Unable to search for text with underscore

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Robert Blomstrand said:

When I search for any text with underscore in it, such as MEDIUSFLOW_FX_GET_DATA, then it is unable to find the text despite clearly seeing it in my notes. 

Hi.  What are you searching for?  In taht example th whole string is one word as far as Evernore is concerned.  If you seach for anything after the 'med' it will not find it.  Evernote only searches the beginning of strings.

3 hours ago, Robert Blomstrand said:

When I search for any text with underscore in it, such as MEDIUSFLOW_FX_GET_DATA, then it is unable to find the text despite clearly seeing it in my notes. 

Is it inside an attached PDF document (even if you see that within your note)?
Do you have a Free account (that cannot search within PDFs)?
Is it a very new note (that hasn't been indexed so far)? (Then wait some time and retry...)

• 2 weeks later...

So yes, I am searching for exactly that text "MEDIUSFLOW_FX_GET_DATA", and I know that exactly that text occurs within documents, but search says nothing found. Not sure I understand the bit about not being able to find anything where I have more than just "med"? I cannot search for "MEDIUSFLOW" for example?

But I know that I can search for "MEDIUSFLOW" for example, and I get a result with everything containing this (including results with "MEDIUSFLOW_FX_GET_DATA"). But if I search for "MEDIUSFLOW_" then it says nothing found - because as soon as I include an underscore it fails to find the text. 

• Evernote Expert

As I noted above, Evernote excludes most special characters  from searches.  As @AlbertR nudged me to say, the underscore is one of those that is included in search results.

So, the question to ask is whether the underscore that you have is an ASCII 095 character or another character that looks like an underscore but isn't recognised as such by a search by Evernote.

Possibly a more likely issue is that the indexing of your notes has become garbled.  You could try rebuilding your local data and see if that gets your search working again. File, Sign Out from your desktop application and select 'Remove my Evernote data from this device' When you sign back in your notes will be recreated and re-indexed.  That might fix your search.  When you sign back in leave your account to carry out the rebuild of your data before initiating a search.  You can use the account and open notes but the full rebuild takes a little while.

If neither of these ideas offers a solution then you'll need to join the queue of those asking for tech support assistance. Mostly those of us here are just fellow users.

1 hour ago, Robert Blomstrand said:

So yes, I am searching for exactly that text "MEDIUSFLOW_FX_GET_DATA", and I know that exactly that text occurs within documents, but search says nothing found. Not sure I understand the bit about not being able to find anything where I have more than just "med"? I cannot search for "MEDIUSFLOW" for example?

But I know that I can search for "MEDIUSFLOW" for example, and I get a result with everything containing this (including results with "MEDIUSFLOW_FX_GET_DATA"). But if I search for "MEDIUSFLOW_" then it says nothing found - because as soon as I include an underscore it fails to find the text. 

I've just tried and I don't seem to have any problems. I tried

stroke_weight
stroke_
stroke_*
stroke
stroke*

and got the expected results. The * seems to be unnecessary. As well as @agsteele's suggestion you could try the web version of EN to see if that gives the same results - the web version does not use your local database.