I'm currently switching to the new Evernote on Android.
I've been using the legacy version so far!

Since the update, my links on the Android home screen no longer work.
For example, I had a link to one of the favorites there so I could quickly access it.

Can someone help me how to set up these shortcuts on the Android home screen again? Unfortunately I couldn't find such an option in the widgets!

• Level 5

Sadly, the widgets to individual notes no longer exist in Evernote 10 for Android. We all hope they'll bring them back, but they do not seem to be a priority. It's a real loss. There is a widget for Shortcuts, so if the notes you want widget links to are in your shortcuts, you could get to them quickly that way.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your tips!!

I just tested the current Android version and found that it still has massive potential for improvement.
It's a shame that a once great program loses so many useful functions through further development that it becomes almost unusable ;-(

I'll probably continue to use the "legacy" version 6.x for some further time.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You rant on, but spare us one single example of a feature that would help you when using the Android client.

More substance, less emotion IMHO would be a step forward.

No problem, I can do it without emotions 😉

I have been a paying Evernote customer since 2011 and have been VERY satisfied with Evernote up to version 6.x!!
The changes after that have severely limited the user experience for me as I have to work quickly and efficiently!!
This also works great with the legacy version offered!

Nevertheless, I try to update to the current version every 6-12 months, as I certainly understand why the old legacy version should be discontinued!

In my experiment this week I found the following:
1.) The synchronization is MUCH slower than in the old version!!

2.) Unfortunately, downloading the offline notebooks does not work well
My Samsung Galaxy S22 hasn't managed to sync my approx. 4000 notes offline after 3 days!
I noticed the same thing on my Galaxy Tab.

3.) There are always incorrect attachments in my notes that can be used without any problems in the old version! (see the screenshot)

4.) The ability to get favorites and notebooks on Android as an icon on the desktop was possible without any problems in the old version, but this is no longer available in the current version.

5.) I currently back up my Evernote in Windowes (V6.x Legacy) notebooks automatically (via ENScript.exe) every week via a task in Windows. This function is no longer available in V10.x!

6.) Automatic import via the import folder still cannot delete files after they have been imported.

7.) The initial menu cannot be configured so that I can just see the list of my notes without having to use any widgets

These are just a few of the points that work great in the legacy version and prevent me from working efficiently in the new version! I'm sure I'll find more if I look longer!

I would be happy if Evernote found its usual flexibility again, then I would be happy to switch to the new version!! If I have overlooked functions that I show here, I would be happy to receive the relevant information!

In the meantime, I have reinstalled the legacy versions on Android and Windows and am waiting patiently until the current version of Evernote has all the necessary functions that I need and really appreciate.

Kind regards, Paul
Please excuse the bad English, it's not my native language!

Pictures failure.jpg

OfflineSync_after_2days.jpg

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, pbelcl said:

In my experiment this week I found the following:
1.) The synchronization is MUCH slower than in the old version!!

2.) Unfortunately, downloading the offline notebooks does not work well
My Samsung Galaxy S22 hasn't managed to sync my approx. 4000 notes offline after 3 days!
I noticed the same thing on my Galaxy Tab.

3.) There are always incorrect attachments in my notes that can be used without any problems in the old version! (see the screenshot)

4.) The ability to get favorites and notebooks on Android as an icon on the desktop was possible without any problems in the old version, but this is no longer available in the current version.

5.) I currently back up my Evernote in Windowes (V6.x Legacy) notebooks automatically (via ENScript.exe) every week via a task in Windows. This function is no longer available in V10.x!

6.) Automatic import via the import folder still cannot delete files after they have been imported.

7.) The initial menu cannot be configured so that I can just see the list of my notes without having to use any widgets

I'm sorry that you seem to be having challenges using the v10 software. If it doesn't work for you then I can understand why you prefer to go back to the Legacy software. I share my experience to see if it might assist you in knowing where you might make progress.

1. I find the sync virtually instant.  I was just typing in a note in one Window and can see the text updating simultaneously on my other device. The Real Time Edit/Sync process is about as fast as it can be but, of course, this requires all the devices involved to be v10. It also requires the mobile devices to be brought to the foreground. In this case I usually find the devices catch up within a very few seconds.

2. I agree that the offline notebook process for mobile is slow.

3. I haven't seen these unviewable attachments on mobile for sometime but I can unerstand why this would be a problem.

4. I have no problem in creating a shortcut to a note on my device screen on my mobile device. This function was broken for a week or two earlier in the summer but has been working fr sometime. I manage shortcuts more generally with the shortcuts widget. Perhaps not what you would like but it may do what you need.

5. There are several ways of achieving this. I use the Github evernote-backup project. Others prefer Backupery but this is not free

6. Yes, but it is extremely easy to automate this within Windows. I have a batch file that runs on my preferred schedule

7. I'm not clear which app you are referring to. The Windows desktop app and Android app both open wherever you leave them. So leave in Note view and that's where you will return.

Have you raised a support ticket for the issues that a fully broken (rather then not workingf as you would like)? The attachment view issue, for example, is not intended to work as you experience and it would seem to be a bug although not affecting everyone.  The issues that don't work as you would like might be better submitted via the Feedback in the apps which generate an Email to feedback@evernote.com

Meanwhile you might want a plan for the day when Legacy stops working unless you can make peace with v10.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'm sorry that you seem to be having challenges using the v10 software......

Thank you for the very detailed tips!! Some of these helped to see a little more clearly!
The new version is well on its way, but as long as the legacy version is supported, I'll wait a little longer!

The following points must be 100% solved before I can make the switch.

2.) I have to be 100% confident that all data is available! Incorrect images or attachments that are not transferred are a no-go!!

3.) Offline notebooks have to work much faster! It can't be that a device for approx. 4000 notes needs longer than a few hours to download them completely!

5.) On the subject of built-in backup, I see Evernote's duty to make this possible. I'm sure that external solutions work, but it's not acceptable for me to deal with them separately in the long term. The functionality from V6.x simply needs to be integrated into 10.x.

So I'll try again in a few months 😉

• Level 5

There IS no viable backup function on legacy using the „export all notes“ method. It is an invention, a complete make up, and only shows who tells has never ever tested it.

When using the „Export all to ENEX“ possible with legacy, the result is one single huge ENEX file (you can break it down into chunks, but this effectively doesn‘t make a difference).

First a file of that size will not import well into most competing notes apps. Furthermore it will not even re-import seamlessly into EN. Why ? Because with any larger account, you will get beyond the 10GB / 20GB monthly upload limit.

If it does import, you will quickly find out that all notes are in one single notebook (or in one notebook per chunk file). The information about which note belongs into which notebook will nowhere be found, because it is no part of the ENEX file structure.

So if you ask for „all notes export“, you never tried.

What does work with legacy as it works with v10 is to export each notebook into its own ENEX file. You can import it, it will move the content into a new notebook, you name the notebook like the old one was called, and you are done. This functionality for a working backup is available in v10, as it was available in legacy.

Not really good, but when comparing legacy and v10, they are on par.

26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There IS no viable backup function on legacy using the „export all notes“ method. It is an invention, a complete make up, and only shows who tells has never ever tested it.

I'm feeling emotions again, but I'll leave that with you 😉

In the legacy version, I've been backing up every SINGLE notebook for YEARS via ENScript.exe with a small commandline batch!
I can post these commands here if desired....

This makes it very easy to import these generated *.enex files back into Evernote Legacy Version!
If you don't know that, you've never done it 😉

In my case there are several notebooks that do not exceed 1GB in size, so I can easily import them again.
Either in Evernotge or in other products like Joplin, just for example. I've used this a few times in practice!

I've been an Evernote customer since 2011 and I really like the product, otherwise I would have chosen something else.

What I cannot accept is when important basic functions of a program are suddenly no longer available.

Because it is MY data in this program and I have to make sure that I can back it up appropriately!

Please let me know if there is another backup option in the current version of Evernote 10 that I missed? Because this functionality is one of the most important ones that is still holding me back with the legacy version!

• Evernote Expert
15 minutes ago, pbelcl said:

Please let me know if there is another backup option in the current version of Evernote 10 that I missed? Because this functionality is one of the most important ones that is still holding me back with the legacy version!

I get that you were using ENScript to achieve your backup. That function now only exists outside Evernote but if you are competent scripting with ENScript you'll not have any problems with the evernote-backup project I mentioned previously. If you want to achieve this inside Evernote then your only option is to manually export each notebook in v10.  Given that this is one notebook at a time I can see that this probably won't work for you.

Of course you have the option to continue to work with Legacy for now but I would strongly advise that you make a good plan for the future of your notes since the writing is on the wall for Legacy.  I'd say you have months but not years to make your plan and decide where to go.

Why not try evernote-backup while you still have Legacy running.  It will work outside the app so you can try it and see if it does what you need. I understand that evernote-backup is a clone of ENScript so you may well be familar with it.

Download: https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup/releases/tag/1.9.2

Configuration instructions in the section headed Usage: https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup#usage

• Like 2
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, pbelcl said:

In the legacy version, I've been backing up every SINGLE notebook for YEARS via ENScript.exe with a small commandline batch!
I can post these commands here if desired....

I've been an Evernote customer since 2011 and I really like the product, otherwise I would have chosen something else.

What I cannot accept is when important basic functions of a program are suddenly no longer available.

We're obviously way off topic in the Android forum here, but the function removed is ENScript, not anything to do with export as such. Correct? In general, as far as I understand it (which is not deep!), the use of the Electron framework in v. 10, which allows simpler programming and relatively uniform functions and interface across platforms, makes it harder or impossible for external scripting programs to act on Evernote functions. Hence no more ENScript, which is a shame, but that is the tradeoff.

Dave-in-Decatur
You're right, I'm wrong with the ENScript.exe discussion here!
I will no longer post any comments on this topic here and will open a separate thread for it if necessary!
Sorry that it “escalated” so much
😉

I'll look here in the forum to see if I can find a way to make a "feature request" for the functionality of the shortcuts in Android. That was the original reason for my request!

Thanks to everyone who wants to help me here!!

• Level 5
On 9/22/2023 at 5:21 AM, pbelcl said:

Dave-in-Decatur
You're right, I'm wrong with the ENScript.exe discussion here!
I will no longer post any comments on this topic here and will open a separate thread for it if necessary!
Sorry that it “escalated” so much
😉

I'll look here in the forum to see if I can find a way to make a "feature request" for the functionality of the shortcuts in Android. That was the original reason for my request!

Thanks to everyone who wants to help me here!!

No worries! Take a look here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/728-evernote-for-android-requests-versions-100-and-above/.