Why is it so hard to pay Evernote?

Here is a screenshot of the error. (I've been getting this for weeks)

It really shouldn't be this hard to pay Evernote.

And also, while you're reading - if someone from Evernote is reading -:

• Please improve readability and aesthetics. Features are fine, but we want to come back to something nice everyday. The webclips are terrible.
  • Speed and reliability

image.thumb.png.099027e1b99742a38f3ab5d67db4ad9d.png

I've tried on FF and Chrome. With and without adblock. With and without VPN.

Messaging official handle on Twitter

Messaging main in-charge on Twitter.

..... nothing.

This is product 101. Why make it hard for people to pay?

• Level 5
5 hours ago, akash47 said:

And also, while you're reading - if someone from Evernote is reading -:

• Please improve readability and aesthetics. Features are fine, but we want to come back to something nice everyday. The webclips are terrible.
  • Speed and reliability

Someone may be reading in some threads, but probably not every thread. In any case, my two cents as a fellow user would be that aesthetics are really subjective. I personally find Evernote pleasant enough for a tool that I use every day, though hardly a work of art. But if the issue is Web clips, can you say some more about what you see wrong with them? After all, their appearance is largely dependent on the original Website, I would think.

Regarding speed and reliability, they say they are working diligently on those issues: https://evernote.com/blog/future-proofing-evernotes-foundations/. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, agsteele said:

Try a support ticket for Billing.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true

This looks like Pay Now isn't working.

Thank you,

But this is seriously the worst UX possible. How do I raise a ticket where this is no submit button.

image.thumb.png.3dbe59367d864f90c8233235f09e628d.png

15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Someone may be reading in some threads, but probably not every thread. In any case, my two cents as a fellow user would be that aesthetics are really subjective. I personally find Evernote pleasant enough for a tool that I use every day, though hardly a work of art. But if the issue is Web clips, can you say some more about what you see wrong with them? After all, their appearance is largely dependent on the original Website, I would think

You're right about that  - aesthetics is subjective. However, web clips > simplified should be a lot closer to "reader view" . But it isn't. (I'm on Firefox). The evernote "simplified" clip had huge blurry images, headers, footers, email sign up forms etc. Just not usable at all. It was this article. I could write a detailed (and admittedly more helpful post) - but right now I need to figure out how to pay.

image.png

Edited by akash47
  • Level 5*

I just tested the link ending in 'true' above - it gives me a completely different page to the one you posted,  which is asking me to describe my issue.  Please try the link again - maybe clear your browser cache if it doesn't give you a better option..  

• Level 5
On 9/15/2023 at 9:20 AM, akash47 said:

You're right about that  - aesthetics is subjective. However, web clips > simplified should be a lot closer to "reader view" . But it isn't. (I'm on Firefox). The evernote "simplified" clip had huge blurry images, headers, footers, email sign up forms etc. Just not usable at all. It was this article.

My perspective is that all of that is due to the structuring and contents of the Web page. Figuring out what to eliminate in "simplifying," without a checklist of what the user does and doesn't want, is tricky, I would think, and Evernote tends to minimally simplify. Why the images are blurry is harder to say--I haven't seen that in other pages I've clipped.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:05 PM, gazumped said:

I just tested the link ending in 'true' above - it gives me a completely different page to the one you posted,  which is asking me to describe my issue.  Please try the link again - maybe clear your browser cache if it doesn't give you a better option..  

Figured it out. The trick is to only select something in the first couple of drop downs.

Resist temptation to leave the others dropdowns untouched.

And then have the intuition to scroll down below the fold for the "raise ticket" button.

@gazumped - sorry, I'm not being snarky towards you. Just towards Evernote 😃
I think they should do better.

Meanwhile, I can only sign into 2 devices. Technically. But in practice, I'm logged out of computer and web. It should have been only one of those two. (only mobile works). User hostile.

image.png.fdf1576f720260ec89ad980ad73a3b13.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, akash47 said:

But in practice, I'm logged out of computer and web.

Yeah - the device thing means that if Evernote's server shows more than two devices as 'authorised',  then you're locked out unless you have an unsync available / wait out the ban / or subscribe.  Ironically you have to have access to your Web account to unsync. 

I have sympathies with Evernote - they must have a huge overhead of users who were able to use their features at low level for years without actually paying for them.  The company is trying to 'educate' the market into understanding that the free account is mainly for testing the features to make sure the product is suitable before you make the commitment to pay,  and not just a good way to manage your shopping lists on a long-term basis.  Equally the full price is a big commitment,  and while there are some good offers (there's a 'back to school 40% discount floating around somewhere,  I believe...) they only last for one year. 

I've seen a few shock horror reactions to users who paid a discounted 'old' price last year and are now expected to pay the full new price this year - a 100%+ increase!

Your quick route back to your notes is to subscribe - for a month or so if you can - or to contact Support if you have trouble paying.  Good luck with that.

-And don't worry about the snark;  perfectly understandable..^_^

13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I have sympathies with Evernote - they must have a huge overhead of users who were able to use their features at low level for years without actually paying for them.  The company is trying to 'educate' the market into understanding that the free account is mainly for testing the features to make sure the product is suitable before you make the commitment to pay,  and not just a good way to manage your shopping lists on a long-term basis...

Evernote can only blame itself, as Evernote Free is marketed as one of the choices for an ongoing plan (and not as a temporary test).

• Like 2

Hopefully - but in that case a reasonable response would have been to get back to me. Say it's an edge case. Upgrade my plan from the backend until I can pay.

Currently I'm in limbo and the last message from CS was 4 days back.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, akash47 said:

the last message from CS was 4 days back.

If you can log in,  you should see your ticket details here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/ - and be able to ask for an update.  Alternatively you can remind CS from the last email - but 4 days is not an excessive delay for a big-company support team!