I need something with a bookmarklet

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't remember Evernote ever having a 'bookmarklet' - what do you remember it doing?  And why do you imagine Clipper is 'privacy invading'?  It's something that -at your specific request - will copy some details of a web page into your Evernote database.  Evernote don't monitor page visits or sell your activity elsewhere...

Any browser extension that requires what Firefox calls the "Access your data for all websites" permission (other browsers have a similar permission) has the ability to track your browsing habits. The Evernote Web Clipper requires that permission, as would any full-featured clipping or bookmarking extension. Based on Evernote's reputation, I am willing to trust them to not write an extension that would abuse this permission and track me on sites / pages that I don't tell the extension to clip or bookmark. I could change my mind on that, but I would need specific evidence that they abuse this permission. @Everuser1234 do you have any evidence that the extension is monitoring your browsing even when you aren't using it to bookmark a page? Have you tried disabling it, then when you actually want a bookmarklet, briefly re-enabling it again?

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 10:08 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I don't remember Evernote ever having a 'bookmarklet' - what do you remember it doing?  And why do you imagine Clipper is 'privacy invading'?  It's something that -at your specific request - will copy some details of a web page into your Evernote database.  Evernote don't monitor page visits or sell your activity elsewhere...

Yes, it's true. There used to be a bookmarklet. I still have the code, but it stopped working a long time ago.

The advantages are clear: you don't need to install the browser extension! Some companies, like mine, don't allow employees to install browser extensions.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, fjgirante said:

The advantages are clear: you don't need to install the browser extension! Some companies, like mine, don't allow employees to install browser extensions.

But.  It no longer works.  Find a work-around or move on...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, fjgirante said:

[snip] I still have the code, but it stopped working a long time ago. [snip]

I take it you've already checked out https://dev.evernote.com/ and https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/163-evernote-integrations/ ?

It's a deviously complex problem. No dev team no matter how savvy can reasonably keep up w/ all the browser or OS policy variations that might arise.

• Level 5

Anybody can copy and paste an URL, if this is the idea.

Apart from this there is the Web Clipper with the Bookmark option. Anybody who wonders if the WebClipper is used to supervise users can check on the network traffic. Except when the user demands it by clipping, there is none. Case closed.

image.png.19bcf3b6bbcf4c413e8caaff4d232465.png

Also just a quick mention of the "Paste to Evernote" keyboard shortcut. You can select text from anywhere, including the web browser, copy it and then press alt+ctrl+V (Windows) to create a note with that content in the background wthout leaving the website. The only disadvantage is that you don't get the source url as you would with the webclipper. Alt+Ctrl+V does tend to be unreliable, coming and going with different releases, but it is curretly working for me in 10.97.3

On 7/19/2024 at 8:10 PM, fjgirante said:

Some companies, like mine, don't allow employees to install browser extensions.

12 minutes ago, Mike P said:

The only disadvantage is that you don't get the source url as you would with the webclipper.

As a slight aside, for anybody who is allowed browser extensions but doesn't want to use the webclipper, then the Chrome Browser extension, Auto copy, will allow you to record the url and title of the page as well. Legacy used to do this automatically. So I have it set up that ctrl + dragging selects text and automatically copies it using Auto copy. I then press Alt+ctrl+v to save the note with that content. I do sometimes then need to edit the title of the note, as that is auto populated with the time and the first words in the article.

I mainly use this as a backup if there are problems with the webclipper.

image.png.aab0344af8a2b77baafedeeecc77fad8.png

• Like 1