Syncing continues to be broken in macOS app

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

I have the macOS app running all the time and a particular note is currently being viewed.

The Mac was put to sleep overnight. This morning I updated that particular note on the iOS app.

I now open my Macbook. Evernote for Mac KNOWS that the data for this note has been changed, since it appears at the top of the notes list in the sidebar. Presumably this means that the note data has been synced in the background.

However, the very nasty bug is that this note's contents are NOT updated automatically. Remember it has been selected as the currently viewed note in the Mac app way before the changes were made on iOS.

What I have to do to force the correct updating of the note display is to select ANOTHER note in the sidebar and then select the original note again. 

This is both very annoying and very dangerous because I could be making invalid changes to that out of date note in the Mac app.

Please fix it!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, martinjbaker said:

Please fix it!

Hi.  The Forums are mainly supported by other users.  We're not Support and don't get to fix things - just suggest possible options and work-arounds.  Assuming both your apps are up to date,  and after the introduction of RTE (Real Time Editing) you should be seeing any changes made on one device immediately reflected on another.  If you're not,  then there is something wrong with one or both devices. iOS has recently had an update because of some issues,  which may or may not have helped.

For traction on this situation I'd suggest:

1. sign out of Evernote on both devices off and power them off and back on
  2. if the issue persists - 
    > contact Support
    > let them and us know what devices, OS and Evernote versions you're using
    > confirm that your local internet connection is not subject to firewalls,  AV or VPN restrictions

• Like 1
  • Solution

I can replicate this issue.

• I select a note on Mac (Desktop Evernote 10.60.4).
  • I put the Mac to sleep while having that note selected and opened in the editor.
  • I find the same note on iPhone (Evernote 10.53.1) and edit it and select the green check icon in the top left hand corner to indicate I'm done editing.
  • I wake the Mac up.
  • I notice that the updated time in the snippet list view for the note that is selected shows that it was updated "Just now" (...updated from the iPhone), but the note content itself in the note editor doesn't update.
  • I can then update the note in the same location and it blows away the change made on the iPhone. (I see this data get cleared in real time with RTE on the iPhone.)

My conclusion would be that it is a bug. RTE isn't working when the Mac is sleeping (obviously) and when it wakes up from sleep/hibernate, the note in the editor does not get updated with the latest changes from the server (even though the client knows there was an update).

I think Gazumped's "#2: contact support" is the way to go here to submit this as an issue to them.

Seems like I've seen a couple of (perhaps related) issues mentioned in the forums when the app doesn't properly configure itself after waking from sleep -- but I couldn't say for sure.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Why should EN throw real money after you, when you refuse to throw real money in their direction ?

You get a valuable service for free, and claim they should do more ?

Pay for what you expect, if it is beyond the Free plans limits.

About the bug: We forum regulars usually try to reproduce a mistake. @Boot17 did it, and confirmed it.

Now we can’t see the plan status of any other user. So his advise was that you should drop a ticket.

After we now know you can’t, maybe he will do it himself.

That's a ridiculous argument.

There's a clear distinction between a user taking customer support resources for general questions vs any user reporting a bug. Bug reporting should be available to all regardless of paid/unpaid status.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@martinjbaker Any ticket needs to be served: Accepted, reviewed, answered. This can’t be completely automated, there are real people running down real tickets.

And maybe it will surprise you (so it seems): When these people go home, they need food in the fridge, gas in the tank and rent to be paid. 

You don’t contribute a nickel to this, Mr.Scrooge, so you are out. The two ridiculous things IMHO here are your attitude, and the other post by our brave forum troll.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Doesn’t that reply just scream “take my money?”

? Take who's money for what ?

Free users are always able to raise queries and report glitches through the feedback option in most apps,  and via the service confusingly known as X - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

There are also Facebook and Reddit and LinkedIn groups providing suggestions and help - as (with notable exceptions) here.

If you're using a free app for anything critical,  it is probably time to either pay or move on - if nothing else,  paying gets you access to email help and significantly higher limits on uploads and devices used.  IMHO the free app is for evaluation and occasional shopping lists - not long notes on multiple devices.

17 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Does this dumpster fire of a forum have any admins? It’s like the failures run rampant for everything attached to this app 🤣

Could it be that your personal "better working EN-Alternative" is out of service or so boring that you come by here for trolling, insulting and spreading poison and bad vibes in several threads instead of contributing worthful content and helpful advice?

4 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

New notes app has worked flawlessly. Thanks for asking though.

Happy to hear, so why not concentrate on your new notes app? Havn't they got a forum you can contribute to? 

• Level 5

Actually I had a non sync event yesterday. All other devices (iOS) and web client synced, and the Mac stalled.

Turned out that by accident I had my TripMode app activated. It’s an app that prevents other apps to „call home“ while traveling, to save precious bandwidth and online data volume. It is special with EN: EN uses another channel to check if online than for the syncing. The app doesn’t show it’s offline, but it can’t sync.

After 10 minutes checking this and that, I found the right toggle, and it synced instantly.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@martinjbaker Any ticket needs to be served: Accepted, reviewed, answered. This can’t be completely automated, there are real people running down real tickets.

And maybe it will surprise you (so it seems): When these people go home, they need food in the fridge, gas in the tank and rent to be paid. 

You don’t contribute a nickel to this, Mr.Scrooge, so you are out. The two ridiculous things IMHO here are your attitude, and the other post by our brave forum troll.

It's interesting how quickly things descend into personal attacks and name calling isn't it. Let's keep this civil and on-topic.

1. You seem to think that bug reports are somehow a burden for the company or somehow a privilege (!) for paying users. They are not. They result in a better product for all users. Handling bug reports is simply a cost of running a software business.
  2. A miniscule proportion of users will actually bother to file bug reports. It certainly isn't what the average user does, and it's very easy to tell whether a user is an inexperienced newbie or has been using the product for 14 years (Evernote already has that data) in order to filter what is worth investigation and what isn't.

A snarky attitude isn't helpful to this discussion.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, martinjbaker said:

You seem to think that bug reports are somehow a burden for the company or somehow a privilege (!) for paying users. They are not. They result in a better product for all users. Handling bug reports is simply a cost of running a software business.

I used to run a tech support team,  so let's just say that there are lots of different opnions on that.  Please see my note of an hour ago which mentioned there are a couple of ways to send information to Evernote,  though you won't get any direct help.  Free users are subject to limitations and restrictions in a blatent attempt to get them to pay for the service if they use it in any detail.  Evernote are a business,  after all.  It is possible to have a very low-key use case,  but for anything more detailed it is necessary to pay,  or to find an alternative.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@martinjbaker Since the software is the same on all plans, I think EN receives enough bug reports from the paying peerage to get a pretty good idea of what may be amiss. IMHO it is a more straightforward decision to define support access by plans, than to use these common AI bots who are less than intelligent, but submitting all users to a painful and often useless „1st level“.

But opinions can differ - in the end it’s not us (other users) who define the rules, but EN.