Lost ability to search embedded filed

Go to solution Solved by cfluck,

14 hours ago, cfluck said:

Is there a setting to fix this?

Unless you did not change Your subscription plan, this should work as usual.

But if I remember correct, searching and (more important: indexing) embedded files is server functionality. Maybe older clients did this also locally. Depending on the client you are using (Web, Windows, Mac, ... Version?) local indexing might be not available.

If this is true, You have to wait some time until a new embedded file is synced with the server, indexed there and result is synced back to the client (or at least the client uses the updated index on server site).

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Mike P said:

I don't believe it has. What type of file are you trying to search and what type of subscription plan are you on? See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157

I'm trying to search PDF's.  It used to be that if that PDF was viewed as a page or a full document, I could search the text within that document.  Now, the search function only recognized the title.  I've always been on a personal subscription, and the feature went away a few weeks ago, even for files I used to be able to search.

10 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Unless you did not change Your subscription plan, this should work as usual.

But if I remember correct, searching and (more important: indexing) embedded files is server functionality. Maybe older clients did this also locally. Depending on the client you are using (Web, Windows, Mac, ... Version?) local indexing might be not available.

If this is true, You have to wait some time until a new embedded file is synced with the server, indexed there and result is synced back to the client (or at least the client uses the updated index on server site).

I'm still on a personal subscription plan.  Files I could previously search are no longer searchable.  The option to do so isn't even in Evernote anymore.

• Level 5

There is no „option“ that could be enabled or disable the highlighting of searched content.

New content is indexed.

If the index can be searched, is decided by a switch that exclusively depends on the chosen subscription. It can be temporarily / permanently disabled if the local database is still building (after a reinstall, for example) or if the local database was disabled in settings.

Needless to say that it works for me.

• Level 5

@cfluck, what Evernote client are you using (Windows desktop, Mac desktop, iOS, Android, Web)? And which version of it? If you're on a desktop app, it's possible that your local database has become corrupted. You might want to remove it and restore it, or uninstall and re-install Evernote. Others here have more knowledge of how to do those things on specific systems.

23 minutes ago, cfluck said:

I'm trying to search PDF's.  It used to be that if that PDF was viewed as a page or a full document, I could search the text within that document.  Now, the search function only recognized the title.  I've always been on a personal subscription, and the feature went away a few weeks ago, even for files I used to be able to search.

I'm still unclear about whether you are using the main search system or the search within a note feature or both.

If you search for a word using the search bar it will find all the notes that contain that word, including if that word is in a pdf. If you scroll through the pdf you will see instances of the word highlighted in yellow. If you open the find menu (ctrl+F) this will have been pre-populated with the search term. You can then use the arrows to cycle through the hits.

image.thumb.png.c125579350d3d07a53ff36b93dad8007.png

Note that ctrl+F only works if the note is in "edit mode" (ie you can see the editing bar) while Find and Replace (ctrl+H) works as long as a note is selected in the note list.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm still unclear about whether you are using the main search system or the search within a note feature or both.

If you search for a word using the search bar it will find all the notes that contain that word, including if that word is in a pdf. If you scroll through the pdf you will see instances of the word highlighted in yellow. If you open the find menu (ctrl+F) this will have been pre-populated with the search term. You can then use the arrows to cycle through the hits.

image.thumb.png.c125579350d3d07a53ff36b93dad8007.png

Note that ctrl+F only works if the note is in "edit mode" (ie you can see the editing bar) while Find and Replace (ctrl+H) works as long as a note is selected in the note list.

It wasn't working with either search function.  But I just figured it out.  I had to enable the V10+ Web Client in my settings.  Thanks!