More on Audio files

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I am now using Tables to map out my recording project, and it all looks well ( apart from v10 failing to link to local files)

My problem is that while most MP3s will play audio, some don't. I attach 3 screenshots showing:

1. part of the table,

2. a successful play,

3. an unsuccessful one.

Both MP3s are in the same directory, both play within their respective notes, but one doesn;t ply inm the table - it offers to save it.

Any ideas?

Pete

3 attachments:

Naked Table fragment. ( before playing any audio)

'Tie no Labels' plays fine

'Townshio Idea' gets me a file dialog ( you can see the audio link above the dialog)

pete

Naked Table.png

Tie no Labels.png

Township Idea.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Where are you getting the MP3 files from?  A recording app / external websites / local sound mixer?  Are you able to edit the links behind the icons?  I'd bet that the files that won't play aren't 'just' MP3 files - there's something more complicated going on there...

Thanks Gazumped 🙂

The audio files are on a local external SSD drive.

If you look again at the cel above l: 'Township idea.MP3', you should be able to see the cell to the left, which is a link Township Idea, which links to the parent note for all my notes about that tune, . That note contains exectly the same audio link, which plays immediately.

There's a similar relationship with 'Tie No Labels', where the audio link, on the same SSD drive, plays back instantly.

Also notice the cell to the left of that, which has a similar link to the parent song Tie No Labels

pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 4:27 AM, VincentC said:

BTW, you CAN link to local files... at least I can.  See my comment here:

Vinnie

yes, as soon as I updated EN from the EN website it all worked well.Somehow I had been using the appstore version, naively assuming that they were identical.

pete

• Level 5
  • Solution

The app from the website and the AppStore ARE identical, as far as EN is concerned.

But MacOS runs AppStore versions in a sandbox, each one in its own. This to avoid that malware injected into one can affect another. This at the same time hinders one app to „talk“ freely to others. And this leads to weird, sometimes hard to produce errors.

On the other hand it allows Admins on managed devices to allow users to install software from the AppStore, blocking all free installs.

If you are master of your Mac, I would avoid the AppStore version if a free version is available.

• Level 5

Maybe because it’s like that „since ever“. At least since there is an AppStore. I started with System 6 on a Macintosh SE - back then there were no sandboxes.

Basically the AppStore apps are controlled very similar to iOS apps. There everything is sandboxed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe because it’s like that „since ever“. At least since there is an AppStore. I started with System 6 on a Macintosh SE - back then there were no sandboxes.

Basically the AppStore apps are controlled very similar to iOS apps. There everything is sandboxed.

Luxury! When I were a lad all I had was AtariST 🙂

• Like 1