Pressing back button while editing a note the app exits

Go to solution Solved by DarkUltra,

Hi!

Recently when I press the android back button while editing a note the app exits instead of going back to list of notes. I have tried deleting app storage and reinstalling the app.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

• Level 5
1 hour ago, DarkUltra said:

Hi!

Recently when I press the android back button while editing a note the app exits instead of going back to list of notes. I have tried deleting app storage and reinstalling the app.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Hadn't noticed it before, but now I see that it happens consistently, even when I'm just viewing a note, not editing. Then when I go back to the app through the recent apps, it tries to reload that same note (apparently), but just sits with the spinning circle, even if the note's content is minimal (or empty). It's necessary to use the green back arrow at top left rather than Android back. Let me suggest posting this in the dedicated Android app forum, where it will get better attention from other Android users: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/718-evernote-for-android-issues-versions-100-and-above/.

• Like 1

I am facing the same issue!

I too tried reinstalling. The issue still exists. It's sad to see how the developers are trying to scuttle their own boat by adding unnecessary features, making the app very heavy and hence buggy.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I just tested in the latest version (10.53.01), and found two things: the behavior persists (pressing Android Back while viewing a note exits the app); but when I return to the app, it takes me to the Home page, not the note I was viewing or a spinning circle.

Behavior while editing a note is a little more complex. One press of the back button saves changes and goes from edit to view mode. Another press of it does as above. When I look at the note, the edits are preserved.

All in all, I think this is meant to be a feature, not a bug. That is, the app distinguishes between the Android back button and the green back arrow at top left of the note viewing screen, so you can use one button to leave the app and one button to return from the note to the previous screen in Evernote.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just tested in the latest version (10.53.01), *snip*

All in all, I think this is meant to be a feature, not a bug. That is, the app distinguishes between the Android back button and the green back arrow at top left of the note viewing screen, so you can use one button to leave the app and one button to return from the note to the previous screen in Evernote.

Hi thanks for reply, yes that is correct, pressing the top left green button does bring me back to the previous screen. But this button is difficult to hit, I must use both hands and reach all the way up.

Also, to exit the app I don't have any use for, so it would be best if I could use the Android back button to go back and not exit.

• Level 5
46 minutes ago, DarkUltra said:

Hi thanks for reply, yes that is correct, pressing the top left green button does bring me back to the previous screen. But this button is difficult to hit, I must use both hands and reach all the way up.

Also, to exit the app I don't have any use for, so it would be best if I could use the Android back button to go back and not exit.

I can understand that. Of course, there's not anything I can do about it, since I'm just another user in the forum. If it's a big enough problem, you could contact Support using the link in the Settings in the app.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
23 hours ago, James000 said:

Pressing home key on Evernote for Android closes the app instead of going to the home screen

Which home screen do you want to go to that it's not going to? The phone's home screen, or the Evernote app's home? The Android home key is designed to go to the device home screen, effectively closing any app you're looking at. Or am I misunderstanding?

12 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Which home screen do you want to go to that it's not going to? The phone's home screen, or the Evernote app's home? The Android home key is designed to go to the device home screen, effectively closing any app you're looking at. Or am I misunderstanding?

I'm talking about Evernote home page. When I try to go to the homepage it closes the entire Evernote app

• Level 5

How are you trying to go to the Evernote home page? The device Home key is designed to do what I described, not to go to any particular app's "home" page. To get to the Evernote home page, tap the 3 line button at bottom left and select Home (scroll up if needed).

20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

How are you trying to go to the Evernote home page? The device Home key is designed to do what I described, not to go to any particular app's "home" page. To get to the Evernote home page, tap the 3 line button at bottom left and select Home (scroll up if needed).

Screenshot_20230831_170544_Evernote~2.jpg

• Level 5

OK, thanks. I was confused by "home key." That's definitely not how it should work. (For me, it's working OK.) You may need to uninstall and reinstall the app. You shouldn't lose any data, though if you have any notes made available offline, you might want to temporarily turn that off for them. (I don't honestly know how that feature works in v. 10.) Or contact support using that option in Settings.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, James000 said:

Yes. Don't know why I said home key. Sorry. Was trying to avoid uninstalling but I guess I'll do that again. It's done this before. 🤷

Sorry you have to go through that. If this is a repeating experience, it might well be worth contacting support and sending activity logs so they can try to trace down its origin.

• 3 months later...
  • Solution

I switched to OneNote.

Good things:

It is free and back button works as expected. It also simply shows me a list of recent notes, with vertical scrolling. Yum. And OneNote  opens much faster, and much faster opening the notes themselves.

It also remembers where I was in the notes.

Bad things:

Selection cursor is old. No magnifying lens on moving the selection cursor. And it takes one second to move said cursor to another place.

No recycle bin.

Scrolling notes can easily make them bounce around.

Microsoft is a company that has done many bad things in the past.

Oh and back button in Evernote works as expected now, but I'm sticking to OneNote