New problem with duplicate notes - many placed in inbox folder

Go to solution Solved by eric99,

This morning I found an extra 28 notes in my Inbox which were duplicates of 28 from a 32 note notebook. I had to check the originals were still there, and have deleted the duplicates. Time consuming. I hope my data is intact generally. I had been doing nothing unusual. Computers were switched off overnight.

I written about this to support-webform@evernote.com. Is there a menu option in the Windows app to raise a ticket or have I done it the right way?

I've searched the forum, and find lots about duplicate notes, but not this particular scenario.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, laurence.glazier said:

an extra 28 notes in my Inbox which were duplicates of 28 from a 32 note notebook.

How were those notes created? If you import notes from a folder,  they can sometimes be imported more than once...

Evernote support is at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - not sure what you'll get from the one you mention...

• Level 5

Can confirm there is a problem with the import folder duplicating imports recently. I have the same on my Mac: Dropped one file (only one) into my import folder, and got 6 identical notes created. It can happen as well when dropping several files. Interestingly some are imported several times, others do fine.

I check and erase the duplicates. Nothing corrupted, nothing lost, just more of the same.

We had a small thread here in the forum about it maybe a week ago, so I think it may be related to 10.58.8 or 10.59.5. Was traveling and couldn‘t raise a support ticket.

• Solution
5 hours ago, laurence.glazier said:

This morning I found an extra 28 notes in my Inbox which were duplicates of 28 from a 32 note notebook. I had to check the originals were still there, and have deleted the duplicates. Time consuming. I hope my data is intact generally. I had been doing nothing unusual. Computers were switched off overnight.

I written about this to support-webform@evernote.com. Is there a menu option in the Windows app to raise a ticket or have I done it the right way?

I've searched the forum, and find lots about duplicate notes, but not this particular scenario.

Another way to get duplicates (in the windows client) is to accidentally double click an enex archive. It will immediately be imported in your default notebook without confirmation 🙄

I prevent this kind of accidents by associating .enex files to a non-invasive app like notepad++ instead of evernote.

• Like 2

The trouble is, I have pinned my Evernote icon to my Windows 11  taskbar. Sometimes to open Evernote, I need to right click on it and select the app. But Windows shows recent enex files above, and in this case clicked on one by accident. I remove the enex files when I see them and remember. I have reassigned the file extension to Notepad (thanks @eric99) but I think it still imports to Evernote when such a file is clicked in the taskbar context. Maybe there is a way to stop them appearing above the launch button. Now I am usually launching Evernote with my Win-Shift-G AutoHotkey macro straight to the Evernote "Switch to" menu, but I like the option of opening from the taskbar too.

• Level 5

That’s Windows creating the right click content. I am not aware you can turn it on or off. Maybe by going to the registry - but that’s deep in the engine room.

And sure, when you import an ENEX file, it will (surprise) create a bunch of new notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, laurence.glazier said:

Sometimes to open Evernote, I need to right click on it and select the app.

A right-click opens the extended menu,  but a left-click (or two) should be all you need to open the app...  ??

• Like 1

@gazumped That's right, just a following single left click suffices. Perhaps I was distracted and the pointer moved up to the enex file before I tapped. Anyway I have extended my Win-Shift-G universal shortcut to open the app if necessary before going to the Switch-to search, so it is less likely to happen in future.

In case it's useful to somebody: (Bold portion to be replaced as appropriate, and thanks to GPT for help!)

#+g::  ; This represents Win-Shift-G

IfWinNotExist, - Evernote
{
   Run, "C:\File\Path\Evernote\Evernote.exe"
}
WinActivate, - Evernote

Send, #+f  ; This sends Win-Shift-F
Sleep, 100  ; This waits for 100 milliseconds to make sure the previous command has time to register
Send, ^q  ; This sends Ctrl-Q
return

• Like 1