How do I get to know the size of my whole Evernote database?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have been a longtime paid Evernote subscriber. Right now, due to some payment issues, I am stuck with the free version of Evernote and using it on the web.

I would like to be able to know the total size of all my notes together, i.e, of my entire Evernote database/repository. Is there a way to do this? I see some answers saying how to do this on Mac or Windows, but I think even that interface is gone with the new EN updates. I have no idea how I can find out the total size of all my notes.

Best,

Arushi

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not being cheeky,  but why?  If you have the app installed on local storage you'll be taking up some space,  but there's a setting not to store data locally which means you'll have a temporary file of current notes only while the app is open.  You can't then work offline.

If you do store locally,  Windows files will be at C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote although from version 10.59 onwards you can relocate that store if necessary.  Viewing file on the web app is similar - it downloads a local copy of your searches and edits while the app is open.

If you're looking to extract your files,  you need to export each notebook to an ENEX file,  so again total size (unless it's all one big notebook) is academic.

Hi gazumped,

thanks for your response.

So, let's just say if I wanted to know for academic reasons, how could I find that out?

I would like to know the total size that all of my data is consuming in a cloud somewhere. Would love to know how to do that. After all, its is my own data.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just a few of your options:

You check the size of the local database on a desktop, after a full download.

You make a full offline download to a mobile device, and check the app data.

You export everything to ENEX, put them all into a folder and look up the folder size.

Don’t like any of them ? Ask support.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution
1 hour ago, ag14 said:

After all, its is my own data.

Absolutely agree - as does Evernote. As my pachydramatical* friend kinda points out,  the easiest way may be to open Evernote on a desktop if you can (free users have those darn device limits to avoid...) and then go to the Notebooks page and export each notebook to a separate ENEX file.  That will show you "a" file size,  although how much space the data occupies on the server may be different.  If it's any help I now have a little over 62000 notes and my database (in Legacy) is currently 29GB.

According to my hazy maths that means my average database size per note is about 40K - because I have pictures / PDFs / web pages and all sorts of stuff saved in there.  Your mileage (as they say) may vary...  

*(c) me

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 2:44 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Not being cheeky,  but why?  If you have the app installed on local storage you'll be taking up some space,  but there's a setting not to store data locally which means you'll have a temporary file of current notes only while the app is open.  You can't then work offline.

If you do store locally,  Windows files will be at C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote although from version 10.59 onwards you can relocate that store if necessary.  Viewing file on the web app is similar - it downloads a local copy of your searches and edits while the app is open.

If you're looking to extract your files,  you need to export each notebook to an ENEX file,  so again total size (unless it's all one big notebook) is academic.

It's not academic. There are lots of practical reasons why you would want to know the overall library size.

I am about to export everything (about 30000 notes most with attachments and most in one notebook) as a backup using evernote-backup (https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup) and I'm not sure it will fit on my drive. It would be nice to know before wasting time.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PeteHarris said:

I am about to export everything (about 30000 notes most with attachments and most in one notebook) as a backup using evernote-backup

Hmmn.  I wonder how it handles running out of space?  Or,  come to that,  the need to export one notebook at a time (because there's no metadata for notebook and restoring a mixed export would put all the notes in one notebook).  You might want to ask the developer about that.

As to database size,  the storage used on your desktop device will differ from the exported size,  because the github app converts your content into (I think) a SQLite database and I have no idea whether that is more or less efficient than Evernote's native storage.

To get a general idea you might search for any Evernote folders on your device and check their total size - on a Windows device the content will be here (unless you changed it) - C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote

I have around 68,000 notes and my overall storage at that location is 38GB - as a very rough estimate your export should be around 20GB (but you may need somewhat more space while the app is processing the export.)

• Level 5

BTW the GitHub export project doesn’t need to run on the same device as any EN client. It uses the API and pulls the data from the server.

Since it can run in a Docker, it can even be installed on any device able to run Docker. If EN supports the OS is not relevant. Can be a server, a NAS or even one of the more potent Raspberry Pi models.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

FWIW... My local Evernote data takes about the same amount ofof storage as the evernote-backup storage (adding together the SQL database plus the exported ENEX).

So I ended up with 22GB in the backup file.

It's nice that the evernote-backup program syncs, so that if it fails at any stage (due to internet problem or whatever) you just re-run 'evernote-backup sync' and it goes from where it was.

When I look at the data in the SQL Lite file the title for each note is readable, but the note content is just code so don't expect to look at text or images etc. in the notes.

Anyway it served it's purpose for me and was quite fast. I will need to test recovery to be completely happy.

• Like 2