Does anyone have a tip for a alternative product after huge price increase of Evernote

On 7/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, info@drycoatingcompany.nl said:

Because of the huge price increase and no explanation whatsoever of how Evernote wants to justify this price increase, I am looking for an alternative.
Too bad because I thought Evernote was a great product.

Evernote is a tool that can be used for 101 use-cases. I am a domainexpert in a specific set of use-cases of using Evernote. If you do things similar to my use-cases, then it is VERY difficult to find an alternative. If your use-case is simple jotting notes and a little searching, then ANY tool will work. If you only want to use it for basic tasks, then any task-tool will suffice. Any use-case in the middle have different answers. I hope I helped you out. If you need more help, please describe your use-cases in detail and people can chime in.

• Like 2
On 7/15/2023 at 5:57 AM, info@drycoatingcompany.nl said:

and no explanation whatsoever of how Evernote wants to justify this price increase

Here is some justification for it that I have seen (in case you haven't seen it already): https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/

Whether one agrees with the price increase justification is another thing altogether!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Here is some justification for it that I have seen (in case you haven't seen it already): https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/

Whether one agrees with the prices justification is another thing altogether!

Yes, exactly. A bit of a logical vision:  they want to be viable as a company. Evernote was not doing well before. They ask a price. They deliver features. They deliver bugs. We decide whether we like it. 🙂  For me, I'd pay double if it were bug-free, much more speedy and had a few features such as sorting-by-tag-column. For me: Well worth it, in that case. For others: not so much. Then pick another tool. 

• Like 2

I just went through the process of cancelling and resubscribing right before the cancel (to get the 40% discount off the new increased price -- which means that the cost is about the same as last year) so I'm in for another year. For me personally, I'm still getting good value for my money now. We'll see where it's at next year and I have a pretty good plan B so no worries here.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MvdH said:

Yes, exactly. A bit of a logical vision:  they want to be viable as a company. Evernote was not doing well before. They ask a price. They deliver features. They deliver bugs. We decide whether we like it. 🙂  For me, I'd pay double if it were bug-free, much more speedy and had a few features such as sorting-by-tag-column. For me: Well worth it, in that case. For others: not so much. Then pick another tool. 

I just wonder what the chance of any development, or even bug fixes, seeing as the entire development team was just liquidated.

Seems unlikely that a new team can be assembled. Lot of internal knowledge was lost.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, markeh said:

Seems unlikely that a new team can be assembled. Lot of internal knowledge was lost.

I think Bending Spoons is relying on their existing 400+ experienced staff and their history of developing a huge user base for several AI-based apps for the mobile market.  The 'old' Evernote staff seemed like they were still learning how to use Elektron features to extend Evernote and had little AI experience.  I'd hope the loss would not be too great.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

PS Please don't post more than once about a given topic - I deleted one post that hadn't yet had a response but this query still comes up twice 

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/146778-does-anyone-have-a-tip-for-a-alternative-product-after-huge-price-increase-of-evernote/

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/146788-price-increase/

I think the posts reflect the high levels of concern of people who depend on EN. Bending Spoons could make much of this go away by better communication with their user base. I've seen nothing that they have done to lower the temperature, presumably lack of knowledge or lack of interest.

In the absence of this, given everything that has happened with EN - ownership change, pricing, location changes, staff dismissals - it's only prudent to be looking at alternatives. Hence multiple postings.

If anyone has a non-Evernote location (Reddit, for example) where these things can be discussed outside of EN control, I would appreciate the information.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, markeh said:

If anyone has a non-Evernote location (Reddit, for example) where these things can be discussed outside of EN control

There are groups in Facebook and Reddit,  and probably elsewhere but Evernote has historically been fairly relaxed about what's discussed here and does not,  to my knowledge,  exercise any great control over content.  I'm another user who has been contributing to this forum for a long time,  and I and a few volunteer colleagues act as moderators and answer queries and suggest work arounds where we can.  If you post multiple times it's pretty pointless because you're talking to the same audience each time and -theoretically- will get more or less the same comments.  Also it's against one of the few rules... https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/

1 hour ago, markeh said:

If anyone has a non-Evernote location (Reddit, for example) where these things can be discussed outside of EN control, I would appreciate the information.

You probably already know about the Evernote subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/. I've been following it for a few years and there are always a ton of recommendations for other apps there. Seems most of the posts there are griping about Evernote and plugging alternatives. Here is a google search query that will return scores of posts over the last few years from that subreddit where people have commented specifically about alternatives: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Areddit.com%2Fr%2Fevernote+alternative.

Here is also a site you could check out -- might be helpful: https://noteapps.info/

• Like 1

I am still with Evernote after price increase but tested some things:

Notion: You can do anything and that can become a problem. Building system becomes a job and you missing out doing the actual work.

Nimbus: Yep, comes close to be a king. Tags are not there yet. Company moves really fast. If you like EN, Nimbus gives that feeling.

Obsidian: Some EN gurus are also using this. Looks like the future, but if you like simplicity and avoid getting  in building "the system", pass it for now.

One Note: I use it in my current work (can use EN a company work with Office 365). Workflow is different BUT 

The good

1. Support Right to left text.

2. Plays nice with Excel.

3. Notebook structure makes sense and this is the main thing for organizing.

4. Page less design or choose page design.

5. Super fast export to Outlook (share with email and bam, the page is in outlook).

6. Math support.

7. Super fast export to PDF (Press button and its there).

8. PC client is a native app so its fast and responsive (some folks hate EN V10 for being a web app).

I get it why some people Love One Note. If Microsoft will support it like they do with Excel, it can be a huge success.

If you are a big on tags, you will not like One Note. But some EN gurus are avoiding tags (I was big on tags but made poor design choices in EN so i quit, rely on folder design).

The Bad

1. Android version sucks (remember that page less design thingy?).

2. Online and Offline content don't look same. I work only with offline version (PC version). May be it Right to Left text issue.

3. Online version is with simplified toolbar.

• Thanks 1