in Tasks internal link ( in app ) to a specific note

OneNote Lover
Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Idea

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
  • Solution
30 minutes ago, OneNote Lover said:

for example when I make a Task to call someone ....

Hmmn - but why not add that task to the same note?  All your tasks show up in Task view wherever they are,  and when you click on that task you have the option to go directly to that note if you wish...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  As you may have already discovered, it's possible to paste a long plain internal URL into a task,  but there's no current way (AFAICS) to turn that into a shorter link within Evernote.

I looked at a link-shortener (Bit.ly) to see whether that might help,  but it won't accept in-app links (the ones that start evernote://).  You can convert a huge long web page link into something like http://bit.ly/3pxMXf4  - which will open in a browser.  (That link is now inactive)

Another option might be to create a table of contents note with any number of 'child' notes listed,  and add your task to the ToC

Don't know if there are any other suggestions out there...

To help Evernote consider whether this feature request might be worthwhile,  can you explain a little more about why you need to link to another note,  instead of say just adding another task in that note or using the ToC idea?

Create a table of contents

• Like 1

I think this is another example where you need to either go with the design ethos of tasks or try to completely hack the system to make it behave more like a "traditional" task manager. Tasks are just one of the features that can be added to a note. They are clearly subservient to the note. They are not intended to be free standing items that have all the functionalities of a note - eg links and tagging. The tasks view is a way of pulling out all the tasks so that, for example, you can see what you need to do this week. I think the designers expected that if you needed more information, you would open the associated note - which is obviously very easy to do.

The alternative might be to have only one task per note and then use all the note organisation features to organise those notes (ie tasks) in whatever way you want. There are note filters that find only notes containing tasks, completed tasks or uncompleted tasks . You would still be reliant on the task view if you wanted tasks organised by due date and there still wouldn't be links in the actual task so I'm not sure it answers this particular issue.

By the way, I did wonder whether the markdown format for adding a url hiding behind some text - [title](https://www.example.com) - works in tasks like it does in a note - it doesn't.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn - but why not add that task to the same note?  All your tasks show up in Task view wherever they are,  and when you click on that task you have the option to go directly to that note if you wish...

oh ... i hadn't come up with this solution yet .. thank very much .. this helps me for now ....

still i would like to go directly to the Note with a click on a button "N" or "Note"  😉

• Like 1

Have you looked at your tasks using the Note view?  You can open the note directly from this screen.  If your list is long, you can enter a phrase in the search box from the task title that you might remember in the search box and it will take you right there. 

I've also just learned that if you set your Task widget on the home screen to two or more tiles wide, the table for Tasks that Evernote displays includes columns for title, due date, and note.  You can click on the note icon and the note with the task will open.

• Like 1
On 7/2/2023 at 5:12 PM, gazumped said:

I still think it would be useful to have internal links in tasks. I keep my tasks organized by project in a note per project (since there are also no tags on notes tasks, this seems to be the only way to group by project). But often you need some background information to complete a task. Both of these things - organizing tasks by project and making notes on how to complete tasks - seem rather common sense for a professional environment but somehow Evernote makes it currently quite hard to do both. The only way I can think of to do so with the current features seems to keep all of your task in one giant note, organized manually into projects. That simply wouldn't work for me.

Edited by Rense
typo
4 hours ago, AlbertR said:

.... since there are also no tags on notes tasks ...

Indeed, that's what I meant to write, sorry for the confusion. Let me correct it in my post.

• Like 1