Evernote does not load widgets do not save

Is anyone else unable to use their android app? If I try to use quick note widget I get an error when I try to save.

If i try to access my notebooks via shortcut widget evernote fires up but just spins.

When I open up evernote it just keep cycling  like its loading and nothing happening.

Is anyone else having these problems? Should I just uninstall reinstall? Open to suggestions

running 10.51.2

thanks

Screenshot_20230629-230216.png

• Thanks 1

It seems not to be possible to add widgets at the moment. Evernote android app is extremely buggy, and unfortunately getting worse and worse on every update. 🤥😭

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, janndk said:

... Evernote android app is extremely buggy, and unfortunately getting worse and worse on every update. 🤥😭

thanks for the response and thr information.

Yeah it's pretty rediculous,  I keep hoping the next update will clean things up but it keeps breaking differently. My subscription just renewed today and I plan on cancelling.

20 minutes ago, WriterBwonderful said:

thanks for the response and thr information.

Yeah it's pretty rediculous,  I keep hoping the next update will clean things up but it keeps breaking differently. My subscription just renewed today and I plan on cancelling.

My subscription ran out last month, but I was so stupid and naive that I decided to give Evernote one more chance. So, I might also cancel and ask for a refund.

• Evernote Expert

Technically, the Widgets are working just fine. What doesn't work, and hasn't for several updates, is the ability to create a shortcut to a note on the device screen. Any shortcuts already created continue to work but it isn't possible to create a new device shortcut from the option in the note edit menu.

25 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Technically, the Widgets are working just fine. What doesn't work, and hasn't for several updates, is the ability to create a shortcut to a note on the device screen. Any shortcuts already created continue to work but it isn't possible to create a new device shortcut from the option in the note edit menu.

But you can't add new widgets! My workaround (Evernote is all about workarounds!) for missing device screen shortcuts was the shortcuts widget.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

But I can add widgets.  I did so this morning. v10.51.2 / Android 13 / OnePlus 8 device. The two widgets added below the time zone widget from a different app.

Of course, I need to regularly remind myself that my experience is not normative. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for somebody else. And vice versa. A failure on my device may not be universal ;)

Screenshot_2023-07-01-12-17-29-98_b783bf344239542886fee7b48fa4b892.thumb.jpg.70a6f6ac722e3792dea84a516e190d2c.jpg

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

But I can add widgets.  I did so this morning. v10.51.2 / Android 13 / OnePlus 8 device. The two widgets added below the time zone widget from a different app.

Of course, I need to regularly remind myself that my experience is not normative. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for somebody else. And vice versa. A failure on my device may not be universal ;)

Screenshot_2023-07-01-12-17-29-98_b783bf344239542886fee7b48fa4b892.thumb.jpg.70a6f6ac722e3792dea84a516e190d2c.jpg

Yes, there can of course be many reasons for errors, and different devices are reacting in different ways. However, most errors turn out to be caused by Evernote itself 🤔 Which Evernote support usually has quicly acknowledged 👍 ...although they seem not to make any bigger effort to try fix them 👎

On 6/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, janndk said:

My subscription ran out last month, but I was so stupid and naive that I decided to give Evernote one more chance. So, I might also cancel and ask for a refund.

I contaced t support and they got back to me pretty quick and looks like i will have my refund shortly.

• Like 1

Probably related: I tried to use the "simple task" widget on my Pixel 6 android phone to add a task.  I got the red error screen and the task didn't get added.  This is a variation of the red screen error I hadn't seen anyone comment on before.  

I myself am confident that Evernote is prioritizing this and will find a solution.  Meanwhile, I'll work around it

Vinnie

On 7/1/2023 at 12:18 AM, WriterBwonderful said:

Is anyone else unable to use their android app? If I try to use quick note widget I get an error when I try to save.

If i try to access my notebooks via shortcut widget evernote fires up but just spins.

When I open up evernote it just keep cycling  like its loading and nothing happening.

Is anyone else having these problems? Should I just uninstall reinstall? Open to suggestions

running 10.51.2

thanks

Screenshot_20230629-230216.png

Have been having the same issue for a few days when trying to save notes on Android, both on samsung galaxy s7+ and Samsung galaxy s23 ultra.

App opens just fine though

EDIT: The red screen shows up when trying to save a page via browser, to be precise.

Yess dear support this is unacceptable web clipper on latest Android phones and Chrome is not working. Red screens all over and no saving possibility . You will loose a lot of users when this is not fixed fast. 

Screenshot_20230702_172343_Chrome.jpg

On 7/1/2023 at 12:15 AM, agsteele said:

Wish I had known this before uninstalling/reinstalling the app this morning trying to fix that exact issue. Now all my existing shortcuts are gone, and I can't recreate them or add new ones. Has EN made any statements as to a timeline or priority level on getting this fixed? This is beyond annoying to have the option still there in the menu but unusable.

In the meantime I'm using the 'Shortcuts' widget to quickly access notes that I frequently need, but this is less than optimal.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, surfdaworld said:

Has EN made any statements as to a timeline or priority level on getting this fixed?

No. No information. Please submit a ticket to add to the available diagnostic information. In the Android app - Settings / Support 

Having the same problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled but problem persists. Tried submitting a ticket, but I got the loading wheel of death instead. 

Edited by joshuatj
Update
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, joshuatj said:

Having the same problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled but problem persists. Tried submitting a ticket, but I got the loading wheel of death instead. 

Close the app and then try again. Support tickets are, generally, going through.

This widget issue is known and, I understand, receiving attention. We'll see... 

I wanted to ask a question which completely slipped my mind.

Is there a way to use the old version of the android Evernote app ? The app which resembled the PC legacy version?

• Evernote Expert

Yes. You have to download the APK from one of the many APK repositories. It isn't a great fit with v10. I'd strongly recommend all pre v10 and not mix versions any longer. The sync processes are now very different. Be sure to disable automatic updates or the app will just get refreshed and you'll be back with v10 in no time.

Well it makes sense really if one is using Legacy on PC to use an a old version of the app on their phone., otherwise it will perform the same I presume in having legacy notes converted to V10 and visa versa.  hence the drop in performance.

Besides, whilst this current bug is in situ which prohibits us from sharing files to EN via our mobile devices, it makes sense I ditch the latest and revert to the the old version to see how it functions. If it works it'll be blistering fast.

I've also just disabled auto-update so thanks for pointing that out. 

OK, APK hunting time...  

Ok well I've installed the old version of the app and it appears to be downloading headers and snippets etc for all my notebooks. 

However, when I click on a random note it says "The note is currently unavailable"  will this pass once its fully finished doing what ever it's doing ?

Ahh.. oh well, waste of time.. seems I'm going to have to revert back to v10's bloatware with scratch pads and what not and what seems to never find any notes, or worst still, it'll find a note and then modify it when simply trying to read it. I give up...

It was worth the try , the app works but no notes will open so no can do.

The same is happening to me when I try to tick off a task or add a new one on the widget app. A workaround I found was to Force Stop the app and delete the Cache. That then allows the app to work for a few more moments but I very quickly run into the same problems. However this is not a viable option. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 3:33 AM, KoZz said:

Ahh.. oh well, waste of time.. seems I'm going to have to revert back to v10's bloatware with scratch pads and what not and what seems to never find any notes, or worst still, it'll find a note and then modify it when simply trying to read it. I give up...

It was worth the try , the app works but no notes will open so no can do.

I actually had success downgrading my android app and it works perfectly and kept my shortcuts?

It might be worth tracking down a different older version of the app?

I was ready to move to obsidian but now I can take notes quickly again so I am happy. Currently about to install legacy on my  desktop

Not working for me either. Cannot add a new widget.

Pixel 4a

Evernote 10.51.2

We stuck with Evernote through the horrible 10.0 rollout, Bending Spoon's price increase.  Don't make us tolerate more pain.

Tomorrow is my 15th year with Evernote.  

• Level 5

10.52 got released for iOS days ago. It was rolled out fast, but when I read the list of fixes, most of them don't apply to the iOS client. It does what it always does since EN iOS 10.6 - it works pretty well, in general. We could have lived with 10.51 for a while.

No idea what keeps the PlayStore from updating.