Alert "Almost out of storage space"

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

• Level 5*

Hi.  You can ignore it,  but 39GB is a very small amount of free space on any non-Mac system.  There are recommendations that computer users should leave 10-20% free space on their system for the inevitable temporary files and working spaces that operating systems and browsers (and Evernote) require.  Please do an internet search to see whether this affects your specific MacOS version. 

If you have problems running Evernote - or any other software - those issues may be caused or exacerbated by low disk space.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On a Mac, it is little space either.

Try to free some space - anything below 50GB is probably a bit short. MacOS needs some breathing space for temporary files, RAM swapping and other necessary background tasks. And the SSD controller needs some available cells to spread wear&tear evenly.

• Like 1

Hi, I have approx 80gb available space and I too am getting this warning. What can I do about it given IMHO I still have loads of space. Kind of seems over-reach on Evernote's part to tell me to clean up my use of my internal hard disk.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, anklemaxi said:

Kind of seems over-reach on Evernote's part to tell me to clean up my use of my internal hard disk.

Yeah - who needs all those warnings about falling rock,  minefields, and slippy floors.  Why don't these people mind their own business?

- If you want to ignore the warning go right ahead;  Evernote was just trying to help out...  ;)

• Level 5
  • Solution

OK, with 80 GB you should have safe sailing.

EN staff mentioned on my support ticket that they may have a calculation problem for free space on Macs that have storage management through iCloud enabled.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yeah - who needs all those warnings about falling rock,  minefields, and slippy floors.  Why don't these people mind their own business?

- If you want to ignore the warning go right ahead;  Evernote was just trying to help out...  ;)

Evernote = "falling rock, minefields, and slippy floors" ? 🤔

Yes, you are probably right 😉

• Haha 2

I am getting this error too on an iMac even though I have 244gb remaining out of 500gb.  Fwiw i have icloud and dropbox where some majority of the latter are "offline".  I suspect the Evernote calc is including those offline files.  Either way this looks like a bug that needs to be fixed.

• Like 3

Hi, has anybody a solution for that? I cannot see how more than 100GB free space qualifies for "Almost out of storage space" warning. The answer marked as solution is not a solution.

image.thumb.png.1038d4781825e0d57578ce42a9e06a89.png

EDIT: Created a support ticket waiting for response.

Edited by Dietrich
new info
  • Like 2
  • Level 5

On a Mac with enough space (= anything above 50MB available should be safe) click OK and ignore.

As you can already read in this thread (which is a good habit in any case before posting), there seems to be a problem calculating free space if the Mac is under iCloud storage management.

• Level 5

You can choose on a Mac to sync with iCloud, and you can choose that MacOS should manage your local storage. This means it will remove files from local storage, only keeping a link to iCloud. And in this case it seems EN has difficulties to see that there is quite a lot of available memory. It seems they take the advertised size of the files, not the much smaller real size of just the links.

The warning was introduced with EN 10.58.8. Staff said they found a lack of local storage as one root cause of data loss, and decided to implement the warning rapidly. What is missing is an option to move the local database to another drive - should be in the making. And calculating the space on Macs apparently is not based on the real volume of a available storage. I got it with more than 130GB free.

So at the moment we can’t do much about it, just click it away again and again.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can choose on a Mac to sync with iCloud, and you can choose that MacOS should manage your local storage

Is it this option?

image.png.1f7a576e89884f7e704d7588b9cad0c5.png

If yes, one should tell them support that it happens without this option enabled too.

• Level 5

No problem, just tell them.

Support always asks for an activity log - and the only logs I could provide are with that option switched ON. This means even I I wanted to issue a ticket about that is not my issue, I couldn't provide them with any helpful information. My ticket on this issue has run it's course already.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 5:57 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  On a Mac I think the fix is to click 'OK' and ignore the warning.  

This has to be the worst suggestion I've read here so far. I might as well install Windows if I wanted that user experience on a Mac. I hope they fix the issue, because its bloody annoying to have to click something away every single day.