Freshly installed Android Evernote: Showing duplicate default notebook and wrong note counts (+Cannot create new notes due to no default notebook, initially)

Hellow my friends!

I write you here, to find out if others have similar problems with a freshly installed Android Evernote. 

I had the following problem already a long time (half a year?), and hoped the latest version in the App store would fix it. So just uninstalled Android Evernote, and reinstalled version  10.51.1 (updated in the app store May 30, 2023). I've got this problem on both my Samsung S20 Ultra and my Samsung S22 Ultra.

First problem/hurdle: After installation I cannot create new notes AND my default notebook doesn't show in the sidebar.

After installation the first eroneous thing happens. In the left sidebar, my notebooks are not shown correctly. It only shows notebook "Archive". Creating a new note fails, creating a snapshot by camera fails, and I know why.

Workaround to trigger permanent fix: It is because of an error that my Android Evernote does not have a default notebook set. Why? Who knows, my desktop and web version have the default notebook set correctly. Support helped me twice before , and instructed me to create a "TEMP" notebook on the desktop version, make that the default notebook. Then make my original default notebook "Notes" the default notebook again, like it already was in the desktop Evernote. I then delete the "TEMP" notebook. This triggers some kind of sync, and now and only now does Evernote Android function in a way that I can edit and create new notes. Evernote Android is now usable.

Second problem: Now my default notebook is showing twice on Android and the note count is totally wrong.

However, though my default notebook is now showing on the left sidebar and my default notebook is set to "Notes" as it was (and is) on desktop and web version, my default notebook is now shown DUPLICATE eroneously.  And it shows the wrong notecounts.

On Android it now shows as: 

image.png.4377a794cff7034bebea2d5f9959834f.png

on Windows and Desktop it shows correctly:

image.png.3eeded29d160e334bbdb6d53f5c58a0e.png

I've mentioned this to support, and they do not seem to recognize it. They closed my ticket twice, because my first problem was solved. However, it disturbs me and hurts my trust in Evernote, that on a fresh install my data apparantly causes a wrong sync sequence on Android. And I find it disturbing/confusing that I see wrong note counts.

I've searched the forums again and found no posts with similar problems.

My questions to you people are, do you recognize my problems?  Do you know workarounds? Do you know of related posts?

In any case I'll open a support ticket in a week or so, after I heard (or not) from similar problems with others.

Thx in advance! Greetings and a smile,

Mark

• Evernote Expert

I've not experienced this issue nor the note count problem.

I have noticed, in general, far more issues with Samsung devices BUT this may just reflect the much larger market share that Samsung holds.

Sorry.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I haven't experienced anything like this. I only began using Evernote for Android v. 10 in January, when I finally got a new phone. The install with the then-current version went fine, and I've never seen a problem with the default notebook. This is an obvious question, but how much time did you give the new install to "settle in" or do its necessary downloading before working with it? The early problems could (I suppose, only that) be due to the app not having all its data downloaded. I wonder if the duplication of the notebook and wrong notebooks could be fixed by going into the app's data and deleting the cache, and then if that doesn't work the data, then restarting the phone. You'd probably have to log in again after that, and also wait a bit for things to download. Apologies if all this is so obvious that you've already done it.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I had your experience with the default notebook - this was a few months / versions ago now,  so I'd hoped it would be fixed;  but maybe it's back.  I had the same problems - no default notebook / unable to add new notes etc and got similar advice - create a new notebook (on the Android in my case) and make it default,  then add some notes and check via the desktop to make sure they were synced.  I created 'Inbox' and added a few notes,  then went to the desktop and moved them over to the original default notebook.  Oddly I now had two notebooks with that name;  one 'Inbox' and on 'inbox (878910)' (or similar).

I deleted the one with numbers and checked for issues,  then removed the other.  Since when I now see the Deault Notebook correctly on both devices.  No clue what was happening there though,  other than a bad case of smoke and mirrors.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I had your experience with the default notebook - this was a few months / versions ago now,  so I'd hoped it would be fixed;  but maybe it's back.  I had the same problems - no default notebook / unable to add new notes etc and got similar advice - create a new notebook (on the Android in my case) and make it default,  then add some notes and check via the desktop to make sure they were synced.  I created 'Inbox' and added a few notes,  then went to the desktop and moved them over to the original default notebook.  Oddly I now had two notebooks with that name;  one 'Inbox' and on 'inbox (878910)' (or similar).

I deleted the one with numbers and checked for issues,  then removed the other.  Since when I now see the Deault Notebook correctly on both devices.  No clue what was happening there though,  other than a bad case of smoke and mirrors.

Interesting. In my reproduction/workaround I don't get 2 notebooks of the temporary one, but 2 of my default one, containing thousands of notes. I tried once creating a new notebook and move all thousands of note sto the new notebook, resulting in a syncing cascade taking DAYS and DAYS on all my devices with v10. I'm not gonna try that again. B.t.w. the second I deleted ONE of the duplicate notebooks, BOTH would disappear. But the problem came back after the cascade of syncs on my 5 devices was finished.

I suspect my data is corrupted or damaged or legacy or special in some way, cause this problem is repeatable on fresh Samsung Android installs. I assume most people don't have this problem, otherwise I would expect many more people complaining about Android Evernote not working without jumping through hoops. However, we might get some interesting responses to this thread. 

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I haven't experienced anything like this. I only began using Evernote for Android v. 10 in January, when I finally got a new phone. The install with the then-current version went fine, and I've never seen a problem with the default notebook. This is an obvious question, but how much time did you give the new install to "settle in" or do its necessary downloading before working with it? The early problems could (I suppose, only that) be due to the app not having all its data downloaded. I wonder if the duplication of the notebook and wrong notebooks could be fixed by going into the app's data and deleting the cache, and then if that doesn't work the data, then restarting the phone. You'd probably have to log in again after that, and also wait a bit for things to download. Apologies if all this is so obvious that you've already done it.

The longest wait was about a week, waiting for my default notebook to show up and being able to create new notes. Tapping "Sync" in the settings would also immediately say it was in sync and doing nothing. It was not a matter of "settling in". The second I jump through the temp-notebook hoops, within 2 seconds everything works well, except for the duplicate notebook and wrong note counts.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, stevediaz said:

Hope it helps you.

How is the AI bot project going? 

This seems like a late and very general response to the original query,  and it rather ignores the fact that since the OP in June there have been several new versions of the Android app,  one of which - since there were no follow-up posts here - presumably fixed the issue.  (I got 10.55 yesterday.)

I do like the kitchen sink approach of throwing in every possible fix option - including 'use a different app' - but this post doesn't really seem helpful to me.

3/10 for effort

• Level 5
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

How is the AI bot project going? 

This seems like a late and very general response to the original query,  and it rather ignores the fact that since the OP in June there have been several new versions of the Android app,  one of which - since there were no follow-up posts here - presumably fixed the issue.  (I got 10.55 yesterday.)

I do like the kitchen sink approach of throwing in every possible fix option - including 'use a different app' - but this post doesn't really seem helpful to me.

3/10 for effort

Aww. You deleted it before the rest of us could laugh at it. Isn't this the second one from that "Steve Diaz" AI bot account? The account itself needs to be reported.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Aww. You deleted it before the rest of us could laugh at it.

Sorry - I actually gave this post the benefit of the doubt,  hence the reply - but another one,  which I guess is what this was all leading up to,  had a sneaky double URL in it,  one of which lead back to Evernote and the other went off to a spam link - both together looking superficially like one legit link

So lost patience with the joke and nuked the whole account,  which deleted all the posts related to it,  including this one.

The power of the Moderators is exceeded only by their mystery...  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1