Which is better, web or desktop version?

Paid account (personal). Do you know what features the desktop has which the web lacks?

I like to annotate pdfs and add notes for research. Also I use the web clipper a lot.

Thanks!

• Level 5

Couple things:

The Web client does have note history (for paid subscribers).

Two other things the desktop has but the Web client does not: import folders (since the Web client can't know if you're on your own computer) and full keyboard shortcuts (many of which would conflict with shortcuts claimed by the Web browser). A few KB shortcuts do work on the Web browser (such as Ctrl+Alt+1 for the Home page), but there is no list of them.

Personally I prefer the desktop app, but if I were doing a lot of Web clipping the Web client might be handier.

• Like 1

I much prefer the Desktop version as my daily driver. I do love that I can use either when necessary. A few more things not already mentioned that you can do in the Desktop Client, but not in the web:

#1 - Open in New Window. So handy. In the web version you can open a note in a new browser tab or window -- but it's not the same. I keep a permanent note popped out in it's own window and have that aligned very skinny to the right side of my monitor.

#2 - 'Switch To' command. I use this one all the time to do a quick search and find on a note or tag.

#3 - Integration with external apps. Double-clicking on a PDF will open it in the default OS PDF viewer/editor. I like the PDF annotation of the external tool that I use and so I use that instead. It opens it the PDF in the other tool, I can annotate and save and it saves back to Evernote.

#4 - Better keyboard shortcut support.

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

I use the Personal version, contrary to the info on the left. I've returned to the paid plan, and glad I did. But one little issue.

I also use both web and desktop versions of EN. My use of the web version in Chrome usually produces the message "Page is nonresponsive" with the choices of Wait and Reload. Reload doesn't fix it.  My "solution" is to use the EN web on the Edge browser. Anybody experiencing this issue with Chome's EN? Have you fixed it?

• Level 5*

I work mostly in the installed desktop app (Win11 & 10.77.3) but on occasion (usually for queries like this) I open the web app - which seems fine to me.  "Unresponsive" means the browser is having issues,  but I use Thorium (the browser,  not the nuclear stuff) which is a chrome clone and I've seen nothing like that.  Edge by the way is also Chrome,  but I find it annoyingly intrusive.