• Level 5*

Hi.  Known issue,  lots of reports here,  and (AFAIK) no fixes.  MacOS has changed and a plugin the Evernote requires is no longer available.  Legacy Evernote is no longer supported and will not change.  Have you tried v10?

Thank you so much for replying and for explaining this. Fortunately I have Evernote on an iPad so I don't immediately have to contemplate changing to v10

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, Rick_H said:

(1) Can Evernote confirm that the problem is resolved by v10?

(2) What is cost/ benefit of v10?

1) Evernote can't - or more precisely won't - respond to comments in this public forum.  Evernote has a free version,  so you could try it for yourself.

2) If you're using the free version?...

• Level 5
23 hours ago, Rick_H said:

This situation is very unsatisfactory. 

(1) Can Evernote confirm that the problem is resolved by v10?

(2) What is cost/ benefit of v10?

1) LOL - The problem IS created by an OS update, removing a plugin use by a software that is deprecated since 30 months now. This will not be fixed in legacy, deprecated means it is a zombie, where nothing will be fixed any more, ever.

Nobody needs to confirm anything regarding v10 - v10 is not deprecated, and it works.

2) There is no (extra) cost for v10 - you can use it on the same plan you have currently been on. You can even install it side by side. This is not encouraged by EN, but it is (still) possible. Not recommended for Free users, since each of the 2 installs will count as 1 device, consuming the allowed 2 devices on the same physical computer.

I don't understand, is the problem between MacOS Vetura 13.3.1 and EN V7.14, where the error "Missing plugin" shows when trying to open a note, created by the new Mac operating system or by a now outdated EN version?

Will EN V10 work with Mac Ventura 13.3.1 to access notes?

Will all the notes collected on EN version 7.14 be transferable to EN version 10?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, miciolini said:

is the problem between MacOS Vetura 13.3.1 and EN V7.14,

The problem is entirely with MacOS Ventura,  which nno longer includes a plugin necessary for any third party app,  including Evernote,  to display PDF files properly.  And yes,  your existing notes should work perfectly in v10.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, miciolini said:

Will all the notes collected on EN version 7.14 be transferable to EN version 10?

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

And yes,  your existing notes should work perfectly in v10.

Yes, but with a huge caveat... Notes saved in EN version 7.14 that are in a local notebook are not transferable to EN version 10. (I think you'll have to export them and reimport them into a "regular"/online notebook.)

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

I think you'll have to export them and reimport them

Nope - you get a warning that the notes will be synced to the server,  and an option to avoid that if you wish.  (At least that's how it worked for me a year or so ago).

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Nope - you get a warning that the notes will be synced to the server,  and an option to avoid that if you wish.  (At least that's how it worked for me a year or so ago).

From https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107

image.png.a448f3397ae0c37059860f349b47f30d.png

image.png.9ca95fb64e0a6e4d90ef5ea8e1082418.png

Perhaps that's an automated -- "we'll help you do it" option, but it looks like it's an export/import to me -- if that documentation is still current.

• Level 5

No matter what may be in the sync program:

Local notebooks are no feature of any v10 client - there is no way to continue using them as local entities.

So there is a decision to be taken: Either move them out of legacy, and this means in a format that can be read without using an EN client at all. This means HTML or pdf. Or decide to move them into the cloud database with v10 - then it means exporting every local notebook to an ENEX file - one ENEX per local notebook.

After the content of the local notebook is conserved, the upgrade to v10 can take place. If you want to keep the former local notebooks away from the server, watch out if there is an automatic conversion to server copy offered. If so, decline it. If you want to take the content onto the server, allow it to take over. If there was nothing taken over while upgrading, do the conversion of the account, then open v10 on desktop, and then open the ENEX files, which will make the content import to the cloud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 11:23 AM, gazumped said:

The problem is entirely with MacOS Ventura,  which nno longer includes a plugin necessary for any third party app,  including Evernote,  to display PDF files properly.  And yes,  your existing notes should work perfectly in v10.

Dont want to argue, however I have 7.1.14 running fine on Ventura and MBP 2018. My MBP 2022 m1, however is also on Ventura and I'm having the plugin issue.

For multiple reasons, I simply cannot move to v10 and lose local notebooks. Soooo. yeah not sure why my old MBP works and new one doesnt.

• Level 5

Whatever you may have installed on the 2018 machine can be a source of the missing code. Maybe a windows install, like bootcamp or a virtual machine ? Or any other Intel-specific app ? Without backtracking the routine call that leads to the error it will probably be hard to find our.

Most users who report problems here are on Ventura, independently from their individual Mac and setup.

No vm's or anything like that. Both Macbook Pro's running macos Ventura.. but you might be onto something with intel vs apple silicon?

Also the new M1 machine was a fresh install, so who knows what PDF libs I had installed previously. I used brew an imagemagik and bunch of pdf tools in the past on the 2018 machine.

It would be amazing if anyone figured out what exactly is needed and we could recreate that.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 5:41 AM, PinkElephant said:

You are sure you are on all Macs running Ventura 13.3 or up ? Because the plug-in was removed with 13.3, not with the major release of MacOS 13.

Nice catch. Yes the old Intel MBP is running Ventura 13.1 and the new M1 is running 13.4. Dang. Which I knew what the plugin was so we could try reinstall it.

• Level 5

There has been a thread, some time back with a possible plugin.

Since Apple removed it entirely, I am not sure if a replacement will survive future OS updates.

However, I find this issue  only theoretically interesting - I have uninstalled legacy a while ago, as being simply useless. So maybe, if you get lucky you can post your find here.

• Like 1