Create links to tags in a note (like shortcuts, but placed in the note body)

lmackinnon

Idea

Say I have a tag, e.g. "Startup". Some notes, say 23 of them, are tagged with the tag "Startup".

I can create a shortcut to that tag, and if I click on the shortcut it brings up all 23 of the notes tagged "Startup". It does that by filtering all notes in the notebook by the tag "Startup".

I want the same thing inside a note. I want to click on a "tag" link in a note, and then it brings up all the tagged notes.

Here is how I would picture it working:

I'd go to a tag in the list of tags (or a shortcut of a tag), right-click or CTRL-click and select something like "Create link", and that would give me a link to the tag. 

Then when I paste the link to a tag (like "Startup") in the body of a note, if I click on the tag link it then it opens up the results in the main note window, with results filtered to only show notes with that tag (in this case, notes tagged "Startup"). 

The tag link would look like a link - Anchor text with a different colour and hover-over features. If you want, it could be a different colour to other links, to differentiate tags vs other links.

That would be very useful to me. 

• Like 3

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

This has been requested multiple times already. You can search the forum for Outline or Collapsible sections, which includes in-note tagging.

You can look these threads up and add your vote there.

@PinkElephant, that sounds different. I'm not asking for outline or collapsible sections - just a link to the tag results from search. 

But if people have been asking for it already that's great. It would be good if Evernote implement it very soon then.

And there's no harm in voting for it again here :)

• Level 5

To place a tag, a note needs to get an internal structure. And that’s what an outliner does.

You can create these jump markers already, by inserting keywords into the Text. Search will find and highlight them.

But of course, real tags would be better.

2 hours ago, lmackinnon said:

Say I have a tag, e.g. "Startup". Some notes, say 23 of them, are tagged with the tag "Startup".

I can create a shortcut to that tag, and if I click on the shortcut it brings up all 23 of the notes tagged "Startup". It does that by filtering all notes in the notebook by the tag "Startup".

I want the same thing inside a note. I want to click on a "tag" link in a note, and then it brings up all the tagged notes.

Here is how I would picture it working:

I'd go to a tag in the list of tags (or a shortcut of a tag), right-click or CTRL-click and select something like "Create link", and that would give me a link to the tag. 

Then when I paste the link to a tag (like "Startup") in the body of a note, if I click on the tag link it then it opens up the results in the main note window, with results filtered to only show notes with that tag (in this case, notes tagged "Startup"). 

The tag link would look like a link - Anchor text with a different colour and hover-over features. If you want, it could be a different colour to other links, to differentiate tags vs other links.

That would be very useful to me. 

Are you familiar with the ability to filter by tag when clicking on one at the bottom of a note? (See screenshot below.) If your proposal is different, could you explain more because I'm struggling to understand the difference.

image.thumb.png.6abb32779f18ad1e4a451fc9605f1ecb.png

• Like 3

@PinkElephant, I use tags a lot. I can easily add tags to the shortcuts. Either through a context menu or by dragging them over. There is no particular challenge around getting an "internal structure" to do it. It's just standard functionality. 

Similarly to create a link, there's no challenge that I can see with "internal structure." Just right-click / ctrl-click on a tag (or shortcut of a tag) to get an option to grab a "tag link" or "link to tag" and then have that in the clipboard ready to paste it into a note.

@Paul A., thanks, that filtering function is very useful - I wasn't aware of it. Much appreciated.

The difference between that tag | filter by tag function and the link I was requesting is, (surprisingly!), the link. I want a link that I can place in the body of the note that has the exact same effect as clicking on tag | filter by tag

For example, I might have an overview note that has some introductory text and then copy like 

"Tag link 1 - all notes on startup

Tag link 2 - all notes on strategy

Tag link 3 - my ideas for articles to write

Tag link 4 - my ideas for books to write"

Where "Tag link 1" would have anchor text of the tag name (e.g. "Startup") that is linkified and clickable.

This would give me a navigable index to tags the way I want to construct it. 

Another use case is I might have a note on Y-Combinator's approach to startup, and want to link to all other notes on Startup via a "tag link." Or I might be writing about an agile iterative testing process, and want to link to notes on Startup as related content - and a tag link would be useful for that.

@lmackinnon - I get you. I've wanted to be able to do that as well. Similarly, it would also be great to be able to have a saved search as some kind of clickable link that you could embed in a note. (See here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/145430-adding-a-link-to-a-saved-search-into-a-note/)

One more quick way to access a list of tagged notes, in case you didn't already know, is with the 'Switch To' command which can be accessed with Cmd-J. You can press Cmd-J, type the first few letters of your tag and then down arrow and enter. Not as handy as the link you are talking for specific use cases, but thought I'd mention it.

image.png.b1230f6082e6cda699a1ad6ed6f19716.png

• Like 5

If I get your question correctly you might want to look into Filterize. Not sure on their current status as they were close to stop 1-2 years ago.

Filterize offers automation for Evernote. I have used it for some time (but stopped because I did it need that much automation at the time) and i know it allows you to create customized table of content notes which can be shown in an existing note. The note is based on a custom query or a search query which could be the query of te tags you need it to link to. When entering then “keyword” inside the nodes you need the link in, Filterize can scan that note every time evernote syncs and then update if the results from the query change (e.g. if more notes get the tag you want to refer to).

might not be the most optimal option but i guess it might work. Check out Filterize here https://filterize.net/

Not free of charge though. 
good luck