The new version of the Windows Evernote client is a nightmare.

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

The new version of the Windows Evernote client is a nightmare.

1. I use the light theme, but there's a black bar on the left. Where's the logic in that?
2. I can't specify the location for the database like I could in the Legacy client.
3. The program can't remember the column width. I see my notes and make the column with the note names wider. After restarting my PC, the column width is back to its previous size. In 2023 :(
4. I can't opt out of a note that has been shared with me; I have to ask the person who shared it to revoke the permission. That's not normal.
5. I can't quickly find all the notes that I've shared.

I hope you don't stop supporting the Legacy client.

• Like 3
  • Solution
On 4/9/2023 at 9:11 AM, tolik8_22 said:

Shared notebooks are obvious because there is a "Shared With" column on the notebooks screen.

To find other notes that have been shared just search for 

sharedate:*

Each shared note also has a green icon in the note list.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/9/2023 at 9:11 AM, tolik8_22 said:

The Legacy client is no longer supported by Evernote.  You'll get some continuing support here,  but ongoing updates to browsers and operating systems will gradually exclude Legacy from working and will not be corrected by Evernote.

To take your points in order...

1. I use the light theme, but there's a black bar on the left. Where's the logic in that?

The left panel can be shrunk on some clients if you hate it so much...

2. I can't specify the location for the database like I could in the Legacy client.

Look into "symbolic links" to fool Evernote into believing you're using the correct location,  but keep frequent backups!

3. The program can't remember the column width. I see my notes and make the column with the note names wider. After restarting my PC, the column width is back to its previous size.

Obvious fix - use a word processor and attach the file (+PDF for visibility) to your note

4. I can't opt out of a note that has been shared with me; I have to ask the person who shared it to revoke the permission. That's not normal.

I agree it was possible to do so - is there no option to unsubscribe?

Already answered - but also:  keep a separate notebook for shared notes so you don't accidentally change or delete them;  or share notebooks instead.

• Like 2
On 4/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, tolik8_22 said:

3. The program can't remember the column width. I see my notes and make the column with the note names wider. After restarting my PC, the column width is back to its previous size. In 2023 :(.

The note list width will be persisted by exiting evernote via the file menu -> "close evernote" before restarting your PC

• Level 5
On 4/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, tolik8_22 said:

The legacy client is deprecated, unsupported. That it still lives is due to the fact that Microsoft keeps old code alive beyond any logic. The EN legacy client is still based on 32bit code - that tells it all.

On the Mac where Apple is more aggressive in enforcing modern code the demise of EN legacy (although it is 64Bit Code already) has started with MacOS Ventura. 2 major deficiencies reduce the usability a lot.

The big question is whether the announced new syncing will stop synchronization for the old database on which legacy is running. Currently we have no insight if this will happen.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, tolik8_22 said:

I tried now, my program does not save the width

On my windows client, the note list width is properly persisted when leaving evernote via the menu: file->close evernote ...

Are we talking about the same width?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, eric99 said:

On my windows client, the note list width is properly persisted when leaving evernote via the menu: file->close evernote ...

Are we talking about the same width?

I agree. You can also quit Evernote by right clicking the System tray elephant icon. If you close down or restart Windows while the system tray icon is still present the settings are not preserved.

The following sequence of keys is handy

{alt} (by itself - not in combination with another key)
{Enter} or {Down arrow}
Q

• Like 1
On 4/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, PinkElephant said:

Microsoft keeps old code alive beyond any logic.

which is of course one of the main reasons for it's 40 years dominance over mac os and the 600+ linux distros  😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today I noticed another annoying feature: after restarting my PC, the Evernote client launches in full screen mode.
I have 16 programs in my SysTray, and after the operating system starts, they automatically minimize to the SysTray, except for Evernote.

1 hour ago, tolik8_22 said:

Today I noticed another annoying feature: after restarting my PC, the Evernote client launches in full screen mode.
I have 16 programs in my SysTray, and after the operating system starts, they automatically minimize to the SysTray, except for Evernote.

As EN is my central Dashboard showing Calander, Task etc, I like the fact that it starts in full-screen mode.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN will remember your last setting. If you closed it in full screen, it will open in full screen.

Try to resize it to your liking - then close (quit) the app, and reopen it. Only closing with the X on the window should not have this effect.

To toggle full screen on and off it is F11, if I remember it correctly.

I do not want to see Evernote after every PC startup, neither in fullscreen nor in windowed mode. This is not normal. I want to have the option to change this in the settings.

All programs that are located in the SysTray should start in silent mode, i.e., minimized, as this is a common practice.

I see only one solution, which is to remove Evernote from startup and launch the program only when I need it.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, tolik8_22 said:

I see only one solution, which is to remove Evernote from startup and launch the program only when I need it.

The other alternative is to use Windows own startup system. That allows you to open the program minimised. Steps are:

• Win+R to open the the run command
  • Type shell:startup - this opens the startup folder
  • Find the  EN executable, create a shortcut to it and drop the shortcut in the startup folder
  • Right click the shortcut, choose properties and change from "Normal window" to "Minimised"

Hope that works.

• Level 5

Maybe the problem here is the design of v10: It runs inside of a framework, which is based on the Chrome(ium) browser.

The framework is shielding the app from the OS level. Scripting does not work.

Starting automatically and making use of the Home dashboard, or starting manually seem to be the best current options.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, tolik8_22 said:

don't work

That's a shame. Personally I would probably put something in my Autohotkey script that runs at startup. I'm sure that would work even if it started maximised and then had to be minimised in the script.

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe the problem here is the design of v10: It runs inside of a framework, which is based on the Chrome(ium) browser.

The framework is shielding the app from the OS level. Scripting does not work.

Starting automatically and making use of the Home dashboard, or starting manually seem to be the best current options.

It explains a lot of things.

• Level 5

Sure it does. There are other apps based on the same framework. It is an ongoing discussion whether it is better to run on a framework, or code an app natively. EN always had native apps - and it ended with Windows 6.25 on 32bit, Mac 7.14 on 64bit, and so on. Code written for one app couldn’t be used on the other. In the end EN had to support 5 different apps, plus the web clipper. On this they failed.

Since we have the framework approach, we got regular releases, plus a bunch of new features. For all OS interaction the framework takes over. This is a blessing, because when the OS is updated, the framework supplier is updating his side, making it possible for the EN devs to stay focused on their core functionality. But it is a curse as well, because some seemingly simple things like „start minimized“ are hard to implement.

• Like 2