Evernote high CPU usage since update 10.52.8 on Win 10

Go to solution Solved by Hey_Its_Jaye,

I noticed a higher than usual CPU usage on my Desktop PC while Evernote was just idle in the background. Normally there is no noticeable CPU usage from Evernote but it was at 20% CPU usage just sitting in the background.

I went to check on my laptop if there is the same background usage and there was only 1% usage, BUT I haven't used Evernote in the last few days on my laptop and therefore it wasn't on the latest version. So I updated to 10.52.8 on my laptop and the background usage did also went up to 20% !

There has to be some bug in the latest version that increases background CPU usage.

cpu usage.png

• Like 2

I tried the suggested fix from the other thread but it didn't helped, it is still at 15-20% CPU usage.

Then I looked for an earlier version online and found 10.50.10 on uptodown. I installed it and the CPU usage is back to 1%!

Unfortunately Evernote updated itself to the newest version after a restart and I am back to high CPU usage.

I talked to the staff and they are aware of this issue and working on it. Guess I'll have to use the Web-Version until we get a fix.

10.52.8.png

10.50.10.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Out of curiosity, does this high CPU usage affect your computer's performance, or is it just something that seems out of whack and therefore to be avoided?

On my Desktop PC in most cases not, but sometimes I use CPU heavy applications and it is frustrating when Evernote idling takes away 20% of my performance.

On my Laptop it's quite annoying, I have noticed the fans are running way more often. It also increases the power usage and drains my battery faster.

• Like 4

I am having the same problem. A short-term fix for me was to unplug the laptop - CPU use of EN goes down to about 10-11%. With the laptop plugged in, around 30-40% of CPU are used, and the fan constantly on top speed - quite annoying. This behaviour as well as what Philip Nos is reporting seems to indicate that corrupted databases (as claimed by Pink Elephant) aren't the root cause. 

Waiting for the update... 

Windows 10

EN 10.52.8.3911

Quoting PinkElephant in the Mac Forum:

You can try this without uninstalling:

In app settings, uncheck the "Keep data when leaving" checkbox. Log out, quit the app.

Restart the PC. Open the app again, log in.

This should have a similar effect, although some settings remain on the PC. I am not sure this will work the same, but it is no effort to try.

I can confirm that this solution works. (Windows 11)

CPU-usage to normal levels after doing this.

No need to install a previous version.

• Thanks 1

Somewhat comforting to know I am not alone! After the last Evernote update, I am having the same issue of high CPU usage while Evernote App is idle/active on my MacBook Pro:

macOS Monterey
Version 12.6.2

Evernote Details
10.52.8-mac-ddl-public (3911)
Editor: v164.0.20364
Service: v1.64.1

It is killing my battery and performance. I have to shut it down between uses. Hopefully there is a fix soon. 

I have the same issue with 10.52.8 on two PCs. CPU usage was normal prior to the most recent update. I've uninstalled and deleted all local stored data, restarted PC, reinstalled Evernote and the problem still exists. Anyone know a fix?

• Thanks 1

@Pink, a brand new Revo couldn't even find Evernote, presumably because I installed it on a non-admin login, the aware way to run Windows, no?

- Revo found the _old_ Evernote I was keeping around, so I let it remove that and reg keys. Didn't help.

- uninstalled Evernote the MS way, downloaded complete installer, reinstalled. Now EN is running at 5+%, instead of a full core+ at 25%+, as it did overnight. This is still not good at all...I have a very clean and powerful development machine, and murk like this doesn't belong, ever.

This is better, but unexplained, and I haven't rebooted yet. I have no idea what you intend by saying it's 'corrupt database'.. I've seen no evidence of that, and any sensible software post 1998 cleans up anything it finds about itself that way, no?

Helpful commenting would be to let us know concrete progress, thank you.

(above still in moderation, but Evernote is back to it's full core taken over on an i7, 25% plus, and yes, my friend, it does make a very powerful laptop sluggish, due to some kind of resource swapping no doubt, thunking Windows etc.. No comment on the idea that even if it was less intrusive it would be ok...)

I am experiencing the same issue with Evernote 10.52.8 on Windows 11 Home (Version 22H2, OS Build 22621.1194). It is using about 10% of CPU and 1GB of memory on a laptop with a 12700H and 64GB). Sometimes it will jump up to 20% whilst idling. Putting it into Efficiency Mode in Task Manager doesn't do anything. Only fully quitting stops the unnecessary CPU load but it will immediatley load the CPU again when re-launched.

@PinkElephant, I noted some further points about this

- I tried the 'turn off 'Keep Data when Leaving' (it's actually Keep a copy of  my notes  on this device at sign-out), logging out, and restarting the laptop.. I also told it to remove the notes on the machine for that choice, to elimnate the possiblity of there being 'corruption' of the database.

- Result: Evernote kindly just turned that setting back on, against my wishes, and thus started up the use-a-full-core loading. But I emphasize - there should have been no database to be corrupted at that point. 

- But is the bad bug in today's Evernote due to anything about the data? 

- In answer to this, I found that not only is EN running the machine hard constantly, it's making a big receive from the internet every 8-10 seconds...continuously. I don't know what this could be, considering non-nefarious, besides pulling my data from your servers, a bit at a time. It's gone ono for many hours, shows no sign of abating.

- if I quite Evernote, the internet data pulls also stop.

I sincerely hope these clues may help understanding, as well as getting a fix soon...

On 1/27/2023 at 5:57 AM, TheKnighWhoSaysNI said:

Quoting PinkElephant in the Mac Forum:

You can try this without uninstalling:

In app settings, uncheck the "Keep data when leaving" checkbox. Log out, quit the app.

Restart the PC. Open the app again, log in.

This should have a similar effect, although some settings remain on the PC. I am not sure this will work the same, but it is no effort to try.

I can confirm that this solution works. (Windows 11)

CPU-usage to normal levels after doing this.

No need to install a previous version.

I tried this on Windows 11 as well but in my case it did not fix the issue.

I unchecked the "Keep data when leaving" checkbox, logged-out, exited the app and rebooted.

Then after the reboot, I opened the app and logged-in again and it is back to where it was at a continuous 10-12% CPU usage (It looks like a single thread running at 100%).

Any other idea to fix this issue?

Same problem... laptop fans constantly buzzing, CPU ranging between 15-25% whether I'm using Evernote or not. I'm on the latest version for Windows desktop.

I tried the unchecking the "Keep data when leaving" checkbox solution that PinkElephant recommended, and it didn't change anything. I tried signing out and restarting a few times.

I'm sure this is a known issue at this point. Hoping for a fix soon (or a way to rollback).

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-01-30 110034.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If the checkbox doesn’t work: Get Revo Uninstaller (Free on the web). Use it to purge the complete install, app, settings, data, everything.

Restart the PC. Download a fresh copy of the app from the EN website, install, log in.

Done ?

Hi there!

I just assembled a new PC today, with a fresh install of Windows 11 (22H2) and Evernote 10.52.8-win-ddl-public (3911) / Editor: v164.0.20364 / Service: v1.64.1. Here is my experience:

• When open and focused but idle, Evernote uses around 12%~15% of CPU, enough increase CPU cooler speed and change the fan from inaudible to noticeable.
  • When minimized or "closed" (after a while), Evernote uses around 7%~8% CPU (which is obviously still too much).
  • Only when I quit Evernote (from the system tray) my total CPU usage drops to 0%.

Definitely not an issue on my side, and certainly and issue with this version of Evernote.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Installed today = It probably still downloads your database for offline use, and needs to build it on your drive.

Just check the network traffic.

Very good observation - but there is almost no traffic at all (or no change in traffic) after opening Evernote.

Can we backtrack for a second here... why is this happening to begin with? Why now all of a sudden?

I appreciate the suggestions for a temporary workaround, but am I safe in assuming this is a recognized bug that we can expect to be resolved in an upcoming build?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 minute ago, bgolden126 said:

Can we backtrack for a second here... why is this happening to begin with? Why now all of a sudden?

I appreciate the suggestions for a temporary workaround, but am I safe in assuming this is a recognized bug that we can expect to be resolved in an upcoming build?

Good questions...

Have you reported the issue via a support ticket? That is likely to be the only way that the devs are definitely aware. The more individuals that report it the more likely a speedy fix will be identified.

FWIW I haven't reported because I'm not affected - so far...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Hi there!

I just assembled a new PC today, with a fresh install of Windows 11 (22H2) and Evernote 10.52.8-win-ddl-public (3911) / Editor: v164.0.20364 / Service: v1.64.1. Here is my experience:

• When open and focused but idle, Evernote uses around 12%~15% of CPU, enough increase CPU cooler speed and change the fan from inaudible to noticeable.
  • When minimized or "closed" (after a while), Evernote uses around 7%~8% CPU (which is obviously still too much).
  • Only when I quit Evernote (from the system tray) my total CPU usage drops to 0%.

Definitely not an issue on my side, and certainly and issue with this version of Evernote.

Agree with everything Ricardo said, except my CPU loads are even higher and fan usage is quite loud (due to Dell desktop heating up), which is almost *never* an issue when using other software on my PC.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

Have you reported the issue via a support ticket? That is likely to be the only way that the devs are definitely aware. The more individuals that report it the more likely a speedy fix will be identified.

This. There are a number of people reporting this and saying it's a new development with v. 10.52.8. Others of us are not experiencing it. Hence the people who are experiencing would help themselves and others by reporting it directly to Evernote support. We're only other users here.

• Like 1

Evernote doesn't allow posting tickets if you are on the free plan.

Here's what I know now -- perhaps one of you who is tired of seeing these posts from we many could put the facts into support??

- powerful Win10  i7 laptop, very well maintained as I do development

- one full core taken up by latest Evernote, constantly and I do mean constantly, as you'll see

- the throwaway to just deinstall with Revo (then reinstall) doesn't work at all - Evernote is in AppData, and Revo won't do anything with it except find a few harmless reg entries. Neither does the uncheck-keep-local-database -- this just autoresets itself next time you launch Evernote.

- So I did two things: completely deleted the Evernote data folder, and did a clean reinstall of Evernote. Then I let it run -- over a weekend. Result is that it spent the time, always at high cpu, pulsing the web to retrieve my 3GB database. When it finally finished that, no  more internet, but the same infernal high load process, forever.

- So, I left the reconstituted database alone, uninstalled 10.58.2, and installed a 10.36.4 I'd kept around. 

Problem then solved.

Evernote ran at circa 5% for a while, and then went to below 1%, as it should be -- and only  when the app is open.

There is _no_ activity now, when the app is closed.

Latest 10.58.2 is clearly having a problem, and it doesn't matter that some may not see it.

Please fix., thank you.

• Like 2

Ok, I broke down and paid for a year in the last hours of another discounted rate, in some vote of hope that Evernote pulls through better under new ownership.

Thus I posted the above on a support ticket, adjusted appropriately. We'll see when they respond, hopefully with a clean fix to release soon. If I could back up a few minor versions and remove the problem, it should be pretty clear what has happened, to their responsible devs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If the checkbox doesn’t work: Get Revo Uninstaller (Free on the web). Use it to purge the complete install, app, settings, data, everything.

Restart the PC. Download a fresh copy of the app from the EN website, install, log in.

Done ?

Dear all, 

as an alternative: you can downgrade to EN 10.50.10 (available through uptodown: Download Evernote 10.50.10 for Windows | Uptodown.com), and the problem disappeared - at least on my machine (Win 10 22H2, 8GB RAM, EN 10.52.8.3911 before down-versioning). 

In addition, I opened a support ticket and received the following reply (within 12 hours - nice): 'Upon checking my resources, this issue is a known one and our engineering team is currently working to get this addressed as soon as possible. As a workaround, you may continue using the version 10.50.10, use the Evernote Web on a computer browser, or download and install the old Evernote app for Windows called Evernote Legacy.'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Solution

Thanks @Dave-in-Decatur for the alert! Mine is back to normal without doing any updates or reinstalls. I guess the gremlin running around has been chased away. I wonder if it was something the app was trying to connect to in the cloud. Wish I would have tested that theory before. Oh well, everything is fine now. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like 2

Thanks @Dave-in-Decatur

Without having updated anything or changed any settings Evernote is now 0.5% to 2% load when first started and 0% when idle. Guessing whatever it was doing in the background is now finished.

It would be good to get a warning from the team if an update is going to require Evernote to do some prolonged background work. I could have planned around it or just let it do it's thing instead of trying to figure what the hell is going on.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Shoot.  I have 10.56.8 and for the last couple days EN has been using 80% CPU, even when it is in the background.  Then, as I was reading this thread, it suddenly dropped down to 0.2 - 3%.  Now when I am using EN, it runs at anywhere from 5-80% CPU usage, usually 25%+ when editing notes.