Tag shortcut adds special character þ

Go to solution Solved by Rense,

Just a small thing but annoying nevertheless: whenever I add a tag using CTRL+ALT+t keyboard shortcut, EN adds a "þ"to the note (and opens the tagging dialog). I'm on Windows 10, using  an ENG/INTL keyboard layout.

• Evernote Expert

TRy switching keyboard in Windows settings. Maybe use the ENG/UK or ENG/USA setting on your PC. The best option will depend upon your keyboard layout. If you have the International keyboard selected then you probably have a keyboard layout that will be better suited by the USA settings. See if either of those fixes the issue for you. If so that will confirm the keyboard drivers being the issue.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Tried on Win11 / EN 10.49.4 (10.50 has been released) and didn't get anything but the tag I chose.  What Evernote version are you using/

10.50.10-win-ddl-public (3842)
Editor: v162.3.20111
Service: v1.62.2

5 minutes ago, agsteele said:

TRy switching keyboard in Windows settings. Maybe use the ENG/UK or ENG/USA setting on your PC. The best option will depend upon your keyboard layout. If you have the International keyboard selected then you probably have a keyboard layout that will be better suited by the USA settings. See if either of those fixes the issue for you. If so that will confirm the keyboard drivers being the issue.

Indeed it does not happen with ENG/USA, but given that I regularly write in Dutch, I need the INT layout. I don't actually remember this happening on older EN versions (before v10). Also, CTRL-ALT-t does not produce "þ" in other applications: in MS Office apps it produces "™"; in Sublime Text it does nothing. Both, to me, suggest that there should be a solution on the EN side...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Open keyboard shortcuts. Select the shortcut in question. Hover the mouse over it: To the right (!) of the shortcut name 3 dots appear. Click on them.

If Edit shows, you can change the shortcut combination to any other - take care not to create the next fuzz.

• Solution

Just to confirm that indeed this does not happen in the legacy version, so apparently it's not a "Windows issue" that could not be solved in EN. In that sense, I consider it a bug.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Open keyboard shortcuts. Select the shortcut in question. Hover the mouse over it: To the right (!) of the shortcut name 3 dots appear. Click on them.

If Edit shows, you can change the shortcut combination to any other - take care not to create the next fuzz.

Thanks for suggesting the workaround, although indeed it can be quite a challenge to find an alternative shortcut combination that is both usable and does not create other issues. But looking at these setting also pointed me to the fact that there is also another shortcut for adding tags: F3 (CTRL-ALT-T is actually for "editing"). In many cases, that'll be sufficient I guess.

• Level 5

I doubt this is correctly described with the word „bug“, combined with fingerpointing.

The possibilities of keyboard shortcuts interfering are infinite, because it not only depends on 2 programs. It depends on all installed programs, there may be any other with a colliding shortcut, even if you don’t use or know about it. Plus it depends as well on the sequence in which the programs were installed.

That you are pretty alone with the problem points at such a root cause.

• Like 1