Is it me, or are the annotation and drawing tools pretty bad on Android? It crashes, the zoom-in feature is out-of-control. Trying to take notes on it is just a bad experience. So bad that I use Samsung Notes to write, than import the "image" in Evernote.

Do you use it?

• Level 5

Can just say about iOS:

The annotation tools are still from the old Skitch app (which for iOS is available as a stand alone app in the AppStore as well), and they are just clumsy, old looking tools. Can be helpful, but today we are used to something more elegant, not this pixel style vintage 1990s.

And then (since Pencil is iPad only) there is the problem of the broken zoom in annotation mode. Zoom works when viewing, but when entering annotation mode, zooming in is not possible any more. This is broken since the launch of v10 for iOS, and 2 years and many support tickets later, it is still broken.

So there is annotation mode, but except for the most brutisch of annotations it is pretty useless.

An nice alternative would be using Sketch (nicer tools, unlimited canvas, seamless zooming), but it only works on a blank canvas, it does not allow to import a picture or pdf as background.

31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Can just say about iOS:

The annotation tools are still from the old Skitch app (which for iOS is available as a stand alone app in the AppStore as well), and they are just clumsy, old looking tools. Can be helpful, but today we are used to something more elegant, not this pixel style vintage 1990s.

And then (since Pencil is iPad only) there is the problem of the broken zoom in annotation mode. Zoom works when viewing, but when entering annotation mode, zooming in is not possible any more. This is broken since the launch of v10 for iOS, and 2 years and many support tickets later, it is still broken.

So there is annotation mode, but except for the most brutisch of annotations it is pretty useless.

An nice alternative would be using Sketch (nicer tools, unlimited canvas, seamless zooming), but it only works on a blank canvas, it does not allow to import a picture or pdf as background.

So even on iOS...

Too bad, OneNote is not bad at all for this. And Samsung Notes is pretty great.

Sometimes, it looks better not to offer a function than to offer a very bad one.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:30 PM, fredhammersmith said:

OK. Somebody uses it? I mean, taking notes on the fly with a stylus is great, annotate maps and plans also.

Every once in a while I am trying it on mobile (Android for sure) and get some of the issues as you describe. Especially the zoom-in and -out is out of control since the beginning of EN10. While on smartphones it sometimes works on my tablet it is mainly unusable. On my devices the sketching features are also very lagging / not responsive. But this is an overall problem with the Android app, too.