How to add new line in Evernote app as well as Desktop

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Before I upgraded to the latest version 10.47.7-win-ddl-public (3730) on the desktop, I could add a new line by just hitting the Enter key. Now it will strike out the previous line. This is the  problem also in the app.

How can I add a new line in Evernote?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I assume you're not a Teams user* but if you are - please see your Admin; you may not have the permissions to change that note. 

If you're NOT a teams user we'll need details of your device & OS.  Please try logging out of the app and back in,  and powering your device off and on again to try to jumpstart it into working.  You may need to uninstall the app and reinstall from Evernote.com to get a 'clean' install.  I use the same version of Evernote on Windows 11 and don't have this issue.

* Evernote's Business Plan

• Evernote Expert

When you installed to make the clean reinstall did you ensure that ALL the old days and program files were removed. A standard Windows uninstall leaves lots of files which can be the cause of the sort of issue you describe. If you did not, uninstall using a program such as Revo Uninstaller or delete %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote before uninstalling/reinstalling. 

If you did that then my apologies for telling you what you already knew.

I have included a screen shot:
image.png.bfa8d8c29f1388ee3d65c70d2114e640.png

When I clicked enter after Line 4, both Line 3 and Line 4 get struck out. The new check box is also indented. I noticed that the check boxes with the struck out text are ticked differently. One is with crosses and the other is with ticks.

Shift-enter is okay but I have to insert the new check box. The is shown below:

image.png.90652424137d75f9e02b96e74ce257f1.png

I accesses Evernote on different devices - Windows desktops and mobile devices. Please advise how I can continue to do so.

I have used Evernote for a long time and used different versions. So I reckon this should not be an afterthought.

• Evernote Expert

Assuming you have a paid subscription, you should be able to access your notes on as many devices as you wish. If you have a Free account then you are limited to two devices and there is no way around this limitation.

For your problem, in general, I think your issue merits a support ticket.

Seems like the issue is a little more complicated than I thought. In the upgraded desktop version, I still see insert checkbox. Do you mean that checkbox here actually means checklist?

image.png.49bfd1d4ce6d2430d5deaab981b9fddc.png

In the meantime, I will use shift-Enter.

In Version 10 of Evernote checkboxes and checklists are two different things. (Prior to Version 10, there were only checkboxes.)

Checkboxes

Checkboxes have a green border. When you check them, they turn green with a white 'x'.:

image.png.96f7c20e988eae6a7cb20f808abeac6e.png

You add them from the "Insert" menu like you showed in your screenshot above. You can also copy and paste them. There are no keyboard shortcuts to add them that I know of (apart from copy and paste). You can also highlight multiple lines and add a checkbox to the start of each line by selecting to insert a checkbox with multiple lines selected.

You can also add a checkbox anywhere in the line of text:

image.png.836e423f7be4bd64027978063f77817b.png

Checklists

Checklists have a gray border around it's "checkable" box. When you check them, they turn into a green check and cause a strikeout of the entire line:

image.png.f0039a85dafcede0ef70ae0e441ae030.png

You add them from the formatting bar or can press Cmd-Shift-C (on Mac, Ctrl-Shift-C for Windows -- I believe) when on a line and it will add a checklist to the start of the line. You can also highlight multiple lines and press Cmd-Shfti-C to turn each line into a checkable list item.

There is a setting for that strikethrough that is customizable so that it doesn't strikeout the text:

image.png.2055f469d24d5ff16e6300b80daef5e1.png

Checklists can only have one checkable box at the start of each line. But you can also add checkboxes anywhere in a checklist too, like this:

image.png.c7dd266076466056c3ee1695111e01a1.png

On Desktop and Web only, you can drag and drop checklist items to re-order them or move them anywhere in the note.

Checkbox Issues

As you have discovered, pressing 'Enter' at the end of a line with a checkbox at the beginning will turn the checkbox to a checklist. Kind of weird behavior. If you search these forums you will find a few workarounds and other tips.