Need the ability to set the default font size

Mark B.

Idea

The current default is too small for mobile devices and when working on larger screens managing multiple windows.  I am constantly having to modify my font size for readability.  When I do change the font size in a given note, every time I insert a new line Evernote reverts back to the font size default.  As a result, I am constantly having to change font size on both new and existing notes.

• Like 4

18 replies to this idea

It's a problem for many of us, myself included, and  has been raised here a few times in the recent past.

At present the work around is to create a blank note, set to the desired font then save it as a template file. Instead of then creating a new file, you create a new from template. 

It's not pretty, and its not the functionality that you would desire, but its whats available at the moment I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

I agree with this feature request - being able to set a default font size (for mobile and desktop clients) would be great as I find the default text size (16?) to be too small for comfortable reading (especially on mobile). In particular, being able to set a default or minimum font size for web clips is probably my #1 feature request because modifying the font size for web clip notes is difficult as articles will typically have various font sizes in them.. so modifying the font size in web clip notes is not as simple as just selecting all and then selecting a larger font size.

FWIW, Instapaper makes it easy to set a default font size for saved web articles (in the "simplified article" format).

Thanks

I agree 100%. It's been years now since Evernote was updated and they have added a ton of fancy features (Tasks, etc.), but not worked on a simple thing as default font and font size. To not have this feature on a NOTE-TAKING APP is very poor, and a reason I'm considering moving to OneNote.

I can set more fonts on this comment on this forum than in my actual notes!

My workaround: I'm still using the app "Evernote Legacy App", which has the old (better) features, until they fix this.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Halsen said:

My workaround: I'm still using the app "Evernote Legacy App", which has the old (better) features, until they fix this.

I doubt that any changes to the font stuff is coming. The limited choices are designed so that notes display uniformly on all platforms. So no 'fix' is likely because it is by design. While you have Legacy that will be a good choice if this is important for you. You might get some success advocating for a setting to choose one of the pre-chosen fonts and font-sizes as the defalt starting place but the free choice of font seems, to me, be never coming.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, agsteele said:

I doubt that any changes to the font stuff is coming. The limited choices are designed so that notes display uniformly on all platforms. So no 'fix' is likely because it is by design. While you have Legacy that will be a good choice if this is important for you. You might get some success advocating for a setting to choose one of the pre-chosen fonts and font-sizes as the defalt starting place but the free choice of font seems, to me, be never coming.

@agsteeleThank you for your reply. That's disappointing, but good to know. I will keep pushing for it, as having the basic fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, Trebuchet etc sync and display uniformly on all devices should be a basic feature of any note-taking tool. I also don't understand why all new notes have font size 16 as default and this default can't be set to another size. Also this seems like a very basic setting to build. I'll stick to the Legacy app for now.

• Level 5

You should familiarise yourself with Font licensing. Arial, Times New Roman and Trebuchet are under Microsoft license for Windows systems and can't be used without such a license on the other platforms. They don't exist on a Mac, on iOS or Android. And a company like EN can't simply grab and install them, without running into a major lawsuit.

It is not basic to move fonts along, it is legally a minefield. That is the reason why EN decided to install fonts of their own, with a licence they have obtained.

Beside this, personally I wouldn't be pleased by having out of date, ugly fonts like Arial or Times New Roman force-installed on my Macs. But that a personal preference, of course.

• Like 1

If I make the note editor font bigger than 16pt mobile device for easier viewing, then it makes the font too big for me in Evernote on Desktop and Web.

I think that it'd be better to have a slider preference for the size the font displays on the mobile screen rather than setting a higher font size directly in the note.

• Level 5

On mobile there would be an easier solution: Apps can reflect the setting of the general text size slider in the OS settings (at least on iOS, but I think it works likewise in Android). Larger selection, larger text size in all apps. In EN iOS, it enlarges the text in the notes list (so it does react to the slider setting), but it doesn't in the notes view. The font inside of the note remains the same as before.

I think this would be easier to change, than install a preference - especially if the preference would mean a different preference setting for each device.

• Level 5

Just feel free, it’s your choice, and your choice alone.

If setting font size is your top priority, you picked the wrong tool anyhow. On the old version there was no general setting for it at all, covering all platforms. At least this we got by the „Standard Text“ style with the new clients. Maybe they are going to make it configurable - one day.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Colleen.M said:

I've been using Evernote for over 10 years.  It's frustrating to not be able to change the default font in the latest Windows version.  I think it's time to migrate to OneNote.

Be aware that Microsoft have withdrawn the OneNote importer so the options for getting your notes out of Evernote and into OneNote have greatly reduced. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is the standard since 2020. I really love all the folks that sticked with unsupported software now for more than 3 years, switch over now and start the same endless discussions we already had. That’s my opinion as another user here. And no, we are not happy that the default text style can’t be modified.

If you have a problem, contact support.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:29 PM, Powerfab said:

It's a problem for many of us, myself included, and  has been raised here a few times in the recent past.

At present the work around is to create a blank note, set to the desired font then save it as a template file. Instead of then creating a new file, you create a new from template. 

It's not pretty, and its not the functionality that you would desire, but its whats available at the moment I'm afraid. 

That's a good hack, even if, as you said, it's not pretty. Thx.