Keyboard shortcut for setting formatting to "normal text"

gmf55aol

Idea

7 replies to this idea

2 hours ago, gmf55aol said:

Need a shortcut for changing an item to apply normal text.

I agree. If you apply a header style to some text and then want it back as normal text it is not easy to do without using the drop down.

As a work around you can

• select the text
  • copy to the clipboard.
  • Don't unselect the text
  • paste and match style (ctrl+shift+V on windows)
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I am reading this as needing to unformat existing text in a note. In which case, highlight the text and (in Windows) Ctrl+Shift+Space

Good point. It depends on what the OP actually meant. If he had a heading (large, medium or small)  and wanted to change it to "normal text" then your method doesn't work but if it's just random formatted text then obviously it does. Personally I would expect typing #### in front of a heading would convert it to normal text so that it is consistent with converting to headings.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2022 at 4:03 PM, agsteele said:

I am reading this as needing to unformat existing text in a note. In which case, highlight the text and (in Windows) Ctrl+Shift+Space

in Windows Evernote there are keyboard shortcuts for

Large Header  # [tab]

Medium Header ## [tab]

Small Header ### [tab]

This is achieved without highlighting any text. Using any of the above shortcuts at the start of a line, will format the line and its contents, into the header type you have just chosen

The equivalent shortcut should be made available for the "normal text" formatting.

In OneNote this is available i.e. Ctrl+Alt+1 formats as Heading 1, Ctrl+Alt+2 as Heading 2, etc etc, Ctrl+Shift+N returns to normal formatting

• Like 1

This was annoying me so I wrote an AutoHotKey script based on my workaround above. So now, if I type #### or 4# at the beginning of a line which is formatted as Large header, Medium header or Small header, it converts it to Normal text. So it works in the same way as the existing shortcuts for the three headers.

AHK v2 (Windows only)

#HotIf WinActive("ahk_exe Evernote.exe")
::####::
::4#::
{
	SetKeyDelay 30
	SendEvent "+{End}^c{Home}+{End}{Del}^+v"
}

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is a solution for AHK v1 (because it does not support #Hotif)

::####::
{
	WinGet, active, ProcessName, A
	if( active = "Evernote.exe" )
	{
		SetKeyDelay 30
		SendEvent +{End}^c{Home}+{End}{Del}^+v
	}
	else
	{
		Send, {#}{#}{#}{#}
	}
	Return	
}

• Like 1

I agree with the above comments that this is needed to turn a larger header, medium header or small header into normal text. (See @gellat_21's detailed note above.)

I have just up-voted the original post, above, by clicking on its ^ icon, and I would suggest others do the same if they think this is a worthwhile feature.