Copy & Paste - blank lines inserted; CTRL V in v10 not same as in v6 desktop

I'm seeing this in the desktop Windows10 EN v10 app and it occurs (sometimes, not that often) when copying a paragraph or sentence from a web page into an EN v10 note.  But it occurs frequently when I try to copy text from a web accessed email.  I have to view my corporate email via a browser MS Exchange session; no other options at this time.

When I copy text from the body of an email and paste it into an EN note using v10,

• sometimes it pastes in perfectly as per the original
  • most often it adds one blank line in between lines of text
  • sometimes it adds in two blank lines in between lines of text.

In some of the longer technical discussions/critical conversations it results in a lot of cleanup to remove the blank lines.  I'm also running v8 on desktop and there is no issue with inserting blank lines.  Most of the email I receive is HTML formatted.  Its' possible there is a difference with non-HTML email.  Have to find an example.

I have found that you really have to be careful in selecting text to pick up hidden formatting codes but still, v10 seemed to have an issue that v8 never had.

+++

Another issue noted recently:

v8 v6 - When copying and pasting from a PDF body into a note, the paste function retains some of the formatting of the copied text.  i.e.  bold text

v10 - does not copy over formatting; specifically bold text;  'CTRL V' and 'CTRL SHIFT V' output are identical

I actually want the bold text to copy over but in EN v10  it doesn't. 

Not a game breaker but notable because this copying is something I have to do as a work around to a separate confirmed bug with searching text in a PDF.  When you drop a PDF into an EN v10 note, most of the text gets indexed and is searchable but text with a very specific formatting (per my corporate product quotes) does NOT get indexed and is not searchable.

To work around this I manually open the PDF in Adobe Reader, copy all the text from the body, and paste it as standard text under the location of the dropped in PDF and in this manner the key piece of text is indexed.    A benefit is this text is readily viewable on my phone where previously I had to tap on the PDF icon to view the document in Android EN v8 v6 or v10.   I'm working back through about a 1000 notes using v8 as a result.

• Level 5

About blank lines: I assume there are hidden formatting commands embedded into the email. Most email today is not plain text any more, it is HTML code. EN is based on HTML as well - and it possibly interprets the same command differently.

To find out you can try to paste the mail content as plain text. If it pastes without a extra line, it likely is embedded code from the source that causes the observation.

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

About blank lines: I assume there are hidden formatting commands embedded into the email. Most email today is not plain text any more, it is HTML code. EN is based on HTML as well - and it possibly interprets the same command differently.

To find out you can try to paste the mail content as plain text. If it pastes without a extra line, it likely is embedded code from the source that causes the observation.

Which I acknowledged in my original post.

Bottom line for me is:

doesn't do it in v8 or did it so seldom that I can't recall it being an issue.

does it in v10 all the time

same email app for both

hence v10 is not optimal

• Level 5

By v. 8, I assume you mean v. 6? There never was a v. 8 of the Evernote Windows program. Be that as it may, the new code base (as I understand it) for v. 10 may very well treat pasted HTML differently than v. 6. I've seen other oddities in Web- and email-originated text. If Ctrl+Shift+V doesn't give the desired result, you could try simplifying or removing formatting (under More in the editing toolbar) after the paste to speed the cleanup.

• Level 5

You are aware that in a real world there is no „optimum“ ? Lying on the beach you may believe the sunny weather is close to your actual optimum (although your skin doctor might object …) - if you are the farmer seeing his corn crop fail, you will not see the very same weather to be close to anything called an optimum. It all depends.

It may well be the observation that it happens more often today has as much to do with more emails being send HTML coded as with the ability of an app to interpret the result. You can’t send cozy cat pictures with plain text emails …

HTML coded emails practically means that an email is a small website, as EN has the approach that each note is a little website in itself. Just add the usual flavors of HTML to it, and you see where it takes us.

Really nothing to bother, life is too valuable to care about a empty lines in a note. I am more upset about the footers that some legal departments believe should be added to emails. But that is a story for another day.

I had thought about first pasting into Notepad or RTF enabled Wordpad to try and filter out some of the HTML code.  But that is an extra step and so far it has been easier simply using "v6" to go back through the 1000 notes .

As I move to a higher percentage of daily input using v10, I'll keep in mind taking that extra step of filtering the text through Notepad or similar exclusively for those troublesome emails.

• Carl-L-ND changed the title to Copy & Paste - blank lines inserted; CTRL V in v10 not same as in v6 desktop
  • Level 5

Basically I drop emails into my account as they come, and that’s it.

I don’t go to a beauty contest with stored emails, and search and looking things up will work, a few extra lines or not. 

Just to mention it: I received an email thread today, in my Mail client. It had been forwarded by another person, and send by yet another. Imagine: 3 empty lines inserted between all paragraphs, but only into the mails from one party active in that conversation. None from the other participants. Really nice CR/LF characters, that could be displayed and manually deleted.

From the originator I am pretty sure the mails looked „normal“ when they were composed and send. So what I described as hidden HTML formatting going havoc already happens between Mail clients. There is no need to send anything into EN to get such an effect.

• Evernote Expert

I have a keystroke macro in my Email program that redirects the current message to my Evernote Email address. Generally it does exactly what I would expect without additional line feeds.

I never drop entire emails into Evernote.   I never use the EN email feature.  I should look at that for some of the high priority longer emails that come through.

I will copy out snippets of email conversations (and product PDFs) related to technical issues to include for reference as a solution is developed and refined - with iso8601 date stamps (i.e. 2022-08-17 see my other posts on v10 desktop being unable to do this where v6 desktop was capable - AutoHotKey is working perfectly to resolve that btw.  TY very much for that.).  My work email is quite fast and effective at finding the full email conversations going back years as long as I have snippets of key information and I'm working my laptop, not my phone.

I am a wee bit OCD about all the blank lines for easy reading ability, in particular off my mobile phone.

As much as some of EN v10's changes and  glitches are annoyingly requiring time to resolve, this app is far far more effective & convenient for me to manage client and technical information than what I used to use which was a mish mash of a CRM database app, folders/files on a laptop, and DropBox, that I was never able to access quickly or conveniently once I was away from my office .

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1