Evernote 10 in Windows 7?

• Level 5

My understanding has been that Evernote v. 10 simply would not install under Windows 7, per "Operating system requirements for Evernote" (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012107027😞 "Evernote is compatible with the operating systems listed below.... WINDOWS: Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)." But I still have a Windows 7 computer, and when I just went to evernote.com and clicked Download, I got the v. 10 installer. Clicked it, and it did indeed offer to install, once I quit the running copy of Evernote (v. 6). I canceled at that point.

So does anyone have any experience doing this? (Recognizing in advance that Win 7 is to be deprecated because of security issues.) Does the Evernote 10 Windows app run reliably under Windows 7?

• Level 5

Since I have no Win7 installation, I can only speculate.

But usually Windows apps are very tolerant regarding the OS. Typically some games will not run under older OS versions - often because they need some specific driver for the GPU. But most office software does not complain.

I think the statement of EN is to protect them against legal action, and to allow them to skip testing on a Win 7 testbed when releasing new versions.

• Level 5

Maybe I need to dialog more with the person in the original thread who actually has this working. I'm very reluctant to go ahead with the install. The deal is I still use this older computer because I haven't yet finished setting up the newer Win10 one as my main machine. I'd love to have EN 10 working on the old machine, instead of having to use legacy plus the Web client.  I only use v. 6 because I didn't think I could run v. 10 on this computer--I like v. 10 and am not attached to any features of v. 6. But I'd hate, hate, hate to install v. 10, use it twice, and have it louse something up.

• Evernote Expert

I see no reason not to try v10 on your Win 7 PC. But you VERY likely to need to install Legacy after v10 to get it working fully. The worst that could happen would be to have uninstall both versions and revert to Legacy if v10 fails (but I don't expect that it will).

• Level 5
Just now, agsteele said:

But you VERY likely to need to install Legacy after v10 to get it working fully.

Can you expand on that bit? What would v. 10 need to get from a Legacy installation?

I do suppose that it would be best to uninstall v. 6 with Revo Uninstaller before doing anything else, just to make sure there are no lingering crumbs to confuse the v 10 installer.

• Evernote Expert

Sorry, being a bit dim. I was assuming you wanted to start with both versions running alongside one another.

If you're ditching Legacy then just go with v10. You can still reinstall Legacy if all fails.

• Like 1