Check Box not syncing between android and PC.

After I create a checklist and sync, it displays on both PC and phone but when I update it on my phone, like checking a box and syncing it, the display on the PC changes.  The check box turns into a bullet.  

image.jpeg.59c5044550494874a67875cb41bb5f96.jpeg

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. What versions of Evernote are you using on your different devices? Basically, the newer version of Evernote (v. 10) encodes the checklist differently, in a way that older versions (v. 8 on Android, v. 6.25 on Windows; not sure of version nos. on other systems) interpret as a checkbox plus a bullet. It's super annoying to many people, including me. But it's not going to change, since the older versions are no longer being updated.

V. 10 differentiates between a checklist (with the box at the beginning of the line), in which checking the box results in a strikethrough of the rest of the item, and a checkbox (a box in the middle of a line), in which checking the box just checks the box. It's the checklist that shows up with bullets in the pre-10 versions. It can be avoided by placing any character, even a ., at the beginning of the line prior to the box, which is then interpreted as a checkbox, not a checklist.

That's the sum total of my knowledge on this wrinkle. Hope it's some help to you.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

I think @Dave-in-Decatur is spot on. Your screen shot looks like the Legacy version of Evernote. If you have v10 on your mobile device then this is an issue you are likely to face.

Try to use the same version on all devices or be very careful to ensure that you use check boxes everywhere. The real challenge is that Evernote v10 will convert a list starting with checkboxes into a checklist.

Thank you so much... It makes sense.  I checked my versions.  My windows is 6.25.1.9091 and Android is 10.37.   It's just that it happened recently and I haven't updated the apps.  I'll try to run the same versions.

• Level 5

You are on legacy with Windows, and on the new client on Android. Checklists are a feature of the new client, and legacy simply can't interpret it correctly.

For Windows you can make the transition to the new client. If you like, you can install the "legacy" client again after upgrading your current setup. To make the transition download the Evernote client from the website, and install it. It will detect the prior installation, and guide you through the process.

Make sure to run a backup of your local notebooks before, if you have used them.

• Level 5

It syncs by itself - see the grey text on the program windows border bottom right ? It tells the status of syncing - easy to overlook.

To force a sync: Hold down the option key before clicking on the Help menu. Click on the "Troubleshooting" menu item, and select "Reload" or "Forced reload".

Sadly this is a problem the other way too. Until very recently checklists in V10 were interpreted as checkboxes in my legacy Android version. Now they come across as bullet points. Not sure I really want to update my phone, which works perfectly OK for everything else, just to get V10. I suppose the alternative is to convert the checklists I frequently use on my phone to checkboxes. 

I've a different version of this problem.

I'm on the latest version of the app on Android (10.36) but the tasks don't synch correctly to the browser interface I use on other devices.

Not sure how I check the version number of the web interface I'm running.

Ta Mike. Shows me I'm running 10.42.7 on the web.
Essentially I've two tasks in a note on the android app & the note synchs fine but only the first task displays on the web interface.

Edited by imurphy
fixing error in prob description
  • Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, imurphy said:

I've a different version of this problem.

I'm on the latest version of the app on Android (10.36) but the tasks don't synch correctly to the browser interface I use on other devices.

Not sure how I check the version number of the web interface I'm running.

Sorry you're having an issue with Tasks.  I think this is an entirely different issue. I'd recommend that you start a separate thread to focus on the issue you are experiencing.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Sorry you're having an issue with Tasks.  I think this is an entirely different issue. I'd recommend that you start a separate thread to focus on the issue you are experiencing.

Done @