Support URL schemes (internal links) to Finder items and documents from other apps

This was working nicely in the classic version of Evernote v7.14 but to date, in the new version of Evernote, I have the issue that I cannot use links to Finder items anymore. The same goes for other apps like Things, Cardhop, and DEVONthink, however those URL schemes had never worked. I would like to see implementation of URL schemes so that links like the following examples will resolve correctly. After all, Apple Notes opens those links in their respective applications just fine. Evernote should be able to do so as well!

• file:///Users/martin/Downloads
  • x-devonthink-item://F1ED6DCB-FC81-4FAC-8F70-24118A1928AE
  • things:///show?id=ToNNXNDwkt7gkLZvtUx9L4
  • x-cardhop://show?id=contact:C1826097-1D1B-45C3-9464-0FD5A103067F&contact=CVS

Please reply to this topic if you agree.

• Like 1

It doesn't auto-add the link for you like it does with HTTP URLs. So just doing this won't create a hyperlink:

image.png.de76e5375ff7adec60242ed607b71802.png

But you can do it manually:

image.png.aef11a26c579041fd0abf27accffe258.png

image.png.aaee68abe3e005f304d9784e2879e2b7.png

Then when you click on the link:

image.png.01974d28602a77fa811c3289860efd9e.png

Also -- this works if you like seeing the URL:

image.png.99cba06eb22e526192306fed5ded4b28.png

It works the same for local files, so I suspect it works for everything else.
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Boot17. This works indeed for Finder (*) and Things. However, unfortunately not for DEVONthink and Cardhop (*)

Other writing applications create links immediately when pressing return at the end of the link but I can remember to follow the procedure:

• Select text
  • Press keyboard shortcut Command-K or select "Add Link" from the contextual menu
  • Paste URL
  • Click "Apply"

(*) EDIT: it seems that some links to Cardhop or DEVONthink indeed work but others don't - they open in a browser instead :( Additionally, some links to Finder folders work but others don't (UNIX permissions are the same) – I'm on High Sierra, perhaps that's the issue?

Works: file:///Users/martin/Downloads

Does not work: file:///Users/martin/Pictures

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 23.47.33.png

• Like 1

Solved (partly) I had been using the Mac App Store version of the Evernote application. I now downloaded Evernote directly from the Evernote site and now, links to Finder, Cardhop, Things, and the Notebooks app resolve fine. A big 👏 to the forum users @CoID and @wealthychef in this thread here. So, Mac App Store apps are limited ("sandboxed"), oh well.

What's not working though are links to DEVONthink items: Evernote enforces them to have "http://" at the beginning – my browser opens instead. So even if I paste...

x-devonthink-item://123B53E7-4AA4-49C3-9944-B4FAE3600A56

...Evernote makes it into...

http://x-devonthink-item://123B53E7-4AA4-49C3-9944-B4FAE3600A56

...which is a link that I cannot even correct – cannot remove the "http://" part :(

Evernote, if you're reading this – please fix. The workaround for DEVONthink links is: paste the link into an Apple Note first, hit return (makes it automatically into a link). Then copy and paste the link into Evernote.

• 3 months later...