Evernote free not syncing??

Hello, I have been using Evernote legacy for a long time, because of the shortcuts bar on top. Recently I decided I don't use that so much so I will try the standard version. Of course things got bad pretty quickly as I suspected :( Notes are not syncing and on my phone I still see an old version of the Note which I started to write in Evernote legacy! And I cannot see any frikin sync button to force it manually! Another thing I cannot find is any kind of settings or options related to syncing which are in legacy version.

So I wonder: do I need to pay and upgrade from free to EverNote personal to be able to sync or is this some kind of bug?

• McVitas changed the title to Evernote free not syncing??
  • Level 5

Legacy and v10 sync to the same server database - always, any plan. There are just some data formats that v10 creates, but legacy can't read. They will show in legacy as "unsupported". Tasks is an example for that.

You don't write which phone. Anyhow, go to app settings, tab synchronization, sync now. Done. You can pull down the notes list with a finger a little, and let go. This will start a sync as well.

Since you are on Free, and no 3rd client allowed, you can't check on the web client whether the notes are synced on the server, or you only see it in legacy.  Because - sorry, dear legacy lovers - legacy can cause syncing problems as well. Since it runs off its own database, and only syncs in the background, the legacy database can accumulate errors, and will not be able to sync these corrupted notes.

You are happily dinging away on legacy, see what you want, and think the rest of the EN ecosystem is shot. Can be - but it can be as well that legacy is corrupted, and the server does not receive the changes. So checking the server status in the web client is the gold standard to see where a problem may be located. Not possible on Free (usually), because you used up the allowed clients with one desktop, one mobile already.

You may think about buying a month of Personal, sort everything out and let it slip to Free again if you don't want the subscription.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The Sync options are the same on all clients from Free to Professional and (theoretically) happen transparently in background.  Depending on how many notes you have and when exactly you installed the new client it might take some time for your devices to catch up with the new version. If you told us what device(s) you're actually using,  maybe someone can suggest how to force a sync... (logging out and back in is usually a good way).

I am sorry I don't know why does it matter what phone it is, since the problem started on a PC when I switched from Evernote Legacy to the standard green icon Evernote. But OK if you think this info will help anyone - I have android Samsung Galaxy S10.

@PinkElephant please be more specific and tell me where do you see tab synchronization. As I wrote in the OP I don't see any such option in the desktop client!
If you are talking about the phone then yes it is there, but as I suspected it didn't do anything - Note edited on a PC is not updated on the phone and note created on the phone doesn't appear on the PC although it said "sync done", so apparently something's wrong somewhere.

@gazumped " some time for your devices to catch up with the new version" - so what exactly you think this catching up means? Is there some new database file being created maybe? How can I see how much of it is done already? Maybe in some log file?

In total I have around 2500 notes in about a dozen notebooks.

• Evernote Expert

In the desktop, V10 for Windows, force sync with Ctrl+R.

But as @PinkElephant says, diagnosing sync issues is most easily achieved with the web browser. If the missing note is on the web server then the issue is with the mobile device sync. If the note isn't on the web then your guess that the issue is with the V10 desktop is correct.

Well, I don't have access to a web client, but it worked just fine for years and it broke only when I tried running the green EverNote instead of the grey one, so my guess is that Phone syncs just fine and it also reports sync done. Desktop client doesn't say anything. Now I am afraid what would happen if I run again the Legacy... if this thing doesn't start syncing then I will have to anyway...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, McVitas said:

Now I am afraid what would happen if I run again the Legacy...

It it perfectly feasible to use Legacy rather than v10 on desktops; but if you're talking about running Legacy on your iPhone,  that's not going to happen. It's not possible to step back.  I'd imagine this will all resolve itself over the next few days as your iPhone catches up...

• Level 5
10 minutes ago, McVitas said:

Well, I don't have access to a web client, but it worked just fine for years and it broke only when I tried running the green EverNote instead of the grey one, so my guess is that Phone syncs just fine and it also reports sync done. Desktop client doesn't say anything. Now I am afraid what would happen if I run again the Legacy... if this thing doesn't start syncing then I will have to anyway...

All this is just wild guessing, and trying to dance around, poking here and there can only result in creating syncing conflicts and note duplication.

Beside this, you should be precise about what you use and have installed. From your initial post my impression was you are still running legacy on desktop and v10 on "a" phone (my bad ....). What you describe is things are out of sync, and it can be that the source of the trouble is a not completely synced legacy database (I had about 0,5% missing notes from legacy when I started to find and reduce my note count differences between clients).

In your case it is not possible to get a hold on this problem, because a) you can only have 2 clients active at any time and b) you can only unsync 2 clients per month. Each client counts as a "device", so legacy desktop, v10 desktop, web client and the phone are 4 clients you need to open and compare to locate the problem.

Without subscribing and by this opening the number of devices, it will not be possible to find out which problem you need to solve in which client. And remember - it is usually the legacy client where one needs to start, because the legacy database will collect mistakes over time, and since you usually don't notice, you don't correct them (or did you ever run the different database repair options available in legacy ?). Checking legacy and the web client / server, and bringing the difference down to zero is always the first step. Then the other clients get a clean copy, and from there it is much easier to sort things out.

Or with other words: You can button the jacket up nicely as you wish - if you missed the first button hole, you need to open it all up again.

In other words I am once again convinced that this product sucks... 😕

@gazumpedsorry but who was talking about iPhone here? You are probably reading multiple threads at once...

@PinkElephant Well. I think I wrote it all quite clearly - on the desktop I am using EverNote legacy for many years (because I always wanted a shortcuts bar on top which is only there). And about the phone - is there a way to run any other Evernote version then what is on a google Play Store? And if it was then would it be useful for anything? Now I check the mobile version and it says 10.34.1

If you say the device subscribing/unsubscribing is limited per month, then you think I can unsubscribe the Android device, test sync in web client and then subscribe android again

• Evernote Expert

Here's a thought... You have previously used Legacy desktop and a mobile device.  Two devices.  Now you have added the new v10 into the mix.  That makes a third device which is not permitted on the Free account.  This could just be a case of too many devices attempting to register on your account. THat you have stopped using the so-called Legacy does not automatically de-register it from your account.

I would attempt to clean up the number of devices that Evernote thinks you have.

Before you do this export the notes which haven't synchronised so that you have them to reinstall. (You will probably need them if you decide to give up on v10 and go back to Legacy.

Sign out of Evernote and choose the option to remove your data from this device.

Open the account pages and check and see which 'devices' are listed.

You can de-register two devices this month on the free account. If you can see three devices listed then de-register the two running Windows.  Otherwise just de-register the single Windows device.

Now restart Evernote v10 and sign in.  The application will recreate your data from the server.  This will take a short period of time. If, as we anticipate, you are missing the notes that were not synchronising then you have them to import.

If this does not work then your best bet would be to subscribe for one month.  This is a modest amount for the month. It will give you access to multiple devices and the ability to deregister and retry as much as you wish.  It will also give you access to the support offered to subscribers. Support Ticket – Evernote Help & Learning

if I go to www.evernote.com it tells me I need to unsync some device, I click select devices and I see this

image.png.e4527b5c7ef87add85f15f25bf0f7247.png

that looks like nothing no new v10 device was added. It's as it was before...

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, McVitas said:

sorry but who was talking about iPhone here? You are probably reading multiple threads at once...

Sorry - skipped a medication again... :blink:

I still think we're overthinking this - you updated (checks thread nervously) your desktop and (I assume) your phone automatically updated,  so they're both on the same level of client.  There's no reason why both devices should not 'see' the same notes,  unless one or the other is not syncing to the server correctly.  Evernote has a standard help page on the topic,  and @agsteele just came up with another valid possibility - have you checked how many devices Evernote thinks are connected to your account?

Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues

Understanding the device limit

• Level 5

My opinion: We are other users. We can try to help you, but we can’t solve an issue that looks like it has some deeper roots.

Subscribe for a month. This will give you access to support, unlimited devices and so on. Sorting it out when in the next step we use 2 unsyncs, and then need to wait 30 days until it resets is not the way to help you out.

• Evernote Expert
3 minutes ago, McVitas said:

if I go to www.evernote.com it tells me I need to unsync some device, I click select devices and I see this

image.png.e4527b5c7ef87add85f15f25bf0f7247.png

that looks like nothing no new v10 device was added. It's as it was before...

Well it was worth checking. Sorry it didn't prove useful.  You certainly now need to de-register a device.  I guess you reached your account settings via the web browser for the application. Just de-register Evernote web unless, of course, you plan to use that in the future.

You still have the option to pay for one month and grab direct support from Evernote techs. Otherwise, if you are going back to Legacy then de-register web and Thor.

about the devices connected see my last screenshots.

About the version on the phone - again I am wondering how can there be any other client level then the last version which is on play store. I had the app open on the phone all the time since morning and I didn't notice anything being upgraded.

Allright you convinced me and I just bought personal account for 7€ :) So let me see what's the status... Right now desktop app says there is an update to be installed, so I do it.

well, so it is as I suspected - all changes done on the phone are visible on the web client but not in the desktop app :( Nothing created or updated in the desktop app is visible in the web client.

• Evernote Expert

My  recommendation is to go through the Sign out / Remove your data / Sign In and allow the desktop to rebuild your data. This feels like a damaged install. Don't forget to export your unsynced notes in desktop so that you still have them to import after this process.

If you want to be more radical you could completely uninstall Evernote and be sure that all the data and program directories are also deleted before reinstalling.

The other option you have is to use the Force Reload option in Help / Troubleshooting. Ctrl+Shift+R    If Troubleshooting does not appear then hold the Ctrl button and click on the Help menu to reveal it. Maybe try that first but I suspect this is a data corruption blocking synchronisation.

IT WORKS!

So I was just doing something else around the house, then got back to it and I see it is synced! So I suppose there was some invisible process happening somewhere. Now when I type something in the desktop app it appears quickly in the web client as well!

It would be great if there was some message or warning informing user about this to prevent people from thinking it's broken.

So thanks for your cooperation. My opinion about Evernote got a bit better

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

So now you have to decide whether to keep on with a Personal subscription or cancel renewal at the end of the month. If you decide to cancel be sure to see register whichever devices you don't want to retain. At the point of switching back to Free you will do to all the limits on the Free account.

• Level 5

To avoid trouble, I would do the unsyncing always while still on the subscription. On a subscription you have no cap on devices, and you specifically have to cap on unsyncs either. So do the unsyncing of the devices you will ditch on Free while still on the subscription.

Once you are back on Free, you can only unsync 2 devices per 30 days - and as long as there are more than the 2 allowed devices registered, you will have trouble on Free because it will always remind you to unsync.

So set yourself a reminder, and do some home cleaning on the last days when you are still on the subscription.