Will sync ever work properly?

15 hours ago, Alxa said:

It's a shame, EN10 is such a resource monster.

Yeah, electron/react apps force people to buy a new phone every  3 years, creating a dramatic amount of e-waste. Very bad for the planet

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Phone = Android

We have the iOS client on a number of iOS devices, the oldest from 2014 (iPad Air 2) and 2015 (iPhone 6S+). The EN client is not snappy on these 2, but usable. No issues on newer devices.

What can make a difference: An aging battery delivers a lower voltage to the CPU. The voltage controls the tact frequency of the CPU. Lower voltage = lower tact = less computing power.

So often replacing the battery will make an aging phone feel fresh again. The rule of thumb is when the battery is below 80% of its new capacity, it should be replaced.

Apple does it within 2 hours on the Genius Bar, for a fixed price including material and labor.

Another issue with Android is often a lack of OS updates. But that’s another story.

Hey, everyone can replace a battery on Android, too and we do this 😁. On my Android devices the one and only app which is that much resource hungry is EN10. If you use a native Android note taking app as OneNote, UpNote, or the gold old EN8.13.3 there is likely only little performance difference between a 4 year old device and a new one, I do not bother about it. Everything feels fresh. Using EN10 on react framework on Android you cannot use the app on the old device because it does not offer the excessive resources the react framework demands to work out something simple as displaying text and pictures. 😞 It is a problem a lot of react "apps" show on (my) older devices. I really hope Bending Spoons will dive more into this misery.

• Level 5

Either they use a different framework on iOS (no idea), or the implementation is simply better.

I just wanted to point to the fact that often it is not an app, or an OS update that makes an aging phone slower - it often is the aging battery. We all could avoid a lot of unnecessary electronic waste when we would swap batteries instead of swapping the whole device. And it is much cheaper as well.

• Like 1