Some content from updated notes is missing

Go to solution Solved by Austin G,

Please, help me with this!

Since the last 3-4 days, when I update a note, some piece of content dissapears. It's totally random. Sometimes it's a link, sometimes it's a piece of text... This happens very often and I can't work this way.

I am using this Evernote version:

10.38.1-win-ddl-public (3408)
Editor: v149.0.18202
Servicio: v1.53.0

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  This is definitely not normal or expected behaviour.  You would be able to access Note History (if you're a subscriber) to restore previous versions of a note;  and you can certainly create a  copy of an existing note before you start to edit it,  to make sure that future 'losses' are avoided - but why this is happening I cannot say.  Are you updating large notes?  Could you make a new note to add new information rather than edit an existing text?

Thank you, @gazumped.

hace 11 horas, gazumped dijo:

You would be able to access Note History (if you're a subscriber) to restore previous versions of a note

I have a Plus Plan. I tried to access Note History, but it seems that it's only available with Personal o Professional Plans. I'm creating backup notes manually, but information is missing even in some backups. 

hace 11 horas, gazumped dijo:

Are you updating large notes? 

I don't think so. This note has 16 KB, 639 words and 3299 characters. It's 8-10 lists with 50-60 links to other Evernote notes. But I've done this kind of note before and this is the first time I find troubles. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  A free user could upgrade,  even if only temporarily;  but if you change from Plus,  you'll lose the chance to go back since that's no longer a supported level.  Best option I think is to report this to Support who can at least look at the server to see what might be going wrong.

Meantime,  just to check that this is not a 'display' issue where the information is still present,  just not being shown to you - have you checked your account in a browser via Evernote.com?

It may also be worthwhile 

1. To rebuild your local data file:

# Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
    # Select the "Remove my Evernote
    data from this device" option
    # Click Sign out. # Restart your computer.
    # Sign back in to Evernote (NB it will take a little while to rebuild local information)

2. Or to uninstall / restart the device / reinstall the app.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on!

Thank you again, you're very helpful :)

I want to upgrade to Personal Plan, but I need to solve this trouble first.

hace 2 horas, gazumped dijo:

Best option I think is to report this to Support who can at least look at the server to see what might be going wrong.

How can I do that?

Meantime,  just to check that this is not a 'display' issue where the information is still present,  just not being shown to you - have you checked your account in a browser via Evernote.com?

I'll check with the browser the next time.

It may also be worthwhile 

1. To rebuild your local data file:

# Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
    # Select the "Remove my Evernote
    data from this device" option
    # Click Sign out. # Restart your computer.
    # Sign back in to Evernote (NB it will take a little while to rebuild local information)

2. Or to uninstall / restart the device / reinstall the app.

I've just do it. Fingers crossed. 

Thank you very much! 

This is happening to me too, but on the web version. I have tried updating my chromebook and linux browsers like edge and android Opera and still the issue persists. 

I have reported this and have two tickets in waiting for technical team to go through. Till then, I have paused using Evernote. 

Screenshot 2022-06-06 11.21.10 AM.png

• Like 1

Hi! Since last 2 days, it seems that the problem has gone. 

I rebuilt my local data file and I updated to the new version (10.38.3-win-ddl-public (3437)). 

Thank you for your help.

• Like 2
On 6/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, jorgitus said:

I rebuilt my local data file and I updated to the new version (10.38.3-win-ddl-public (3437)). 

Thank you for your help.

Hello
But were parts of your notes restored that way? I am missing chunks of notes I need, even more funny - in Ukraine, so, just want to check if this is worhty time spending for already affected notes. Thank you.

And if not, will it be possible to access previous versions of a note that were before paid subscription plan, or will it show history of notes edited after the subsription?

One thing I noticed - it happens with mobile hotspot internet for me now, in case it might be useful information for this topic to be present in.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, mishatarantsov said:

will it be possible to access previous versions of a note that were before paid subscription plan

Yes. The notes history process runs on all the servers all the time.  If you become a subscriber you should have access to the history of all your notes back to the day they were created.  History can be missing for a variety of reasons,  but as long as the main note body still exists it's usually pretty reliable.

You'll also be able to send a full report to Evernote support to ask them to look into the issues. 

Good luck with your situation in the Ukraine - you have the support of a large part of the world.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2022 at 9:57, jorgitus dijo:

Unfortunately it's happening again. I'll have to report this to support.

1 hour ago, mishatarantsov dijo:

But were parts of your notes restored that way?

No, missing parts were still missing. 

• Like 1
On 6/7/2022 at 6:13 AM, Aman Pichunia said:

This is happening to me too, but on the web version. I have tried updating my chromebook and linux browsers like edge and android Opera and still the issue persists. 

I have reported this and have two tickets in waiting for technical team to go through. Till then, I have paused using Evernote. 

Screenshot 2022-06-06 11.21.10 AM.png

This exact thing is happening to me as well, with the check boxes replacing random written content in my notes. I have the subscription but the history version doesnt show the missing content. This is a very concerning glitch...

Exact same issue here - random chunks of content in a note will just disappear.  Same issue with Desktop app on PC and web app. 

Seems to be happen where the content in question is checklists / bullet points. 

Have logged a support ticket.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JamesGNZ said:

Exact same issue here - random chunks of content in a note will just disappear.  Same issue with Desktop app on PC and web app. 

Seems to be happen where the content in question is checklists / bullet points. 

Have logged a support ticket.

I hope, support fixes this soon. I too have a open ticket with the tech support. 

• Level 5

The web client automatically updates, and it usually is in sync with the released version on the EN home page.

If it seems not to update, log out, clear the EN browser history, and load it fresh. But as I said, only after the new version got released.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The web client automatically updates, and it usually is in sync with the released version on the EN home page.

If it seems not to update, log out, clear the EN browser history, and load it fresh. But as I said, only after the new version got released.

I know that sir. My question was will there be an update fixing that issue on Evernote web

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Do Windows and Web client's updates get released together? 

• Level 5

Up to now 38 releases (plus a few point-releases) have been published, and direct download and web have been in sync. The only delays have been with the „Stores“, and with the update notification.

So I expect the web client to be upgraded when the direct download gets available. My expectation, as another user.

We will know when it is there.

• Like 2

Glad to hear about this update - this has now happened to me twice in the past few weeks. I was able to restore all the content (I think) between all the different version histories. Also happened with bullet points, on Windows app. Terrifying.

• Level 5

When we all keep busy posting support tickets, we have a chance it gets sorted out earlier than without.

We can all agree that EN should run a proper QA before releasing - however  with a complex app running on a multitude of devices, there will probably be some slip. Nothing beats the experience of the many.

• Like 2

Hi all, 

I think I'm having the same issue and it's driving me mad / making me anxious to use Evernotes (which I rely on heavily and use on a daily basis).

I currently use the app (Personal account) on Android and the Windows standalone app (never used the web browser) which is updated to the latest version 10.38.3. I essentially use the app for a weekly "to-do" list note with tickboxes under each day, but am currently having entire day randomly go missing... I've resorted to copying and pasting them into new notes or offline notepad files, but I don't want to do this in the long run I just want to operate without fear of losing everything! I've attached an example, there were 20+ entries on Monday which just disappeared (but mysteriously left one entry).

My questions are;

• Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?
  • Is it my fault?! Or a bug
  • Does using the same notes across different devices cause the issue? (I've had duplicate notes occur due to conflicts before, but never lost entire sections)
  • How does the history feature work? I'm not sure it will help in these circumstances as I'm using the notes all day every day, and will often have added /rearranged entire sections before noticing the missing material)

If it is better to post on a separate ticket please let me know, I'm not very Evernotes savy but really need this fixed it's doing my head in. 

Thanks a lot!

example note.png

Will this be updated in the Mac OS App Store soon? The updater is still showing 10.38.3 as being the latest version. I've had this happen twice now to my To-Do's note that I use a lot throughout the day. I haven't been able to recover all the data unfortunately and would very much appreciate a fix so I can start using Evernote again.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, TeeJayCee said:

Will this be updated in the Mac OS App Store soon?

The app store (I would imagine) works at its own pace.  The latest version will be available at Evernote.com if you check there...

• Level 5

The release in the AppStore is mainly an Apple thing. They run every code set to be released through a series of tests, to make sure it contains no malicious code, and that it complies with Apple rules on what software can do (and what is not allowed).

This takes some time, and causes a delay compared to the direct download.

When staying on the latest version is relevant for you, use the direct download.

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

The app store (I would imagine) works at its own pace.  The latest version will be available at Evernote.com if you check there...

Low and behold, the App Store had the latest version available this morning. Mac friends, your update awaits (and it seems to have cleared the bug - still taking precautions by duplicating all my work offline as well but hopefully we won't see any more missing content)