Tags

Venkata

Idea

The present feature of inserting a Tag to the Note is of no purpose as the content in the note can be searched by the Name of the Note itself.

Providing the feature of adding a Tag to a Task/Calendar event / text would be useful to retrieve the content based on the Tag from various Notebooks/ Notes. 

8 replies to this idea

5 hours ago, Venkata said:

The present feature of inserting a Tag to the Note is of no purpose as the content in the note can be searched by the Name of the Note itself.

I completely disagree. For example I use the programming language R. If I search for R I will get thousands and thousands of notes most of which are nothing to do with R. If you don't need tags then that is fine but please don't tell everybody else they don't need them either.

5 hours ago, Venkata said:

Providing the feature of adding a Tag to a Task/Calendar event / text would be useful to retrieve the content based on the Tag from various Notebooks/ Notes. 

The request to be able to tag tasks has been made many times before and I agree that it would be a useful addition to the task functionality. Of course you can search by text so given your previous pronouncement I am unclear why you feel that tags are necessary in this case.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I concur with what @Mike P said. The wording in many documents is not set by yourself - it is by somebody else. Even worse when you may collect information in different languages.

The tags you define yourself, and you can set them standardized to make up for the diversity of the documents.

13 hours ago, Venkata said:

My both statements means that Tags for tasks would be more useful than Tags for Notes.

For you may be but not necessarily for everybody and certainly not for me.

As I said I would also like tags for tasks but in the mean time there is no reason for you not to implement your own tagging system. Just include a word preceded by a character like #, @ or $ e.g. #home. Then use the text search to find the task.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I completely disagree. For example I use the programming language R. If I search for R I will get thousands and thousands of notes most of which are nothing to do with R. If you don't need tags then that is fine but please don't tell everybody else they don't need them either.

The request to be able to tag tasks has been made many times before and I agree that it would be a useful addition to the task functionality. Of course you can search by text so given your previous pronouncement I am unclear why you feel that tags are necessary in this case.

The purpose of the second statement is that we can get the tasks compiled as per the date & time of the task and if Tags are attached to each task we can also get the compiled tasks as per the Tags also. So for every task, retrieving by two methods would be possible. 

My both statements means that Tags for tasks would be more useful than Tags for Notes.

• Evernote Expert
6 minutes ago, Venkata said:

I'm not sure that I would agree for my use but perhaps a proposal for your own use case.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

Just include a word preceded by a character like #, @ or $ e.g. #home. Then use the text search

You might need a different identifier, for example _home
My understanding is that special characters (except underscore) are excluded from the search indexing

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You might need a different identifier
My understanding is that special characters (except underscore) are excluded from the search indexing

I did actually test it before I posted. A search for Home brought up 3 tasks including the one labelled with #Home. A search for #Home just brought up the one task labelled with #Home.

I should perhaps have emphasised that I was using the search bar within the task pop-out. I'm unclear as to whether  @Venkata wanted to search for notes containing tasks with the tag or for tasks containing the tag. @DTLow is absolutely right that if you search for a note containing #Home EN strips out the # and just searches for Home.

image.png.048f38f5b519e155283361c93c2703b6.png