Evernote taskbar icon on "light taskbar"

Hello,

The evernote taskbar icon is white.

In consequence, when the taskbar is in light mode, it is very difficult to see where is the evernote taskbar icon.

Seems that this icon is only suitable for dark mode of windows.

evernote.jpg

• Evernote Expert

Not only connected to light mode. I use light mode but still have a dark grey taskbar background. You could tweak your Taskbar accent colour to better work for you. Another option is to choose Dark Mode for Windows and Light Mode for applications.

Otherwise, submit a support ticket or send feedback so that the Evernote developers are aware.

I filed a bug for it.  Thanks for the report.  I added it to our Accessibility bug list since it does affect color contrast and visibility.

• 8 months later...
  • Evernote Expert

I find this issue easy to forget. I don't have the Evernote icon in the System Tray. Instead I have a shortcut in the taskbar since I prefer the left click to open the program and never use the Quick Note option.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, agsteele said:

I find this issue ready to forget. I don't have the Evernote icon in the System Tray. Instead I have a shortcut in the taskbar since I prefer the left click to open the program and never use the Quick Note option.

@agsteele, were you responding to a different thread? This one actually is about the taskbar, not the System Tray.

I don't know why Evernote's taskbar icon should be a different color in Win11 than Win10, but this definitely sounds like an issue for technical support (if you are a paid subscriber): https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, agsteele said:

The image in the OP was of the system tray although described as taskbar. It is common to mistakenly refer to the taskbar when meaning the system tray.

My bad. For me the elephant is in the "hidden icons" section that I have to click on the ^ to get to; and he is indeed a ghostly fellow there. I never use that to access Evernote, and I seldom need a quick note either, so I haven't felt the problem.

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN staff is usually not present in the Forum.

Happily in this case EN staff did respond over a year ago.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:52 PM, RMorgan said:

I filed a bug for it.  Thanks for the report.  I added it to our Accessibility bug list since it does affect color contrast and visibility.

Given that most companies like their products to be prominent and eye catching, I'm surprised this has not been given higher priority!

image.png.f02a2a5cb996dd23e7354c9edf634dca.png

• Like 1

Still not fixed two years later I guess, I just got an update pushed and my icon is invisible, white on white and I cannot change the colour where it is displayed. By the looks of it, they broke a hundred other million things too. Duplicated my device pre and post install so had to remove it, not supporting local notes. I've only restarted the application like 5 times trying to discover where the try icon went and it failed to completely load three times out of the 5, stalling at welcome screens with green spinning circles, the layout although preferable for handheld devices translated to desktops to save on programming is awful, it looks childish and you have notes like this:-

this is and exam

ple of a note to

in a box that ma

kes it real easy t

o read and unde

rstand and there

is six of these ac

cross the screen.

Then I decide to back up my notes having encountered the change and its a whopping 388mb size folder with 180mb for database which get this contains at most 1 picture and 30 notes less than a screen worth of text with the majority being just one or two line. I've definitely notice a huge hit in performance.

I see "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator" and it probably wont be but what is the world happened this application.

How can somebody not replace an icon in a application?

[Edit] -----------------------

So I take 2 minuets to look at this and here is where both application and tray icon are located.

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons

But get this if you put any tray icon or name any icon "trayIcon.ico" it gets over written with the white elephant icon!

Speechless! 

[/Edit] -----------------------

[Edit2] ----------------------

So here is the fix, seem the change is corrupted some how even with copied icons is white but different but editing the icon shoe it as the original green. so what I did was exit explorer via task manager, run "ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache" as admin and re-launched explorer as admin, I cant restart my computer right now. Funny that only one of the icons corrected itself (the one with the correct name) as I made backups but now I have a green icon and it can probably be changed for whatever icon you like.

[/Edit2]----------------------

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There are accessibility issues about that white icon, and I agree it should be changed. There's been a "phase" in UI design in recent years in which contrast between text/image and background was deprecated. I haven't seen it everywhere, but enough places to know that someone somewhere is teaching it as the cool thing to do. Sooner or later, reality will set in, and the notion of being able to see what's on the screen will become popular again. It seems small, and I personally practically never use that icon; but if it's there, it ought to be visible to people of all visual acuities. Also some people just can't stand change. Fortunately, we never see them around here.

Well I tested and you can put whatever icon you like in that path ... I think something is causing this issue because the same problem happened with Skype which was also updated this week. I did notice a different about the icons though, it not just that they are white, its the quality and detail that is getting mixed, cached or installed, idk, all the original icons are the lower quality type and the messed up icon is always a much higher resolution. Anyways the solution is there if changing the taskbar theme is not an option. 

On 4/28/2023 at 10:46 PM, Happy Go Lucky said:

...here is where both application and tray icon are located.

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons

@Happy Go Lucky

- THANK YOU!  this was such an easy update & now I have a working icon.  I hadn't been able to find the icon file until you posted this. Again, Thanks!