Scan Issues

Hi all,

I am not using the Legacy anymore and i am working only with the new Evernote now, currently I have version 10.28.3. 

A function that I often use is scanning from my mobile different documents. I use the evernote widget on my android and then through the camera icon i choose auto (is a default selection in any case) then i point on the document and the area to be scanned is auto selected. 

I am having below two issues (not always though but very often)

1. After the scan - although I see the scanned document on my phone, when Evernote synchronizes with the desktop version I get an empty note, when I go back to my evernote app on my phone it is not there either.

2. When I want to scan in landscape - it doesn't work. With the Legacy I was positioning my phone in landscape and then i could scan in landscape. With the new Evernote it doesnt work, it switches back to the portrait. 

Do you have any idea how these issues can be solved?

Thank you so much in advance

Spyros Bonatsos

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Markaseos said:

Do you have any idea how these issues can be solved?

Hi.  Contact Support so they're aware of the issue,  and maybe look at different ways to capture a scan?  There are a variety of third-party apps including those from Adobe and Microsoft (and Evernote Scannable) that might serve as work-arounds while Evernote looks at this...

• Level 5

Syncing issues: Maybe your desktop database is corrupted. You can try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Landscape: No landscape mode when taking the picture. You can take it in either orientation, it will show vertical. To swap it into landscape tap on the picture, then tap on the rotate icon below the picture. Once rotated it will save in landscape view.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Contact Support so they're aware of the issue,  and maybe look at different ways to capture a scan?  There are a variety of third-party apps including those from Adobe and Microsoft (and Evernote Scannable) that might serve as work-arounds while Evernote looks at this...

Thank you. Do these Apps send the scan directly into Evernote? The same way that the build in scan does?

3 hours ago, agsteele said:

Which version of the Android app are you using?

Evernote 10.24 with the Android version 12.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Landscape: No landscape mode when taking the picture. You can take it in either orientation, it will show vertical. To swap it into landscape tap on the picture, then tap on the rotate icon below the picture. Once rotated it will save in landscape view.

Thats a pity - Legacy version used to scan landscape. In order to capture an A3 in portrait I need to have the camera at a longer distance so i am afraid that  I will lose details. Thank you anyway.

I will try signing out - the issue is that the scanned picture is not in the phone either.

Thank you all

Spyros

• Level 5

Disclaimer: I describe possibilities in the iOS app here - I don’t have any Android devices.

You can take the picture in landscape - it will just turn into portrait in the app, and you can turn it back. This AFAIK does not change the pixels, you won’t loose resolution.

In the app settings, camera there is a switch. It decides whether to save the pictures taken with the build in mode in the camera roll as well. I have it off, most pics taken with the EN camera are not worth saving there.

For extreme resolution I would always use the camera app of the phone, and send the picture via sharing into EN. A3 does tell nothing - you can take a fully legible picture of an A1 flipchart from a Meeting with a childrens point&shoot.

3rd party apps are not saving into EN, except Scannable, which is an app provided by EN. I am just not sure whether it is available for Android. With other apps you scan into the app, and share the resulting file into EN.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, agsteele said:

On Android I use CamScanner which is a much better application. The resulting image or PDF is then shared into Evernote.

Thank you - I will give it a try. Too bad though because with the legacy, I have never had any issues. I was scanning directly into Evernote - fast and good quality. i will try the CamScanner. Thank you.

• Level 5

As explained above, EN is my scanner for a quick take, a page or two. It does not fail me, OK for the occasional scanning when on the paperless trail.

Open EN, hit the scan button, scan, create the note, title, tags, notebook - done.

It is like that Swiss knife or Leatherman multitool: An specialized tool beats it every minute, but it probably is what you have with you, in your pocket, EDC or backpack. 

• Like 1