Evernote extension causes Chrome hang up on Windows 10

Hi there,

I've reported the problem on a few forums, including the following

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/765703/chrome-hangs-up/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/282138-chrome-hangs-up-at-startup/

The problem actually appeared first time when I was clipping something from Chrome to Evernote on my Windows 10 station. My first thought was that the problem was due to Chrome itself because I couldn't re-launch it after that. But when I finally re-launched Chrome (by using  --disable-extensions startup parameters) I did restore settings in Chrome with clean setup, I later discovered that the problem of Chrome freeze re-appears as soon as I sign in to my Evernote account.  This is very suprising behaviour. I ain't sure what could have possibly trigerred such problem to arise. But the bottom point is that at this moment I am unable to use Evernote extensions in Chrome.

I run the latest version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit) of Chrome on my Windows 10 21H2 (build 19044.1415) station along with desktop Evernote Legacy version 6.25.2.9198 (309198) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

Any ideas what could have caused the problem and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.   

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Any ideas what could have caused the problem and how to resolve it?

Recent updates to Chrome seem to have broken something - best action would be to report this to Support and get them to help.  Meantime subscribers have access to an Evernote account email address to forward pages direct,  and copy/ paste or third party copy apps will get content into a note.  You also have the option to 'print' to a PDF file for email or later import to Evernote.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Someone else was reporting issues connecting with the Support mail - looks like it may be more than just an individual glitch.

I've seen somewhere that Support will now be unavailable from tomorrow until the 27th of December,  so nothing much is going to happen quickly,  but at least I can flag this exchange for the Admin staff who may be able to get things fixed up over the next few days. 

Meantime there's a Twitter contact here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

I am lucky to have the records of the version control history for my extensions since I started collecting such data not so long ago.

Attached is the screenshot that indicates that Evernote Web Clipper is in the list of short-listed extensions that have been subject to recent changes. 

Since I have the rest of the list activated at this moment and this causes no trouble, I am certain to say that the problem is due to Evernote Webclipper.   

222.jpg

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

I'd certainly appreciate if someone from this forum could report the problem via Twitter

Hi again.  I'm not having a problem with Chrome despite having the same version of Clipper,  but as I mentioned above I have flagged this thread already for an admin to take a look at when they're available.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this issue yesterday, and it was like a Catch-22: I couldn't start Chrome with the Evernote extension, and I couldn't disable the extension without starting Chrome.

In the theory you can start Chrome without any extensions with command line switches:

chrome.exe --disable-extensions

but in this case you can't delete or disable them.

I figured out my proper (temporally) solution, searching for the word "evernote" on the hard disk I found a folder with the nice name "pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc " in the path:

"c:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions" 

(on Windows 10, and in case of various Chrome profiles in use)

Deleting this folder helped me to use my Chrome again. 

Surprise on the next day: Chrome automatically repaired the extension, and started frozen again in the morning. 🤣

So I deleted the folder again, and after starting Chrome, I also uninstalled the extension also from the options menu. (And sent a message to the Chrome developers team.)

Waiting for the next update of the extension, which I really like if it works.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming the issue. Because I was beginning to wonder if I am the only person who's got it on my machine. The issue is rather tricky, I suppose, because not many would be able to figure out who's eaten the whole cake to ruin the whole party. The Xmas egg we had to unwrap seems a bit of irony.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Thanks for confirming the issue. Because I was beginning to wonder if I am the only person who's got it on my machine. The issue is rather tricky, I suppose, because not many would be able to figure out who's eaten the whole cake to ruin the whole party. The Xmas egg we had to unwrap seems a bit of irony.

Getting Irony for Christmas seems even worse than getting coal!

On 12/24/2021 at 5:07 AM, gazumped said:

I have flagged this thread already for an admin to take a look at when they're available.

The holidays are over, and yet it seems the admin is in no rush to chase the issue 🙂 Rolling the version back doesn't seem to be the option either. 

I hope to catch up l8r when the admin starts hitting the right keys again. 'Coz I miss the way Evernote extension used to work very much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

Since this is a Legacy plus web clipper issue, you will know that there is no hope of a fix on the app side. There seem to be a number of web clipper issues in the version released early in December. I think you'll need to be patient whilst we wait for the update to be released.

• Like 1

I've noticeved the Evernote Webclipper extension has been finally updated from version 7.18.0 to 7.19.0. Has anybody tried it yet? I am sorta hesitant to become the first laboratory rat after everything I've been through because of it 😅 Does it re-format the HD now?

26 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Seems to be working just fine. No idea why it would reformat

That certainly sounds very promising. Just to confirm the obvious, did you actually have the same problem with version 7.18 as described in the above thread? or are you simply looking for laboratory rats to find out how well the newer version works? 🙂 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

That certainly sounds very promising. Just to confirm the obvious, did you actually have the same problem with version 7.18 as described in the above thread? or are you simply looking for laboratory rats to find out how well the newer version works? 🙂 

If its any reassurance,  I've apparently updated invisibly to 7.19 without any obvious issues - except this one works as expected...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Yes. And why would you be unnecessary in your response. Like you, I'm a user. I answered your question to say 7.19 was working fine. Please don't be quite so unpleasant.