Sync Button Widget - Feature Request

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I've tried my hardest to get familiar with Evernote sync in the last year - I started out on Evernote in 2014 or so.  Despite reading umpteen articles and support notes I continue to fail miserably.

I frequently switch between Windows, IOS and Android Evernote and can't find an approach that ensures I know what my sync status is.

Is there any possibility of introducing sync as a button / widget in the various platforms which can be inserted onto the home screen?  That seems to me to be a way that luddites like myself can have access to a method which we are confident in, and folks who don't have sync challenges can simply choose to not add it.

I simply adore Evernote, getting a sync button option would make it perfect 🙂

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Mobile: „Sync now“ option is in settings 

Desktop: Hold down the opt/alt key before clicking on the help menu of the Mac desktop client. You see a new option „Troubleshooting“. In the submenu behind it, the first menu item is „Reload“, the second „Force reload“. You can use the keyboard shortcut as well. On Windows you have to see if it works with opt/alt as well.

On both clients there is no need for a button, they usually work very well in syncing while you edit. On desktop there is a grey text bottom right of the EN window, usually telling all changes have been synced.

You can observe it while you edit and see it change from time to time when it is syncing. Should be comforting to see if you don’t trust that it simply does the job.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

On Windows you have to see if it works with opt/alt as well.

On Windows I have to hold Ctrl and tap on the Help menu to see the troubleshooting options. Ctrl+R for Reload and Ctr+Shift+R to Force Reload

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions.

The "Force Reload" option with CTRL+Shift+R seems to be a perfect Windows solution for me.

I was aware of the sync option in the mobile clients, though it does seem a little long winded to reach - Burger | Cog | Sync | Sync now. It's hardly a big deal, but I think it'd be nicer to have it a little higher up.

Regardless, I look forward to a future of seeing less of "We found more than one version of ZZZ" 🙂

Thanks again, David

There are two problems with mobile sync. One, it doesn't happen often consistently. I do most changes on desktop and I have checked mobile a few minutes later and they are there. But more often, I look at it days later and they are not. 

They sync button needs to be on the main screen, or at the very least on the main menu. Right now, on Android, I have to click the menu bottom left, then click the gear icon, then click Sync, and then for no particular reason, I have to click the only sub-option Sync now. 

If there were other options it would make more sense. Maybe 
Sync Now
Sync Eventually
Sync Whenever You Can Get Around To It

Or my preference, Sync Last Week When I Changed the Data

• Like 1
On 12/19/2021 at 12:42 AM, dbvirago said:

There are two problems with mobile sync. One, it doesn't happen often consistently. I do most changes on desktop and I have checked mobile a few minutes later and they are there. But more often, I look at it days later and they are not. 

They sync button needs to be on the main screen, or at the very least on the main menu. Right now, on Android, I have to click the menu bottom left, then click the gear icon, then click Sync, and then for no particular reason, I have to click the only sub-option Sync now. 

If there were other options it would make more sense. Maybe 
Sync Now
Sync Eventually
Sync Whenever You Can Get Around To It

Or my preference, Sync Last Week When I Changed the Data

Have you tried swiping the note list top-down (the standard sync gesture in Android) ?

• Level 5

It is the same on iOS, in practically all apps. If it forces a full sync I don’t know. It is meant for refreshing what the app shows.

Personally I prefer the sync now option in the apps settings, tab sync if I want to make sure it has done a full sync. Which I don’t do often, since syncing works seamless for me.

But let us say I will go mobile from a WiFi coverage, and have a lot of new stuff added. Then I may use it to make sure the bulk of data is transferred by WiFi.