Evernote Teams - equivalent to Personal or Professional?

Hi,

I would like to know if the Evernote Teams offers all the functions of the full featured Professional plan, or is equivalent to the intermediate Personal plan?

My question refers to the Evernote 10 for Windows.

Thank you,

Milene

• Level 5*

Hi.  Unless you run a company with several employees you're better off with Personal or Professional.  Teams is aimed at groups with a central database app and separate,  individual apps for all staff.  It has much higher limits - because it services multiple users - but there's also a degree of administration in allowing user access at different levels. https://evernote.com/teams

• Level 5

Teams has the same features as Professional - plus some more.

The idea behind Teams is to create a collaborative bubble for content. Everything is organized as we know it from the individual accounts. But access is set up through „spaces“, which define what a user can see and change. The admin defines that notebooks A,B and C all belong to space M. Then it is defined that users R,S, and T have access to space M. If now D is added to M, and B removed, this automatically is changing the access for all users of this space. In a setup, there are several spaces, and a number of users. Probably everybody has access to a general space for information (like company policies, or the weekly menu), but others like a space for HR or C-Level management will be pretty locked up.

This has implications: It makes only sense to start a Teams account if it has at least 3 members. One being the admin, who controls the setup, and what the others can see. This means there must be a permanent or at least a semi-permanent organization in need of an information hub like teams.

The use case for Professional is different: A Professional account can be used for example to set up and run a fluid project group, where one project leader coordinates the efforts of team members. But here Team members join and leave, things are flowing. Professional allows for shared notebooks (as other plans do as well), and it allows to assign and control tasks to others.

For a Freelancer, Professional is the better choice. For a company, a NGO, a school or something like this it is a Teams account.

Hi @DTLow @gazumped and @PinkElephant,

Thank your for the explanation.

My husband and I run a small family office. It's just the two of us. We currently subscribe to two separate Professional accounts (running EN 10 for windows + android).

We work together, but each is responsible for completely separate activities, we don't need to share information with each other, and I wouldn't like to act as "admin" of his notes.
The point is that we have both personal and professional information in our accounts. The databases are quite big, each of us has +30k notes and I thought that with Teams it would be easier to separate these two kinds of information for each user.

But Spaces doesn't seem to segment two workspaces, like if I could separate at root level something like "personal" and "work", and easily switch between the two, it would be more targeted for information access authorization levels, I mean, all personal and work notes would still be all together in the same tree structure just like in a Pro database, am I right? Spaces would be a kind of virtual organizer only, that's it?

There's also the issue of the subscription plan price: two Teams users cost less than two individual Pro users (that would be nice!).
Well, thank you again for your attention.

Milene

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The idea behind Teams is to collect only (!) professional content with mutual access. For personal use, every Teams member gets an individual Personal account. It is not linked into the Teams administration, and it is indeed a completely separate entity.

About pricing: 2x Professional (8,99/month) is cheaper than Teams (13,99/month) for 2 - the price for Teams is per user ! And as I said, it makes no sense to use Teams with only 2 users .

For your setup it would probably make sense to create shared notebooks. Even if you don’t share a lot of stuff, it is a convenient way to move content from one account to another. Everything dropped in that notebook can be used by everyone, the rest stays where it is.

The private stuff could go into an additional Free account, or stay in the Professional account, for example in a stack called Personal, holding these notebooks.

• Level 5*

Actually I'd suggest that you both might use two accounts - one subscription,  and one free. You can switch between two accounts quite easily from the paid account,  and one would be for business,  the other personal use.  Share one notebook between the two to make it easy to move or copy notes when you need to,  but for the most part just use the paid account from whichever location is 'busier' in terms of data and editing,  and the free account from the other.  Your data would be separate,  but easily accessible.  You could share another notebook between yourselves.

It might take a little getting used to,  and you both need two email addresses;  but it would answer both your needs in the short term.

@PinkElephant and @gazumped , thanks for helping me out!

Although we have more professional notes than personal ones (ca. 70/30), I think we'll move the professional notebooks to a free account. We usually access Evernote on the desktop computer at the office and the information is quite structured and easy to navigate.

A Pro account, with multi-device sync and more search capabilities would me more helpful to our personal, more chaotic context.

Thanks again, the Teams subscription wouldn't solve the problem.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Just be aware the limits on the Free account. A single note is just 25MB max size (200MB on subscriptions), and you can only upload 60MB/month (20GB on Professional). Each time you change a note, it will upload, consuming a chunk of the limit. Plus the device limit - 2 devices on Free, and EN enforces it, by not allowing to log in on a 3rd device.

It is possible to run an amazing lot of stuff on Free, but the moment you have "heavy" content, like photos, audio, video or the like, it will stress the Free accounts limits very fast. Maybe give it a try for a couple of days, and see if you can live using it.