Never, Ever, Forget

Working on a project and realized there were a bunch of old Notes that were no longer relevant. Forgot I was v10 and did a shift-click to grab 19 notes, then hit delete. WAIT! I didn't mean to do that. After years with Legacy, I still can't get used to the fact that what took one second now takes minutes. So, instead of working on my project, I went and had lunch.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Working on a project and realized there were a bunch of old Notes that were no longer relevant. Forgot I was v10 and did a shift-click to grab 19 notes, then hit delete. WAIT! I didn't mean to do that. After years with Legacy, I still can't get used to the fact that what took one second now takes minutes. So, instead of working on my project, I went and had lunch.

Yeah, on my system deleting 19 notes takes 22 seconds, terrible slow indeed, but luckily not minutes...

Edit: last week I've  wiped my local database and reloaded it completely from the server. May be this has speed up the things a little bit?

4 hours ago, eric99 said:

Yeah, on my system deleting 19 notes takes 22 seconds, terrible slow indeed, but luckily not minutes...

Edit: last week I've  wiped my local database and reloaded it completely from the server. May be this has speed up the things a little bit?

That would be slow, but acceptable. I've reloaded so many times in the year+ since v10 came out, I've grown weary of the process. I have an icon for Legacy on my desktop, I just need to remember to use it for operations like this. 

• Evernote Expert

Yes, processing multiple files remains the frustratingly slow process. It is the reason for the default limit of 50 notes to be selected. A result of each change needing to be synchronised with the server one at a time. In Legacy it was all saved locally and the sync took place in the background later. I, too, keep Legacy for a couple's of tasks. Printing (I have just one note that needs to be printed once or twice a year and Legacy still does a good job) and bulk note processing (I'll process two or three notes in v10 but more than five and I switch to Legacy).

For everything else I've more or less switched to v10.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

This why legacy is part of the transition process. It is often not seen as such, but given how the rollout strategy for v10 was build, the coexistence with legacy was crucial. 

We gave the advise to install legacy very often here in the forum initially. But from my observation this is not the case any longer, since v10 gained more and more features.

Bulk processing and precise print control are my residual jobs as well.

• Level 5*
On 11/8/2021 at 12:31 AM, PinkElephant said:

Bulk processing and precise print control are my residual jobs as well.

For me, Evernote Legacy is also required for Scripting; Applescript on a Mac

• Like 1

For some reason, performance on my system is much better than 1 month ago when a delete of 50 notes took 4 minutes.

I did the following test again:

- create 50 notes, to clean internal caching, I restart EN completly.

- Select the 50 notes and apply the following operations (repeated a few times):

adding a tag : 29 seconds

moving to other notebook: 70 seconds

delete: 57 seconds

So, still terribly slow, but much faster than 1 month ago. So, I try to find the reason for this 'improvement:

as I already mentioned, I reloaded my database, but what I also did was cleaning  my SSD. I have now 30 GB free (before 4 GB)

My database contains 3500 notes

EN runs on a  gaming laptop with 16 GB ram, 4 core I7 (8  by hyperthreading)

Network speed: 200 Mb/s

• Evernote Expert

That sounds almost useable in terms of time. Still slow but I might just manage to bear with this especially since I've never worked on a multiple of 50 notes other than to test things.

It could be many things that might have caused this slight improvement... More disk space would be my first guess at the user side.  What we don't know is what is being tweaked at the server side. You might also have had a software update in that month too...

Anyway, I'll keep Legacy for these tasks for now knowing that the devs are working on performance stuff too.