All files downloaded open in EN

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Attempting to save excel spreadsheet sent to me to desktop to edit. I saved the email to EN. Every attempt to open the spreadsheet on desktop opens a new note in default notebook. Not sure what I have done to create the issue. Have submitted a support ticket just wondering if it is quick fix. Windows 10 latest version.

• Level 5*
  • Solution
3 hours ago, rmw said:

Attempting to save excel spreadsheet sent to me to desktop to edit. I saved the email to EN. Every attempt to open the spreadsheet on desktop opens a new note in default notebook. Not sure what I have done to create the issue. Have submitted a support ticket just wondering if it is quick fix. Windows 10 latest version.

Hi.  Device / OS / Evernote version ???  As a general comment,  Emails may encode attachments so that if you simply added a natively coded email to your database,  the attachment may no longer be in the correct format for that application.  You could try saving the attachment to your device desktop to see what sort of file you get.  If you still have access to the original email,  try saving the attachment from your mail software and then add that file to your note.

• Level 5

Just a few questions to help encircle the issue :

Do the spreadsheet work when opened from the email app ?

Does the spreadsheet work when saved from the email to disk ?

After sending the email into EN, I assume it created a new note. Does the size of that note correspond with the expected size - which is the attachments size plus a little for the email itself ?

What happens if you save the attachment to disk from the email converted into a note ? Does it regularity work ?

The issue is that once I import to EN every time I open from shortcut on desktop it creates new note in EN. Solved the issue by right clicking on the desktop icon and selecting open with Excel

• Level 5*

Yeah - 

4 hours ago, rmw said:

once I import to EN

How do you import,  and where from? Is Evernote open?  Do you see a file attachment to a note?

4 hours ago, rmw said:

every time I open from shortcut on desktop

How are we on your desktop now? Isn't the file still  attached to a note?

4 hours ago, rmw said:

Solved the issue by right clicking on the desktop icon and selecting open with Excel

So you're actually looking at a file on your desktop - does it have an XLSX file type?

• Evernote Expert

Sounds like a left over from the temporary bug that arrived with v10.23, Reset your file link and it should all be good again.  Right click, open with, choose another app (regardless of Excel being in the list), select Excel, check the always open box and then click the Open button. That should fix it thereafter.

• Like 1