The Evernote App is Killing the battery in my new Mac Book Pro M1?

Anyone else seeing significant energy usage from the Evernote App?

I had a lengthy support call with Apple trying to understand why my battery is dying so quickly and all answers point to the Evernote for OSX Desktop App!

As there are no alternatives to Evernote (Checked Many times!) and I have just restarted my subscription, this is just another bloody workaround I have to deal with (like the inability to remove the helper on the title bar that no-one uses!) so now I am forced to use Evernote in the Browser to see if this fixes my battery woes!

Anyone else seeing about 20% of all battery usage through Activity Monitor?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have not heard about relative to the M1 but certainly seeing similar issue with Intel CPU with macOS version of V10 EN app.  I remain hopeful that the EN team will concentrate on being a good laptop program soon.  I have heard it a challenge being based on an Electron App but EN is by far worse at energy consumption than VSCode and other apps based on the framework.   EN remains very valuable to me so I continue to hope this will be addressed.  There are other threads that raise the same issue (although not on the M1).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Dave Green said:

I remain hopeful that the EN team will concentrate on being a good laptop program soon.

It would be helpful - even if only in making clear to the team how many users are  affected,  so they can prioritise appropriately - if everyone with these symptoms reported the issue to Support.  If necessary they'll be able to get access to real-world logs demonstrating the situation which will bring them closer to a solution.

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client). 

• Level 5

It is a good laptop program - maybe a little less so if running on an M1 (which is only a tiny fraction of all laptops running).

It is pretty simple to see the reason: The EN app running inside of a framework (which is practically a Chrome browser, known for devouring resources), and all this then running on a not optimized code base, created by a Rosetta translation of the original Intel-Code.

Little wonder it is not doing what a native program would do.

To change the situation, AFAIK the underlying framework must be upgraded, for all users. I think EN will do this anyhow, but it needs to be properly implemented and tested. IMHO rushing something like this is never a good idea. Again, this framework upgrade is not a goodie for M1 users, this is relevant for all users of the v10 desktop app. I am pretty sure we will see more Mx-Macs presented before an adapted EN release will be available.

I'm on an Intel Macbook Pro running Monterey 12 beta.

Evernote is left running continuously, and after a period of days, I will sometimes see high CPU usage of "Evernote Helper (Renderer)
" processes. There is usually more than one running.

A restart of Evernote fixes this.

I'm on mains power mostly, but if on battery, it would obviously suck some juice.

10.22.3-mac-ddl-public (2958)
Editor: v132.1.16932
Service: v1.40.3
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

I can't reproduce this (MacBook Pro 15" / i7, Monterey 12.1). The activity monitor shows EN in the 0.x-range when idling, and it hardly goes above 10 in energy consumption even when I use it normally. Only when I run a procedure like adding tags on a selection of multiple notes, energy use goes above 20.

This is way below (for example) Zoom. Even the activity monitor itself is usually at about 5, and sometimes goes above 10.

• Level 5

You were talking energy consumption above. Your screenshots show CPU - the energy tab is 2 steps to the  right. Sure it correlates, but don’t mix numbers from 2 different statistics.

Then you must be aware that the Activity monitor shows CPU usage per core. How much it uses in total depends on the number of cores your CPU has.

• 1 year later...

Same problem in M2

I have my MacBook Air M2 and the Evernote app damaged my battery!!!

image.png.59dfe2f8c28b42814719eb82552751fa.png

In a month of usage it damaged 4% of the battery life!!

and when I checked why my battery drained so fast, Evernote was the culprit !!!

• Level 5

Contact support.

In general the battery is undergoing wear & tear, but a normal usage will not damage it. To degrade it rapidly usually the user contributes by letting it drop too far before putting it on charger again. Everything below 20% (other sources even say 30%) is said to shorten the expected life span.

It is not the use that is putting a strain, it is the depletion that stresses the battery.

Venture 13.2 and the latest Evernote. CPU constantly 140%+ on M1 pro. When opened and no actions are performed. That drain battery too much. I have to close evernote.

Is any solution on that except the uninstall?

My laptop is just 2 months old, I give it normal use because I have other 2 PC's , and after installing Evernote desktop, I noticed the battery draining issue...

(also this issue seems to be present in the windows version as well, as my dell laptop also shows high cpu usage when Evernote desktop is running)

So I don't think that the battery damage is caused by used or bad charging habits ( I also have enabled smart charge)

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, aperigub said:

Would you mind linking the solution instead of condescending? Might be more helpful to the community, just some food for thought, friend.

Hi.  There are at least four separate threads containing various solutions which can be found by typing the letters "battery" in the search box at the top of the Forum pages.  For information,  the forums are mostly supported by other users and we do not normally offer a "can we search for that for you?" service.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

2 replies so far and no links.

? Wrong (again) - I gave more help in my post 2-3 days ago than you just did,  without hijacking the thread to call people names (again).  I'm not angry,  just keen to be able to help someone who's willing to listen rather than just gripe.

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5

It is in general never a bad idea to keep notes smaller - makes handling easier as well.

Instead of a continuous daily log for years and years in a single note, split it up into years or better months. It allows for some nice structuring as well, and it is easier to find a short note than a certain text inside of a longish note.

On the other hand, I don't experience any correlation between note size and energy consumption. There is (not surprisingly) a correlation between actions (like adding an attachment) and energy consumption / CPU usage. But it peaks briefly, and then falls back nicely.

A continuously high level of consumption can only be caused by a chunk of code being executed again and again (acas a loop). This is never a regular code execution and must be treated, if necessary by replacing the whole local install by a fresh download.

• 3 weeks later...