Strange error messages and can't update my payment because I'm in payment failure

Two days ago my Evernote premium or business or whatever they're calling it this month failed to renew because there was no money in my bank account.  Today after getting paid I logged into fix it.

First of all it told me I was blocked from logging in because it didn't like my log in, and I had to contact some department to be found on the next page that wasn't there, nor was any way to contact anybody on the next page.  Then it logged me in, and I've logged in several times since.

????!!!!!!!

THEN, I went to straighten out my account.  No money in my account when it renews, it isn't like I can voluntarily pay when I have the money, is a frequent thing, I just reupgrade to premium or business or whatever they're calling it this month.

I successfully "updated" my payment information, and I have now successfully updated my payment information four times.

But then it tells me I am not eligible to upgrade because my account is in payment failure status.

What the ----??!!!!!!   

How exactly am I supposed to fix my payment failure status other than by fixing it.

It said if I need help, which they really don't provide a way I don't, to contact support, so I did, and back came a message telling me that if I want my ticket actually processed, I need to reply with an activity log.

What activity log would there possibly be.  I did all of this in Chrome web browser!

Did Evernote just contract out its entire operation to some outfit in India?  

What is the matter with these people?  Is there a way to get them to fix my account while there is still money in it, or do I need to just go to the Better Business Bureau to get them to even pay attention?!!!!   Because I'm just on the point of doing that.   If Evernote wanted to actually fix it they'd have provided a phone number.  

Thanks!

Yours,

Dora Smith

I just got a very fast reply from customer service.  They are under the impression that my bank disputed the charge.  My bank didn't ask me if it was a genuine charge, which they would have, and the notice I got from Evernote was that the payment didn't go through, which it shouldn't have since there was no money in my account at the time.  I wonder if someone at Evernote somehow misunderstood.   I replied, and we'll see if that fixes it.

Yours,

Dora Smith

• Evernote Expert

All sorry it's via the online ticket system or, for paying users, online chat during working hours. You seem to have connected quickly and I would expect a courteous resolution. Given that your renewal failed because you were unable to pay your initial rant seems a little unnecessary. Give it time to be fixed. If it will make you feel better go to the Better Business Bureau. It will make no difference to the outcome which will probably be sorted before the Bureau even takes a look at the case.

• Level 5*

I'd second @agsteele - Evernote have just vast numbers of users that they probably handle tens of thousands of payments (successful and not) per day: which is why there's no 'phone contact.  Failed payments will be retried,  but not necessarily immediately - so it was probably enough to fix the payment method if you were prepared to wait for at least 24 hours to be reconnected.  As (even temporarily) a 'Free' user,  you were restricted in the number of devices you can use to access the service,  hence (probably) the difficulty connecting.  It's unfortunate,  but them's the rules.

(I had a similar experience myself recently with another provider - kept on seeing "there's a problem with your account!" messages online. I was logged in,  but couldn't access many features.  Sent a blunt request that they fix their issues...  and then got an email about a missed payment.  Fixed the payment and life returned to normal by the next day.  Still haven't heard from their support team though.)

• 4 months later...

So why isn't there a method to pay on demand? I should be able to click a button to pay now.

Many payment providers protect fraud protection methods where for example I'll need to click a button in an app on my phone to approve the payment. I have a card for internet payments where I can only increase the payment limit for a pre-defined time, otherwise, it's under 1$ and if they don't try at the right time, payment will fail again. I should be able to click a button to "pay now".

• Level 5*
On 2/26/2022 at 7:15 AM, atmcmxcviii said:

So why isn't there a method to pay on demand? I should be able to click a button to pay now.

Hi.  Evernote is a subscription product.  If you want to subscribe you provide your card details and a monthly or a yearly payment is taken "on demand".  It's up to you to ensure you have funds available to pay.  Your bank should be able to set up a regular transfer into your card account a day ahead of the due date if you don't want the hassle of making a manual check;  or if you had access to an app that would remember the date and remind you...  oh wait...

• Evernote Expert
On 2/26/2022 at 7:15 AM, atmcmxcviii said:

Sign up for a free account. Then go the account settings and choose to upgrade to whatever payment plan you desire. Because you already have a log-in the payment is pretty much immediate. Even more speedy is to pay Google Play or the Apple iStore.

• Level 5

I second the use of the iTunes Store for subscriptions, if possible.

First it means you can cancel any subscription in the first 14 days, even those that usually will not allow for it. By the AppStore it is a few clicks, and done.

Second you get a notification 4 weeks before a subscription expires, every time. You can then check if you want to renew, or cancel.

Third you have an overview in your account about all running subscriptions, and know how much money you spend on which gadget. Often I find a small subscription that I made thinking it was a one time purchase, but in fact it will renew. I think it is important to know where the money goes - even the smaller coins. The iTunes subscriptions help to keep it in check.

No experience with the PlayStore, but probably similar.

• Evernote Expert
6 minutes ago, villandra said:

I posted this six months ago.  Thank you for your wonderful attention to customer service!

Yours,

Dora Smith (villandra)

We were responding to @atmcmxcviii. You did get replies to your original posts on the same day. Sorry you didn't find those helpful. But in any case, these forums are user-to-user. You are not a customer of any of us. If you want customer service then raise a customer support ticket.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, I have an Evernote Personal (Yearly) subscription that renews automatically through Apple. I received a receipt from Apple on March 28 re the automatic renewal. However, when I log into Evernote, I get prompted to "upgrade" in order to continue using multiple devices. It seems that the subscription renewal has not registered with Evernote and I'm locked out of my account.  Do you know how I can resolve this? Thanks for your help, Karen

Screenshot 2022-04-01 102211.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Karen J said:

Do you know how I can resolve this?

Check with Apple to make sure there was no problem with your payment method.  Make sure you're using the correct user details to log in - you may have created a new 'free' account by mistake...