Saved web pages scrunched into narrow column

Sometime ago I saved some webpages into Evernote. Now those same webpages are scrunched into a narrow column. I can scroll sideways and see the entire page, but I can’t see the full width of the page without scrolling sideways. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

IMG_0806.png

As I mentioned in another post as well: But I also made a discovery: if you click that narrow column at the top, a menu appears at the bottom with amongst others, an icon of a magic wand. If you click that, it’ll ‘simplify formatting’ - and your page might be readable!

Another user suggested using the shortcut from iOS, and that works just like the ‘old’ simplified web page from Web Clipper

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The magic wand is as well used if you want to edit a web clip. The only downside: The original clip is converted, and it can't be restored.

Why would that be a problem?

• Level 5

Some users have a problem with it because it changes the original web site view to something similar to what you see when opening it in reader mode.

The content is roughly the same, but it looks very "factual" after simplification.

There are threads in the forum discussing this, users claiming that they want to edit the original site, not the simplified version.

• 3 weeks later...

I just re-opened my previous support ticket and „reminded“ them the problem is still not resolved - I‘m not able to read HTML frame based content on iOS devices, e. g. forwarded emails, web clipped notes, … since many weeks 😞😡

• Like 3
On 11/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, stocky2605 said:

I just re-opened my previous support ticket and „reminded“ them the problem is still not resolved - I‘m not able to read HTML frame based content on iOS devices, e. g. forwarded emails, web clipped notes, … since many weeks 😞😡

I'm late, I got feedback quickly - thank you Support Team - they're working on it, it's known, hopefully fixed in next release.

Will see...

• Thanks 2

And another update ... and again no fix. Anyone in for a bet that they will never fix it? I am pretty sure they consider the iOS version, well, an iOS version and not an iPadOS version. So as long as everything works fine on an iPhone, they will never ever even consider changing or fixing anything. I doubt they even have an iPad to test the app at Evernote.

• Level 5

Since it does not cause „real“ trouble, I doubt this is in the top categories of the backlog.

The narrow clip has practically the width of a standard mobile phone screen. I think they simply reduce the width to that setting to make it show on small screens as well. It just not seems to be reactive, as modern websites usually are.

So it is a little more wait & see …

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Since it does not cause „real“ trouble, I doubt this is in the top categories of the backlog.

I couldn't disagree more. I think it is a critical bug that should have got the highest possible priority for fixing. For me Evernote is basically an archive of mails and web sites. For many weeks now it has not been really usable for this purpose. In fact I already canceled my paid subscription after more than 10 years(!) because of this bug and what it represents: No interest at all in providing a proper version of Evernote for the iPad. Well, my main computer is an iPad Pro, so I need Evernote working on this device.

image0.PNG

• Level 5

Critical: App crashes and takes the computer down (external problems)🤔 Nope

Severe: App is unusable, data gets corrupted (internal problems)🤔 Nope

Normal: May prevent some use cases, cause complex workarounds 🤔 I would say: Maybe, depending on the actual use cases needed - but only for these users.

Light: May influence some regular use cases, cause workarounds 🤔 To me it looks like one of these.

But since you couldn’t disagree more, I don’t think you will agree now.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Severe: App is unusable, data gets corrupted (internal problems)🤔 Nope

According to the definition it is then severe. The app is unusable for me. I can't read the mails and web sites I had stored in it. As this is the whole point of it, the app is unusable.

If every web site and mail ever stored would look like this (see screenshot above) in the Windows or Mac version, do you think they wouldn't fix it over months?

• Level 5

The only war cry I hear is „I, I, I“. Oh, it is inconvenient for me, so it must be severe.

We do not disagree it is a bug. We just disagree on how severe this problem really is.

Check of facts:

• No data is lost.
  • There is a workaround, tap on the web clip, tap on the magic wand, the clip is simplified, done. This is a simple workaround. Works for everybody who is interested in the content, not the HTML code that is removed.
  • If you need to preserve the original post until a fix is released, you need to duplicate the note before simplifying it. This may be seen as a complex workaround, taking a whoooooping chain of 2 simple actions to perform.

And that is all that is about it.

But anyhow, you are leaving. Good - you will probably live a much less stressful live after. I am sure about it ….

I’ve been hoping for a fix for this but listening to your attitude I’m guessing it will be a long time coming. I have really liked using Evernote in the past but find that now I try to find a different way to store my web links and emails. I had used the forward to Evernote email to store my purchase histories and they are particularly frustrating to view. 

6 hours ago, gewappnet said:

And another update ... and again no fix. Anyone in for a bet that they will never fix it? I am pretty sure they consider the iOS version, well, an iOS version and not an iPadOS version. So as long as everything works fine on an iPhone, they will never ever even consider changing or fixing anything. I doubt they even have an iPad to test the app at Evernote.

the problem exists on my iPhone 12 Pro, too - sure, the iPhone is more narrow than my iPad, but even there it's boring to scroll horizontally line by line to read the famos last two words of every line...

Boring, broke my productivity on iOS again.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The only war cry I hear is „I, I, I“. Oh, it is inconvenient for me, so it must be severe.

We do not disagree it is a bug. We just disagree on how severe this problem really is.

Check of facts:

• No data is lost.
  • There is a workaround, tap on the web clip, tap on the magic wand, the clip is simplified, done. This is a simple workaround. Works for everybody who is interested in the content, not the HTML code that is removed.
  • If you need to preserve the original post until a fix is released, you need to duplicate the note before simplifying it. This may be seen as a complex workaround, taking a whoooooping chain of 2 simple actions to perform.

And that is all that is about it.

But anyhow, you are leaving. Good - you will probably live a much less stressful live after. I am sure about it ….

Sorry, but I have to disagree - using the magic wand destroys the formatting, as you know, and that's "changing" the content of a note - I don't want to do that on every f**** HTML frame within those notes just to be able to read it.

So, the consensus is, it's a bug 🙂 and it hurts ME a lot.

• Level 5

As I said, if you only need content (sorry, a format for me is not content), use the wand. If you want the site „as clipped“, make a duplicate before simplifying.

But it does not stop you to use the app at all, or damages other things on your computer.

If you need an example as a contrast: EN had a bug in the installer for Windows 10.23. It modified the standard app settings in the Windows system for many file formats to „EN“ instead of Excel, Word and others. The average user needed help to get it fixed, plus fixing this for all possible formats is not easy.

That was IMHO a critical bug, because it broke things on the host computer. After it was reported, EN pulled the 10.23 installer, going back to 10.22 for Windows, and then jumping right to 10.24.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

As I said, if you only need content (sorry, a format for me is not content), use the wand. If you want the site „as clipped“, make a duplicate before simplifying.

So to be able to use my archive of thousands of mails and web sites again I should manually change each and every one of them? This would take me months and in the end all would be marked as changed so the temporal sorting would be messed up forever. Yeah, this sounds like a really great workaround ...

• Level 5

This is why to conserve the original HTML, create a duplicate and only simplify one of both.

If you want to be really on top of it, you could create 2 tags (original, simplified) to mark the one and the other.

It still is a bug, and I hope they get it sorted out. When they do, I think the original content will be reverted to what it should look like.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem too. If it makes the app less usable, or requiring extra labor from users to be usable, then it is not meeting the needs of the users. Isn't that the goal of the product? And to say "there is nothing broken, it's just less readable" is kinda "the operation was a success but the patient died" type reasoning. If the point of pages is to be read, then having them be partially unreadable means they are practically broken

Anyway. I primarily use Evernote to access things that I want to read when I open them. I imagine this is true for a lot of users. I have gotten new devices and was planning to upgrade to paid membership (again? I think I had it once before), to use it across them but now I can't use it the way I want to without going through and manually correcting everything to make it readable. That is a pity.

• Level 5

It is a known bug, up to now not corrected by EN.

The workaround is to „simplify“ the WebClip - which will convert the complex HTML structure into a simple reading piece of text. If you want to keep the original for when this will be fixed, duplicate the note before simplifying it. 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:50 AM, gewappnet said:

And another update ... and again no fix. Anyone in for a bet that they will never fix it?

And another update ... and again no fix. I am still in for a bet. What about: No more fix this year?

I am no longer an Evernote customer and moved on to Apple Notes, but this one still interests me. Will they ever fix the bug? What a thrilling question ...

• Level 5

No thrill at all. It will happen, and that is it. When ? However knows, it really is not one of these bugs that require an immediate or urgent reaction.

But why do you care ? Apple Notes has its own ups and downs. I think you have enough to discuss about this product in the respective forum on the web.

Hey Pink Elephant,

You really need to work on your attitude. It is superior, imperious, smug and offensive. I use a columnated reference source on Evernote on the iPad and I am sick of having to scroll across to read the whole reference. Rather than take such obvious pleasure in taunting customers, how about giving an explanation why Evernote techs can’t fix it? If you are an Evernote tech you should be sacked or banned from the message site. You will drive customers away. As soon as someone develops a viable alternative, and they will, I will be gone.

I am a long time Evernote user and also have this problem when using my ipad.  It is more than annoying.  I have digitized and saved thousands of recipes from my collection onto Evernote.  Previously they were easily viewable across all my devices, not any more.  The narrow column makes recipe reading impossible.  Simplifying the note takes away the typical recipe format.  If this isn’t fixed soon I too will be looking for another app to do what Evernote used to do so well.  When your upgrades make your product less useable and more frustrating you are going the wrong way.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:48 AM, Phineas1111 said:

Hey Pink Elephant,

You really need to work on your attitude. It is superior, imperious, smug and offensive. I use a columnated reference source on Evernote on the iPad and I am sick of having to scroll across to read the whole reference. Rather than take such obvious pleasure in taunting customers, how about giving an explanation why Evernote techs can’t fix it? If you are an Evernote tech you should be sacked or banned from the message site. You will drive customers away. As soon as someone develops a viable alternative, and they will, I will be gone.

While it’s not my choice of wording, I must admit that I found the tone-of-voice rather unpleasant (and unconstructive), so yes, I concur. Although the whole approach strongly reminded me of the ‘logic’ of exes and friends who work in IT.

Whether this bug is critical or not is immaterial - I’ve been following this thread for quite some time because it has caused me to look elsewhere for a product that meets my need. The desktop plug-in, where you can choose the type of clipping, for the most part works fine. It’s the mobile (iOS) counterpart that is buggy. The problem lies in the fact that when the desktop version doesn’t work (as expected), you can immediately remedy the problem. In the mobile version, it’s impossible to quick-scan whether Evernote did a proper job of capturing the content.

Using the wand, as our musthy elephantine friend 😉 suggested, is not an option when formatting is an integral part of the information. I’m sure that works well with simple pages such as daily mail or what have you, but content that contains tables… nope. And it just so happens, that most of the content I clip, contains tables. And illustrative images that are integral to the content 

The only work-around that sometimes works on an iPad Pro is opening Evernote in Slide Over, selecting all the content of the page and dragging it to Evernote. Of course, you’ll lose the URL the clipping came from, click-shift-click doesn’t always work (yet) so you’ll need to drag, which is quite the drag (pun intended) with long articles…

There is also a shortcut “share article to evernote”. That DOES work, but is a hassle to use because of all the permissions it asks for every time.

TL;DR: I’m more than ready for an alternative - one that’s cheaper, preferably & allows for import of my ‘old’ Evernote. Haven’t found the time to look for an alternative.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, PinkElephant said:

Who is offensive is yourself. Just as my feedback to you, from one user to another.

No need to answer, I am not going to read it anyhow. Ignored …

You seem quite young, and I honestly think you should. You might learn a thing or two about how your demeanour comes across to others.

Edited by r06
Spelling mistake
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 10:32 PM, gewappnet said:

With the update of today they finally have fixed it!

I noticed as well - but funnily (oddly) enough: it’s not mentioned in the version history.