Lost an hour's work in the New Evernote because it wasn't Saved/Synced

I started with the new 10.20 Evernote today, and did not realise that my changes to a note I was working on weren't being saved as they were with the legacy version. My Mac crashed (I had no chance to save the work prior to this) but I wasn't worried until I came back that is. I discovered that I the user can't initiate a save or sync, and that the system only saves "several times a day" whatever that might mean, and over which I have no control. Note history could only restore two hours before. Who on earth at Evernote thought this was a step forward!! Really frustrating. Please Evernote gives us some control over savbing back. I was planning to write longer form pieces through Evernote but now I'm deeply hesitant. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Pdamiancarter said:

I was planning to write longer form pieces through Evernote but now I'm deeply hesitant. 

Sympathies with your loss,  and with the reservation: if I'm writing anything requiring in-depth work I use a word-processor with an automatic save set to 5 minutes or so.  Anything that depends - even indirectly - on an internet connection is not ideal for anything over a couple of hundred words. Especially with the invisible sync process that's used now.  

Plus - even with the latest changes - a WP app has far more writing support tools available.  I save the resulting file  in an Evernote note - but I also have the original file for a few days just in case something goes wrong.

• Ex Employees

Thanks for this report. I apologize for this experience. May I get the logs from  your app? Please use these steps to submit them: 

1. Select Help > Activity logs > Save As

2. Title and Save the zip file

3. Send the file to me here in a direct message. 

Thanks. 

Thank you both for your responses. The invisible sync is proving maddening - I live for a manual save option that I can rely on to have caused work to be saved. I saw in the note history that it was anything up to 12 hours after some changes were made that another "restore" was possible, worrying indeed. I see that if I type any new text, the "saving" function kicks in at bottom right of the screen, however it was doing that yesterday and work wasn't saved. I would like to use Evernote for writing, I've been a fan/user for a long time, but agree that a WP on autosave might be the way to go.

I think the best format would be to give the user the option to (1) manually sync or (2) use automatic sync

I have the impression that under the new automatic sync, Evernote became slower.

I miss the older version speed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Think of EN as a browser (not visible) with an extension running inside of it (the EN app).

Can you imagine that a browser works when it needs to ask to sync every time it needs an information from the internet ?

This is why EN is always syncing.

Legacy was running on the local database, and synced this to the cloud version. v10 only uses the local data when completely offline.