Changing the creation date using keyboard

chronistin

Idea

I just noticed that changing the creation date in the new version is only possible by clicking through the months / years. Looking at a note that should have a date in September 1996, this is a terrible amount of clicks. Please make it possible to enter the date via the keyboard again!

• Like 3

7 replies to this idea

14 minutes ago, chronistin said:

I just noticed that changing the creation date in the new version is only possible by clicking through the months / years. Looking at a note that should have a date in September 1996, this is a terrible amount of clicks. Please make it possible to enter the date via the keyboard again!

Absolutely. AND all the other dates you can set like reminders, tasks, filters etc

• Like 2

I bring this up frequently with Evernote.  I use the "create date" to redate statements, tax records etc., sometimes year old things I've scanned.  I use it for historical records, for instance change grandmother's birth certificate to 19c.  It was very easy in what they now call "Evernote Legacy" to use the keyboard, now have to use that dratted calendar.  Sometimes, with the calendar, you can scroll through the years, sometimes scroll doesn't work.  

It doesn't make sense to me to remove features.

• Level 5

If you don’t like it, start to stop using it.

I always warn everybody to use any field under control of the system for storing valuable individual data. If tomorrow a dev decides he needs this field, years of carefully maintained information is lost in a blink.

So don’t ask to restore an easy editing, start to put the information somewhere else.

Personally I add a yearly tag to my notes, with the year of creation of the document. It is usually enough to put some text (like a name or a place) into the search field, apply the year as tag filter and search to get a narrow list of possible hits. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you don’t like it, start to stop using it.

I always warn everybody to use any field under control of the system for storing valuable individual data. If tomorrow a dev decides he needs this field, years of carefully maintained information is lost in a blink.

So don’t ask to restore an easy editing, start to put the information somewhere else.

Personally I add a yearly tag to my notes, with the year of creation of the document. It is usually enough to put some text (like a name or a place) into the search field, apply the year as tag filter and search to get a narrow list of possible hits. 

You know, I often agree with your valuable input in the forums, but in this case, I can't. There is a simple yet important reason to set the create date to the right day: sorting. You can't sort by tag. A tag with the date is therefore completely and utterly useless for browsing the archives. Using Evernote as a document archive, as many people do, I want the create date to be the create date of the document, not the often completely arbitrary date I put the document into Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I completely understand the use case.

It simply is a risk (as pointed out above) to take a field that is clearly used by the system, and modify it. I have seen everything in my use of software, from a field suddenly locked for editing, been overwritten to made invisible.

The only reasonable exit would be if EN created another field, locked up with the "real" note creation date, or adding a field for "document creation", with the user deciding whether to use it or not. But this meddling of system and user interference as it is now is IMHO just a prescription for disaster.

On 8/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, chronistin said:

I know you want to add dates using the keyboard and so do I. However, I did recently discover (I still don't think it is obvious) that clicking the month or year allows you to change them independently. You don't have to press the arrow icon 12 times to advance a year! i expect you'd already figured that out and I'm just being particularly slow.

751424994_ScreenShot09-10-21at09_48AM.PNG.edf8cf4fc2c64cf2e44d2f3e175ed4d0.PNG

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

1.) I change the created day for most of my notes. I believe the Created Date should reflect my opinion on what the correct created date should be. My opinion of what the Created Date is far more important than the date I decided to scan it or screen capture.

2.) And to be 100% sure, I use a structured note header that starts with the date (YYMMDD) , followed by location (State, City), followed by Company, followed by topic, and finally name of person involved.

Example: 2021 09 15 ME Bangor - Lowes - shop for refigerator - JLB & DLB

• Like 1