Web Clipper offline

Title says it all. Been that way for about an hour so far this morning. On Mac, Evernote is the latest version, I just checked. Evernote seems to be working fine, network fine. Mac version. I even went as far as completely uninstalling all Web Clipper files and reinstalling, no change.

• Level 5

Probably there is something blocking the clippers access - can be anything like a popup blocker, a firewall or other security software. 

If you have any, try switch it off one after the other to see what blocks. Then create an exception, like a whitelist entry.

I haven't done anything new. I do have Wior and DuckDuckGo extensions, I turned them off. Now that I uninstalled and reinstalled it, it won't even log on - just dimmed on the toolbar. I checked, no updates of anything on the Mac store for weeks.

This is what I get on Chrome. Even Evernote the Mac App is working fine. Per the suggestions, I have no proxy server, no VPN, and Chrome is working fine on the Internet. Something must be wrong on their end.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 10.12.58 AM.png

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

Something must be wrong on their end.

I don't think so,  otherwise the internet (and the forums) would be awash with complaints.  I'd suggest a retry after switching off (powering down) your system and rebooting,  and if this issue is still there,  contact Support!

I have a VM running Windows 10 on my Mac, and from the Edge browser there I can log in to evernote.com. Now that I have uninstalled and reinstalled Web Clipper on the MacOS, and deleted all the Safari Evernote cookies, I cant log in anywhere on MacOS. Just going to Evernote.com, clicking Login, it hangs forever, then shows this screen. I can't even log into this forum now from Mac/Safari, I had to go to the Windows VM and log in. It seems to narrow down to Mac, and login/authentication is broken. @gazumped are you on Mac? If not you probably don't see it, it seems fine on Windows.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.27.57 PM.png

• Level 5

Well, I am on a Mac, Web clipper on Safari and Firefox, no issues at all. EN Mac client and web client working as well.

Could try in my VM - I am running a Win 10 Pro in a Parallels VM, but usually not with EN.

As I understand your post, you have problems both natively in MacOS and when using a browser inside of the VM ?

• Like 1

This is just really messed up. Maybe it's my account.

1. I added a note to Evernote on my iPad. It does not sync anywhere, I checked online from Windows, and from my iPhone

2. Nothing on my Mac can re log in.

3. I have powered off, logged out, uninstalled...nothing helps.

I have just closed Evernote and uninstalled the Web Clipper, I'll try again in a day or so. 

Check you're not blocking cookies and stuff for EN.

Also try it in a new profile in Chrome.

Could also try in an incognito window.

Working fine here all day.

No cookies blocked.

Tried new profile, private window in Safari, incognito window in Chrome. Here is what Chrome said after I: (1) went to evernote.com (came up instantly) (2) I clicked login (never got to the login page):

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.54.05 PM.png

• Level 5

Personally I doubt that a private window will do any good. Private just means there will no cookies or cached data be saved.

Have you saved your login data in the Macs keychain? Maybe deleting these entries could help (just guessing).

Found it!!!!!! 

I thought - maybe it's my network - so I turned off WiFi and went to cell from my iPad and everything worked. I don't have any custom security, parental controls etc. on the network. So I went back and forth a couple of times and verified it is the WiFi - mine is a Google Nest WiFi (mess) that has worked fine for several months since I got it.

So then I thought....DNS? I went in and checked, the Google Nest Wifi is using Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server. There is an easy check mark to have it use the ISP DNS (in my case, Comcast) - so I clicked to use ISP DNS, renewed lease, and everything is working - Web Clipper, evernote.com, Mac, iPhone, iPad, syncing!

So - 8.8.8.8 has somehow broken access to the Evernote login page? Is there anything I can do to narrow this down further?

EDIT: WiFi has ipV6 configured and working - maybe the primary now is using ipV6 to evernote? Maybe that dns access is now hosed up?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Don0819 said:

So - 8.8.8.8 has somehow broken access to the Evernote login page? Is there anything I can do to narrow this down further?

Just nervously checked my DNS but I'm apparently safe...   Glad to see you resolved it anyway :) - you could report the whole saga (or send a link to this thread) to Support so they can look into it.  Other than reinstating the 8.8.8.8 server to see whether you go offline again,  I can't think of any other tests you could run...

Yeah, I went back and forth about 3-4 times, renewing lease each time, and every time it was on 8.8.8.8 it failed. Or, I don't know if you caught my edit above @gazumped, for some reason I think when ipV6 is enabled and working, that might take priority - yet I don't know if it's the ipV6 DNS server (or is that in reality the same server with just a v4 and v6 network address), or is the problem the protocol to get to the server, that is getting way over my head.

Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting - maybe it was your ISP messing things up:

• If you have an IPv4 as well, it is changing from time to time
  • The ISP may update your routers firmware remotely 
  • IPv6 is important, but from my experience it sometimes messes things up in an IPv4 environment 

Probably the 8.8.8.8 broke nothing, but it may not have delivered the correct DNS resolution either. From my experience 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) is a good alternative.

• Like 1