Is there a way to "merge" notes but leave the individual notes intact?

fenway34
Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
  • Solution
8 minutes ago, fenway34 said:

I want the functionality of merge, but I don't want it to delete / actually merge the notes, I want to have them all in one file and keep them as individual notes. 

After the merge the original notes are deleted, but are "intact"
They can be retrieved from the Trash

• Level 5

A simple solution could be a table of content TOC note. Select the notes you want to link, create app links, create a new note (or use the existing ones) and insert the links.

You get a list of all note titles, you can click on them and be taken to that note.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, fenway34 said:

I want to have them all in one file and keep them as individual notes. 

Hi.  I agree with @PinkElephant - I'd strongly advise against both merging and keeping separate files,  otherwise you either have to apply any edits or updates twice to keep two copies of the same information current.  A Table of Contents is a 'virtual' parent note containing links to the notes you're managing.

2 hours ago, fenway34 said:

I want the functionality of merge, but I don't want it to delete / actually merge the notes, I want to have them all in one file and keep them as individual notes. 

When you merge in V10 there is the option in the merge dialogue box under advanced options to keep the original notes so you don't have to retrieve them from the trash.

image.png.0c80073df1f205447e3afe8ec21b1360.png

My preferred option would be either to create a TOC as has already been suggested or simply to tag the notes with the same tag. Clicking on the tag in sidebar (or filtering by or searching for the tag) would give you an automatic list of the notes you want grouped together.

• Like 4