Search results aren't updating properly with tag updates

I use a lot of tags to control what I'm looking at in Evernote. Ever since switching to the new Evernote, I can't rely on my saved search list showing the proper notes when the tag is added/removed. Sometimes it shows too much and sometimes too little. This happens both on the web version and on Mac (currently v 10.13.4). Reading online a bunch it seems like this is an issue where the database needs reindexed. I've tried to do option->Help->Troubleshooting->Force reload, but that doesn't seem to do much. Anything else I can do to get this working?

The main list I spend my time in every day where I see this issue has this search "tag:1-Now -tag:Complete -tag:Rejected -tag:@Home"

• Level 5*
On 5/17/2021 at 2:38 PM, w00tfest99 said:

I use a lot of tags to control what I'm looking at in Evernote. Ever since switching to the new Evernote, I can't rely on my saved search list showing the proper notes when the tag is added/removed. Sometimes it shows too much and sometimes too little. This happens both on the web version and on Mac (currently v 10.13.4). Reading online a bunch it seems like this is an issue where the database needs reindexed. I've tried to do option->Help->Troubleshooting->Force reload, but that doesn't seem to do much. Anything else I can do to get this working?

The main list I spend my time in every day where I see this issue has this search "tag:1-Now -tag:Complete -tag:Rejected -tag:@Home"

With the new version there is a built in lag as the server indexes get updated with whatever changes were made.  Can be a short time frame or minutes.  YMMV.  Not the best of design decisions in my view, major PITA if you do editing as you do.

• Like 1
On 5/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, CalS said:

With the new version there is a built in lag as the server indexes get updated with whatever changes were made.  Can be a short time frame or minutes.  YMMV.  Not the best of design decisions in my view, major PITA if you do editing as you do.

I could deal with a few minutes, but the issue I'm seeing is that it can be HOURS before it updates.

10 hours ago, w00tfest99 said:

I could deal with a few minutes, but the issue I'm seeing is that it can be HOURS before it updates.

In my experience perhaps once a month there is an indexing problem. We see a spike of complaints on the forums but the problem goes away in a few hours. It often happens at the weekend - I guess they have to give the guy with the hammer some time off ocassionally. There can be long lasting issues of notes that never, or only very slowly, get indexed because they were crerated or updated in that time period. I would try

• looking on EN web and seeing if that gives the same problem
  • adding a dummy tag to force the server to reindex

Generally the process works very quickly. Sometimes it doesn't and EN's processes to recover from this are not yet robust enough.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2021 at 8:38 PM, w00tfest99 said:

I have a similar issue - using Evernote for Get Things Done, with many tags.

Searches are not working in the new App or on the Web.  I've found that they do work properly in legacy (local indexing?).

I've raised a ticket - it's an acknowledged bug and they have no timescale to fix.

• Level 5*

It's like the old TV show Mission Impossible.  The fact that the discussion exists of an indexing lag being somewhat okay is in of and of itself remarkable and other worldly.  😢

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Are you sure the changes have been synced to the EN server ?

The indexing takes place there. From my experience it is very fast, most times some seconds, a few minutes at most.

Yeah, because when I log into the web client, I see the exact same issue. Currently I have 2 notes that I updated yesterday and are still showing up in my search even though they don't match the search criteria.

30 minutes ago, w00tfest99 said:

Yeah, because when I log into the web client, I see the exact same issue. Currently I have 2 notes that I updated yesterday and are still showing up in my search even though they don't match the search criteria.

And you've tried the second thing I suggested?

There is no issue with the Legacy Client - it happily works over two computers and, I believe, relies on a local index.

However - a couple the tag names in my saved searched appeared corrupted or like system generated references when I fired up the Legacy edition, I edited them back to the "correct" spelling/name and all was good.

The tags that were not picked up yesterday, or this morning, now appear to be OK.  Not sure if that was me changing the tag names or if the indexing caught up.  Either way, not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Forever Noted said:

The tags that were not picked up yesterday, or this morning, now appear to be OK.  Not sure if that was me changing the tag names or if the indexing caught up.  Either way, not good enough.

We will never know. the ocr of images, which has always been done on the server used to show some of the same characteristics. Sometimes an image just wouldn't get indexed. The only way to force it to index was by changing the note or image. Now that all indexing is done on the server EN needs to make sure that the blips in service are very rare and there is then a robust process to recover quickly from each blip.