Remove unnecessary photo background from home screen/restore lost space

Sails

Idea

The so-called "background" photo uses up a quarter of my mobile screen in wasted space.  Please remove it or else make it optional.  It should be possible for the whole screen to be used for note-related information, not wasted on irrelevant images.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 replies to this idea

Agree.. what's the purpose ?! 

That whole home screen is just a barrier to content - the opposite to what it was probably intended for.
The whole widget thing feels too gimmicky.. as a user I just wants access to notes... so customisable shortcuts to either Notes or Notebooks is as complicated as it needs to be.

Some real daft UI decisions being made lately.

• Like 1

Agreed!  The irrelevant image wastes valuable screen space and is visually confusing. 

There does seem to be a workaround of sorts: I deleted the various new widgets, then went back to Notebooks in the sidebar and selected my most-used notebook. That is now what I see when I launch the iOS or Mac Evernote app, approximating the pre "upgrade" experience. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Some like it, some don’t. I use an own photo, and it sets the mood for me when I open EN. I have no problem that it takes a few cm from the top of the screen on my iPad Pro 10.5.

About seeing home on open, there are voting threads to set a switch for home or notes view.

Home will gain for me when there is a Tasks widget added. This is announced and will probably be released soon.

I agree with that. It loads eternally but I see no sense in it. It's useless, especially if it has the highest quality available. Gonna take memore from other important apps. So that's why I prefer normal images for screenstore and sometimes cut them to make them look better. Sometimes I also need to work with the background remover because it helps to lower the image size. But it's even better do delete all the image from phone's screenstore and to work with the default image from your device. If you want to look at majestic pictures, it's better to have them on your PC. 

• Level 5

The picture does not take long to load. If you think so, replace it by one of your own, or by an image file with a plain color. What takes time to load (if you are on a slow device or connection, in my case it loads nearly instantaneous) is the dynamic content, displayed in the widgets.

You can remove the picture as well: On the Home screen, click on the "Edit House" top right. You find a toggle there to switch the picture off.

Hint: It may be that this as other home editing options is limited to subscribers.

• Evernote Expert

A quick and dirty test showed that the Home screen pic on my device takes roughly 12.5% of the display. I'd agree that this is significant on mobile devices which usually open on Home.

It isn't an issue on the desktop apps. I'd submit a ticket or feedback through the app settings/support menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1