Just typing word "INTITLE:" takes me 7 hours per year. Add shortcut to quickly add to search field.

Go to solution Solved by aukirk,

INTITLE: is by far the most used search expression in Evernote search.  I rely on search by name of the note beause the note titles include my keyterms. 

So every time I am going to search, I need to type into the search box "intitle:". 

I would probably type it maybe 5,000 times over a period of one year. On the mobile device typing it in correctly without typos, take about 3-5 seconds.

That means potentially I would spend 7 HOURS per year (1 full working 8-hour days per year) just for typing in the word "INTITLE:"

Why didn't Evernote make the search expressions more accessible, instead they consider them secret my guess. By accessible I mean, why not incude a shortcut that would populate the search field with "intitle:" .. or better yet, just add a SWITCH in search box (or at the very very minimum in the Filter tool) of the search. 

The reason I am saying I WOULD spend 7 hours per year is because I use Textpander on iOS and Texpand on Android. But the iOS doesn't allow overlay apps so have to switch the keyboard all the time and it's countraproductive. 

So really wish Evernote included the shortcut somewhere near the search box typing field. It's a quite simple design change.

I do a lot of searches and that's is the main reason I am sticking with Evernote because it is the note-taking app with a far superior search than any other similar product on the market. 

Somebody would argue, because I am doing search so often, it's because my notes are not organized and I should be using folders and tags. Well I am already using folders and tags, Ihave about 100 folders and dozens of tags already. I have about 1000 of different search expressions so I would need to have 1000 tags and scrolling through them makes no sense. So search is by far the most effective way to get the information I need (I save the most frequent searches, yes).

• Thanks 1
  • itoldusoandso changed the title to Just typing word "INTITLE:" takes me 7 hours per year. Add shortcut to quickly add to search field.
  • Solution

+1

This title really made me laugh, because I also use “intitle” so often it is ingrained in my vocabulary, but never thought to calculate the amount of time I spend typing it each year.

One tip if you are on iOS and Mac is to set a text replacement in the keyboard settings. I have it so that whenever I type “evnit” it replaces with “intitle:”. That really only saves a few keystrokes but they add up.

More frequently I use “evnrt”, which expands to the stupid-long search string required to only search titles of notes where I have a reminder... that expands to: “reminderOrder:* intitle:”

• Like 2

I use PhraseExpress to create shortcuts to inject the right texts, not only in Evernote. But everywhere.

it: could be "intitle:" or shorter qi would also work, as long as you never type qi normally. 😉

I make extensive use of AutoHotKey on Windows, keyboard shortcuts in iOS, and AutoKey on Linux to speed up typing often used phrases. E.g. type “qii” and get “Intitle”. I am sure something like that exists for Android too. No reason to program this into the service itself.

just for context, I have a convention that the first line of every one of my notes is the key terms; I call them search terms.  then I don't need intitle.  For most of the cases where I do want intitle (my titles are structured for lex sorting and readability), I have a saved search.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, aukirk said:

One tip if you are on iOS and Mac is to set a text replacement in the keyboard settings.

This definitively helps.  I'd like to replace it by a lazy tttt or ttttt.  That would help for sure on iOS.  On MacOS there are plenty of options for automating in addition to keyboard shortcuts.  Great.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, MvdH said:

I use PhraseExpress

It's the same method as TextExpander on ios, right? You have to actually run the keyboard to be able to have it replace the shortcut on iOS. Correct?

The non-ios keyboards suck, all of them, including PhraseExpress, they are junk, except maybe for Microsoft SwiftKey and Google gboard but both these don't have any macro function in. 

On 4/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, rrob said:

just for context, I have a convention that the first line of every one of my notes is the key terms; I call them search terms.  then I don't need intitle.  For most of the cases where I do want intitle (my titles are structured for lex sorting and readability), I have a saved search.

Interesting.  I'll give it a thought.  Should have made better choices but now I have 30,000 notes. Hard to change bad habits 😉

On 4/17/2021 at 8:57 AM, Wanderling Reborn said:

I make extensive use of AutoHotKey on Windows, keyboard shortcuts in iOS, and AutoKey on Linux to speed up typing often used phrases. E.g. type “qii” and get “Intitle”. I am sure something like that exists for Android too. No reason to program this into the service itself.

Right.  So all platforms except iOS are fine, there are options.   

Thanks Tomball for responding and particular @aukirk tip solves the issue for me. Most of searching happens on iPad for me anyways.

Still, I believe, Evernote should have included the shortcut somewhere. There are plenty of shortcuts which would great if I could type quick Boolean expression on ad-hoc basis whenever I want ... without need to give Evenote come coursing words. 

These are perhaps areas Evenore should have invested instead of plenty of tchotchkes over the years. 

12 hours ago, itoldusoandso said:

Right.  So all platforms except iOS are fine, there are options.   

Thanks Tomball for responding and particular @aukirk tip solves the issue for me. Most of searching happens on iPad for me anyways.

Still, I believe, Evernote should have included the shortcut somewhere. There are plenty of shortcuts which would great if I could type quick Boolean expression on ad-hoc basis whenever I want ... without need to give Evenote come coursing words. 

These are perhaps areas Evenore should have invested instead of plenty of tchotchkes over the years. 

iOS works the same as MacOS. You can preset keyboard shortcuts to type your most commonly used phrases with a few  unique characters.

e.g. if  I type "ppq" on my iPhone I get this:

Please contact me with any questions or comments. 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, itoldusoandso said:

Do these keyboard present macros sync between iOS and MacOS?

Yes, text replacement strings are sync'd to all apple devices 

I end all my triggers with ,,    
For example i,, would be replaced by intile: 

Tremendous I must say. I just discovered the wheel. And it syncs too. Genious. ;) 

UPDATE:

The only issue I have is when typing in Evernote to get the shortcut, Evernote displays an overlay search suggestions box on top of it, so the text replacement snippet is underneath it. But it works by typing ttt[SPACE]. It's just if Ihad two different shortcuts saved which I use for Evernote, Ican't see what I am selecting. 

Pic attached.

IMG_20210420_154731.jpg